Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion 16/12/2013 >

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

With the Atlantic super charged and delivering low upon low, a really active end to 2013 ahead, thought it best to kick off a new thread as we approach 2014.

Amazing number of hits on the last thread, and great to see this remain a really popular place for real-time discussion of Scottish Weather, thanks to all the regular contributors and would also like to extend a warm welcome to those of you who look in, and are yet to join in, the more the merrier.

45 pages , 25 K views. Great work folks !!!

On to a new thread for the countdown to 2014 here..

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78776-scotland-regional-discussion-16122013/

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

ooh first to dirty Lorenzo's lovely new thread Posted Image

Just to add my folks had snow today - came to nothing but certainly must have been a few degrees colder up the road than here in Perth today.

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

I setup a (complicated) weather marker in my digiguide to show me a list of upcoming TV programmes related to the weather. Here is a list for those interested:

18th - 01:05 - 4seven: Britain's Killer Storms

18th - 21:00 - more4: The Year Britain Froze

19th - 21:00 - more4: Is Our Weather Getting Worse

20th - 21:00 - more4: Snowstorm - Britain's Big Freeze

21st - 21:00 - more4: Snowstorm - Britain's Big Freeze

22nd - 21:00 - Quest: Raging Planet

24th - 21:00 - Quest: Raging Planet

26th - 21:00 - more4: The Year Britain Froze

26th - 22:00 - more4: Is Our Weather Getting Worse

28th - 17:00 - Yesterday: Weather That Changed The World

28th - 19:55 - more4: Snowstorm - Britain's Big Freeze

28th - 21:00 - more4: Britain's Killer Storms

29th - 09:00 - Yesterday: Weather That Changed The World

30th - 13:25 - Channel 5: Winter Road Rescue

We watched "Britain's Killer Storms" on Channel 4 the other night and it is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

Happy Festive Weather Watching Posted Image

EDIT:

And if you are a digiguide user (and at this time of the year - you really should be), here is the search I am using for my weather marker (it's not perfect, but it drops most of the unrelated stuff)

("storm" or "storms" or "flood" or "flooding" or "snow" or "snowfall" or "freeze" or "freezing" or "thunderstorm" or "thunderstorms") AND ("wind" or "winds" or "worst" or "bizarre" or "unusual" or "deadly" or "extreme" or "winter")
Edited by Andrew Simon Jones
  • Like 6

Posted

With all the stormy weather forecast this week I thought I'd post an alternative music track that while not strictly a Xmas one it is seasonal. Something for those hankering for snow.

Ten Benson 'Snowman, Snowgirl'. I can't take the credit for video featuring quite a few snowmen. Some of them are pretty spectacular.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

To be fair I'm awfy confused so much weather lows incoming canny keep track no much going on in the other discussion forum I take it it's no far enough south ah well

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

ooh first to dirty Lorenzo's lovely new thread Posted Image

Just to add my folks had snow today - came to nothing but certainly must have been a few degrees colder up the road than here in Perth today.

Where's the folks OTR?

A much cooler and showery day here. 3.5C with a fresh Westerly breeze currentLY.

Traffic Scotland showing snow falling at Glenogle just now.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Where is everyone tonight? Awfy quiet.

More horrible windy weather to come wed/fri :( Not looking forward to this at all.

Posted

Pretty sure I saw a flash to my North West earlier, around 21:30. 

Anyhoo, a quieter day ended with an intense downpour.

Found another piccy from Saturday. Think Grangemouth residents had a squeaky bottom moment!!!

post-2849-0-63262600-1387238008_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

LS - added your excellent summary from the last thread to this one, great starting point. 

18z deepens sees the low exit the main pulse of the upper jet and stall at 51 hrs.

post-7292-0-17972800-1387239050_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-98332700-1387238872_thumb.pn

So, a lively night Weds. night and an evening satellite run vs. overnight with initiation around 7am of Weds. morning.

post-7292-0-88415200-1387239205_thumb.pn

Wonder what the UKMO will do with #emily in the next 24 hrs..

Pub run , throws in the works for Xmas Eve & Xmas Day..

post-7292-0-81337300-1387239297_thumb.pn

Other than chasing Greenland High, Easterly or within 24/48 hrs of SSWs model watching doesn't get as dynamic as this..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Another morning of runs and we've edged 24 hours closer to a potential Ermintude (there won't be many leaves left on that tree behind her). 

post-6412-0-44373000-1387266487_thumb.jp

If it verifies, Santa's trip to deliver prezzies to Kiltland is going to be a lively one...

post-6412-0-32595200-1387266574_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! A wee breeze here, canny see much else 'cos it's still dark! Temp is 6c. Watching those charts with great interest and starting to tie everything down in the garden. Next few days look interesting and as for Christmas day.....well!!!! That could be quite scary, defo not for the fainthearted! ( Not that I'm suggesting that anyone in Kiltland is fainthearted.....far from it! ) I know it's probably too early yet to say how powerful that particular storm will get, but at least on here there is plenty of info available.....unlike some other weather related sites. Many thanks to all our very knowledgeable Kilties who keep us updated and give us a swift slap on the wrist if there is the merest suggestion of an over enthusiastic or unnecessary ramp! Thank you for all the time and trouble you all take to keep us informed and to explain to the amateur weather watchers like myself who can sometimes find it all a bit confusing! Let's hear it  furra Kilties! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning. 2.1/1,5c/SW. Quite a nice day really. Calm before tomorrow's storm I believe. We do appear to be stuck in a rut  with all this unsettled, relatively mild weather.

Joe B wonders if we could be in for changes come January? I hope so, as I need a snow fix now!

Joe B:

360 hour showing blocking trying to develop over the top.. a real forecast challenge for Jan GLOBALLY pic.twitter.com/8Vpt5I0h6x

Posted Image
Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

06z run suggests many will have avoided severe gales except far north west. See what next couple of runs bring, but so far it's possibly not as bad as being made out.Posted Image

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Sunny, breezy morning, 4c but ice was an issue earlier - a colleague went off the road near Milnathort (not hurt thankfully).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Dear Santa,Can you please let it be....................................

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Posted Imageimage.jpg..................Posted Imageimage.jpg

Yes that looks good, the higher up you are the better.

Posted

Nice bright day and currently 4.9c. Geese have been in our neighbours fields for months now .In the last few days some have been roosting in the fields all night.Sign of winds at the coast or are they feeding up as much as they can before snow arrives. I think the the geese models say real winter is on the way!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Nice bright day and currently 4.9c. Geese have been in our neighbours fields for months now .In the last few days some have been roosting in the fields all night.Sign of winds at the coast or are they feeding up as much as they can before snow arrives. I think the the geese models say real winter is on the way!

there has been a distinct lack of animal modelling on this thread this year........i think we need to up our instances of this full proof forecasting procedure....... I have now not seen my grey squirrel in the garden for 5 months......... this tells me he is hibernating away because of impending snowmageddon or most likely the poor wee guy is broon bread!!

• Like 5

Posted

my goats aren't really forecasting snow they are normally eating machines ,a day or so before it arrives ,think they are just feeling soggy 

• Like 3