Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion 16/12/2013 >

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

hammering down with rain here...NAE looking promising for here for a bit of snow tomorrow........confused by met office warning as actually reads worse than the yellow they have given it when you read the accompanying text...... it looks bad to me but maybe they are just waiting to try and get a more accurate idea of the areas to be worst affected in order that they can focus increased warnings more specifically...... or maybe hiya is right and actually its not going to be too bad!! we will find out tomorrow I guess

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I see the south of England has amber wind warnings for today and tomorrow - where as we are just yellow. I had thought it was supposed to be pants for them today and our turn tomorrow. but has the track changed? So now we avoid the worst?? Posted Image

Unless you're seeing it somewhere different the Amber warning down south is for rain, not wind. As far as I can see there's no wind warnings out at all for south of the border now, which I find astonishing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Morning all.

Happy Birthday Mardatha! Posted Image

Changed plans for travel to today instead of tomorrow. I see the south of England has amber wind warnings for today and tomorrow - where as we are just yellow. I had thought it was supposed to be pants for them today and our turn tomorrow. but has the track changed? So now we avoid the worst?? Posted Image

I think most of the ambers are for rain down South. However best to keep clear if you can.

Here cold rain toad at 3.2C. Was snowing earlier at my mums in Highland Perthshire with a few cms on the ground. Now turning sleety I am told.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Changed plans for travel to today instead of tomorrow. I see the south of England has amber wind warnings for today and tomorrow - where as we are just yellow. I had thought it was supposed to be pants for them today and our turn tomorrow. but has the track changed? So now we avoid the worst?? Posted Image

the warnings reflect likelihood of disruption, not severity of weather as such. 

So 35mph sustained/ 70mph gusts across most of Scotland is a bit tricky but we'll be fine = yellow.

But 25mph sustained/ 50mph gusts across some of SE England will take out trees not used to it, buildings not designed for it, etc. Plus a higher proportion of people who don't have experience to have learnt respect for the weather and so go out and do stupid things. 

Most of what might fall down/ blow over/ collapse/ go flying already did it in Scotland aeons ago… :)

Well, except the land itself. And we're kinda waiting to see how that one goes over the next week. That referendum may end up being about our independence from Denmark… 

• Like 9

Posted

Unless you're seeing it somewhere different the Amber warning down south is for rain, not wind. As far as I can see there's no wind warnings out at all for south of the border now, which I find astonishing.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

Posted

have a safe trip and great Christmas OTR.... It still looks as bad as anything we have had in recent times to me but hey who knows..... I will give the Met the benefit of the doubt and say they are focussing on accuracy rather than pinging out warnings left right and centre as they have been guilty of that in recent times and this cant be an easy forecast unless you stick to one word....

the weather will be #windy

• Like 3

Posted

Again, I'm completely puzzled that the Met Office don't have amber warnings out for up here, at least for tomorrow. They are still forecasting gusts of in excess of 90mph and NOAA is sill putting out for sustained windspeeds over 70mph up the Irish sea and along the west coast of Scotland.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Started raining 40 minutes ago. Surprisingly about 20 minutes ago it turned to sleet for a 10 minute spell.

I've been looking at the charts being posted on here and watching the BBC weather forecasts and the pressure maps that the BBC are showing don't look as bad as the ones being shown on here.

Earlier carol Kirkwood said there could be persistent snow across the central lowlands tomorrow. With 850 uppers above -5 I find that unlikely

Edited by GrangemouthBairn
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Meto updated there warning but still yellow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Happy birthday Mardatha!........Eat chocolate....loads of chocolate!Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Meto updated there warning but still yellow?

Yeah, warnings now updated. Yellow still covering us and extended southwards to cover the northern half of England. Amber warning now out for wind for Tuesday for the extreme SE corner of England for pretty much midnight until 6am.

Cold, heavy drizzle here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Happy birthday Mardatha!........Eat chocolate....loads of chocolate!Posted Image

Yes - if ever there was a time for trying really hard to gain weight, it's now - to help prevent you being blown away!

• Like 1

Posted

no snow warning for tomorrow though......they maybe however concentrating on wind and now they will be looking at the snow potential #wishfulthinking

absolutely hammering down here now (of rain)

• Like 1

Posted

Still snowing here and pretty windy too. Shame it was so wet to start off with otherwise we would've had a good covering of snow by now.

Electric went off for while but back on again for now, so am away to fill a flask with water just in case of more power cuts. 

Happy Birthday Mardatha Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Happy chocolateday, Mardatha, sounds like a good plan you have.

There's white stuff on the ground away from the immediate coastal strip around the firth, but only just starting to rain. Just a bit breezy, no howling just now, although the cats know something's wrong as they're actually in a bed rather than the usual on... Most odd, they must be using some esoteric feline algorithm...

Rather worryingly, the lights are flickering every few minutes. Maybe that's what's freaking the cats.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Power already been off here, went off at 11 and just back on now. Hellish wind and sleety snow.

Edited by mardatha

Posted

Pretty horrible, wet and windy outside now. A pity the temperature has taken an upward spike from this mornings 1.6C at Dyce up to a current 4.8C as otherwise it might have been a bit more interesting. Plenty of snow around Drumochter on the traffic cams but most other roads looking pretty clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Had all sorts here this morning, dry and overcast not too windy to rain with heavy blobs of snow mixed in, back to sleet then no rain and getting pretty windy.  Now baking like mad and keeping warm Posted Image  Peppermint creams next up. Hope the power stays on for a while. Lights have been flickering a little.

Whats with the 80% santa shaker prediction??

Happy Birthday Mardatha :)

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 2

Posted

We have an easterly component to the wind now as cats have come round to west facing windows asking to come in or be fed. Very dark, windy,  with sleet falling  and currently 2c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all! So, I took a baro reading this morning...985. Now it's down to 963.9. BOMBS AWAY!!!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image It's so calm just now. We have light rain and barely a breath of wind. So this surely has to be calm before the storm then.

Happy Choccy Birthday Mardatha! Girl after my own heart!

• Like 2