Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion 16/12/2013 >

LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Stuck here in the North Sea until 27th. Looking at the comments in the severe weather thread dont know if i should be worried or not.  Hope the roof on my hoose is still there when I get back.  Sunny morning here and not that windy.  Nice sunrise just before 9. 

• Like 7

Posted

Never known a month of such f*****g awful weather in all my life. Everyone on this island is bloody sick of it. Low after low. Day after day of 60+ mph gusts. And now a massive thunderstorm this morning, When will it end ?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

So dark here I can hardly see the other end of the livingroom. I'm so bloody sick of it as well. Mass depression lol

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well the 06z has moved Tuesday's storm a tad south of the 00zs and of course that makes it slightly worse for us (if it could get any worse)  We had better start praying for  downgrades  over the next few runs!Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The Xmas Eve blow isn't the end of it either, more evil Cyclops fiends on their way soon after.  Thereafter there's more hints at cold coming in, as BUS was pointing out last night.

Also there are a few good pix of Northern Lights on the front page of the Graun. They'll be gone soon though, and disappointingly it looks like it's just bloody advertising for some short & expensive tours.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

Yeah that storm is looking scary, especially at a time of year when lots of people will be travelling some distance to be with family. After a dry start to the morning it is now back to "normal" - wind and rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Huge Rainbow has appeared in the sky through very grey rain laden skies.

I sincerely hope that this stormy weather does downgrade its looking really scary. I think Blitzen may be right - BBQ the turkey and candle light for christmas dinner.

I have blanched and prepped my fresh veggies for christmas as i too refuse to shop in the storms mon/tues.

Luckily we don't have to travel anywhere this year, thank goodness.

Hope everyone stays safe. 

• Like 4

Posted

Hmmm.... that big cyclops thing on meteociel just now for  monday / tuesday doesn't look any more tightly packed than some of the lows we've had here in the past month, such as last midweek or late november.... only bigger and thus "spreadin' the love" across a larger area, perhaps ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Im off back down to the Pennines, stay save everyone over Christmas looks like its going to get rough, 20cm snow tonight over 200m in the highlands.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

My folks are currently planning to travel up to us from the Central belt on Tue. Mum said this mornings weather forecast suggested that Mon would be the worst day, but that could be south-centric. My reading of the raw charts would suggest Tue as the worst day for us as the isobars are closer together. Weather warning is too broad currently to be of any use. What do people here think, winds worse for Scotland on Mon or Tues?

Mixed day here so far. Dry and 6C initially, then hosed it down for a bit and temp dropped to 3C (borderline sleet in heavier bursts), now the sun is out and lots of blue sky.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Just had another mini power cut there...off for 2 minutes then back on again. Got a feeling we'll have a lot of this over the next 3 - 4 days.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Morning all. Jings....that storm appears to be upgrading every time I read the thread on here. Very concerning to say the least, especially as it is only 72hrs or so away. Here's one that is going to get all fresh stuff for the meal in before Sunday at the latest 'cause I sure as hell aint going out in that! Christmas dinner by candlelight anyone?/

Heck, even the Washington Post has picked up on it! Posted Image   (Nice to see you back BUS!)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/12/20/wicked-storm-may-threaten-united-kingdom-approaching-christmas-eve

one thing of notice for me from that article is the met office video at the bottom and when he shows the chart for Christmas day theres a little feature out to the west of northern Ireland it would be good if we see something like that run through as it could possibly give us all some snow.

• Like 1

Posted

some snow chances showing over the next few days on GFS

it has this for tomorrow

post-18233-0-57163100-1387636556_thumb.ppost-18233-0-15162500-1387636557_thumb.ppost-18233-0-56656900-1387636557_thumb.p

then on Tuesday

post-18233-0-98232600-1387636592_thumb.ppost-18233-0-42635300-1387636593_thumb.ppost-18233-0-86584400-1387636593_thumb.p

then some front edge snow on the 27th

post-18233-0-83061700-1387636635_thumb.p

and the NASA HIGH RES model has a few of us possibly waking up to the white stuff on the big day

post-18233-0-90642500-1387636686_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

NAO forecast doesn't seem to be much different from yesterday

post-18233-0-51205500-1387638726_thumb.g

AO forecast looks to be on the slide more than yesterday though

post-18233-0-68301200-1387638737_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Weather really closing in, yuck, chucking it down with rain, and worse i've got to go out tonight - i'm def taking the car to the door in this! Hope i can get parked somewhere closeby!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Guess who just got caught in it  :) absolutely blasting doon. I want a month in the Caribbean, I haddit wi this !

• Like 4

Posted

Guess who just got caught in it  Posted Image absolutely blasting doon. I want a month in the Caribbean, I haddit wi this !

Yeah getting really sick of it too, much rather have tons of snow!!

Not looking forward to driving tonight or searching for parking in Edinburgh tonight either! All dressed up and likely to be drenched i think!

• Like 3

Posted

Is anyone else finding netweather 7/10 day forecasts a bit inaccurate these days or is it just me?

Hmmm.... that big cyclops thing on meteociel just now for  monday / tuesday doesn't look any more tightly packed than some of the lows we've had here in the past month, such as last midweek or late november.... only bigger and thus "spreadin' the love" across a larger area, perhaps ?

It does actually look that bad I agree.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well what do you guys fink? ....940mbs/UKMO or 925mbs/GFS?   I'm starting to go cross-eyed!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Man it's wet.

You think if I order an ark right now I'll get it before Christmas or is it too late?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Well what do you guys fink? ....940mbs/UKMO or 925mbs/GFS?   I'm starting to go cross-eyed!

I'm gonna go for sub 920mb. This low is gonna love the cold air and warm air mixing as it develops. 

• Like 4

Posted

I've told my folks to travel on the Monday now, storm looks pretty serious to me with a lot of people on the roads before xmas. The one a few weeks back wasnt nearly as bad (if it verifies) and that was pretty serious 

• Like 3