Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 15/12/13 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Anyone checking wind speeds on south coast. In my sheltered b&b feeling very sorry for myself I can certainly hear it absolutely howling out there... Think the rain has eased? Sounds nuts out there.

Posted

The radar is amazing, I have seen a long narrow squall line many times previously but not a broken one like this evening. Power hose rain here for 10 minutes and temperature now dropped back to 8.1c from 9.9c 15 mins ago.

Indeed. A nice example of LEWP (Line Echo Wave Pattern).
  • Like 1

Posted

The radar is amazing, I have seen a long narrow squall line many times previously but not a broken one like this evening. Power hose rain here for 10 minutes and temperature now dropped back to 8.1c from 9.9c 15 mins ago.

That is LEWP on the cold front.

post-3838-0-12567800-1387403243_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

evening all.

well that was intense, but now the wind has dropped to a light breeze and the moon is out, strange evening.

fromey

Posted

Indeed. A nice example of LEWP (Line Echo Wave Pattern).

My son tweeted you about said LEWP earlier @mallardwill

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

30.5mm here and now the moon is shining from an almost clear sky and the wind is non existent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

note heavy snow for princetown according to MO. Local news suggesting a band of ppn mid afternoon for an hour could surprise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Main trough seems to be heading further northwards affecting mid wales/midlands more now. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well ended up with a max wind of 41mph on the house. Bear in mind that the wind tonight was coming from a southerly direction this evening so the worst of the winds were out in the field where 45-55mph gusts probably occoured.

I was out in the garden during all that wind, it was certainly eerie at times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Wow that was a squall... Like the crazy precip lines on this:

Yes was on the way to pepper pot just off junction 14 at the time. Was immense rain and for a time could not see a metre infront of me. Amazing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Main trough seems to be heading further northwards affecting mid wales/midlands more now. Posted Image

Sounds like this is the first letdown of the winter for snowfall in parts of our region, forecasts yesterday had us smack in the firing line, mainly high ground, but I noticed the forecasts today pushing the main action further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

note heavy snow for princetown according to MO. Local news suggesting a band of ppn mid afternoon for an hour could surprise.

Still looking good so far.... Hope the heavy snow sticks now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Sounds like this is the first letdown of the winter for snowfall in parts of our region, forecasts yesterday had us smack in the firing line, mainly high ground, but I noticed the forecasts today pushing the main action further north.

Yes I see Ian F comment about it being further north but lets hope it might just get shifted back southwards last min. Posted Image As it stands it looks like a few sleety showers on the edge of trough so less likely to see anything. Such a shame because lunchtime and mid afternoon forecasts looked great for most of region.

Posted

13.3mm the final count..

Now a brisk 3.1°C, that certainly different this morning, was an ice scraping event!

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Bit of damage around this morning while walking to work. Couple of fencing panels down & what looked liked fallen down tree in Priory school.

Some minor flooding on roads through Tickenham.

Posted

30mm in my gauge in addition to 20mm and 9mm from two prior 24 hour periods this week!

But what a glorious clear and chilly morning today, it'll be great to have sunshine for most of the day before the potentially wintry trough arrives later.

2.3c at present.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Its a cold morning here, currently 0.2c... Looks like it tried to snow as there is a very slight dusting on the roof....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The NMM doesn't really fancy the idea of the wintry weather further south, although detail is sketchy,  snow would be restricted to the highest levels. 

post-15177-0-41994800-1387445956_thumb.p post-15177-0-79285200-1387445963_thumb.p post-15177-0-63009000-1387445974_thumb.p post-15177-0-09955600-1387445984_thumb.p post-15177-0-66146400-1387445995_thumb.p post-15177-0-82614300-1387446020_thumb.p 

The new Euro4 model shows a better area of interest but again, probably over high ground.

post-15177-0-22106900-1387446031_thumb.g

Posted

Just ran through the GFS, looking extremely wet, not surprising there's warnings out for Friday night in to Saturday, large totals. Another system comes in for Monday, probably during rush hour in the West, could be looking at more large totals & flooding, not good just before Xmas.

• Like 1

Posted

The blitzortung app on my phone showing a few strikes off the corwall coast.

Yup - Very cold ELT's in the West and South coast, so it's good for hail development, it does fade this afternoon though.

post-15177-0-76701400-1387451622_thumb.j post-15177-0-07067500-1387452023_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Just got in and to the west it looks like the world is ending, Menacing looking clouds and its getting dark....

EDIT: Hail now hammering down

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 4

Posted

Just got in and to the west it looks like the world is ending, Menacing looking clouds and its getting dark....

EDIT: Hail now hammering down

I'm hoping the pointing I've just finished doesn't get washed out later, only day I had to finish it before Xmas, and probably the best day too.

post-15177-0-68117000-1387459099_thumb.p post-15177-0-73928200-1387459114_thumb.p