Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 15/12/13 18z ------>

A.J

Posted

26.5mm here to 09.00.  River Wriggle has burst its banks in several places, as has the Yeo between Sherborne and Yeovil.  Seems odd to me that a relatively small amount of rain into rivers that were very, very low has caused so much flooding.  Probably going to be worse by tomorrow.

I was thinking that too, the ground everywhere seems absolutely sodden despite it hardly raining for a fortnight or so before Friday. Perhaps the water table hadn't gone down very far after the extremely wet mid October-mid November period?

There was quite an impressive squall go through Bristol at 11 this morning, torrential rain and strong winds while driving in it. Now just drizzly again.

Squall line over here now, pretty impressive on the radar too as the rain moves quite quickly SW-NE along the front but with the front only very slowly moving NW-SE.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Just driven through a very heavy downpour in Yeovil which only skimmed our village.

Yes, I guess the water table is further up than we know, but it has been a pretty dry year all in all...so far...don't tempt it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Meridian weather seems to be behind or their forecast at 4pm was from yesterday. Mr Parkin mentioned a met office warning and 2" of rain, there is a mass of rain in the channel but the warnings were removed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

7.2c. Was a max of 12.2 at  04:53.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Funny day temp wise started around 11.6 at midnight stayed around that temp until midday when at last it started to fall dropping to 6.5 ish by 4pm where it has settled ever since. 

Looking at the charts I'm not hopeful of anything (Snow) from this supposed cold zonal set up. At least its a dry day tomorrow!

Posted

Got the heating on then! phew, hot in your house!

I was waiting for somebody to mention that :lol:The light was on for hours, it actually heats the unit up quite a bit if left on for a long period of time, it was about 21C. :) Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Looking pretty wild on south facing coasts tomorrow, even inland it will cause a few problems.

post-15177-0-40509200-1387282339_thumb.j

Those projected gusts around Dorset aren't far short of the St Jude storm, which makes sense when looking at the high resolution NMM model..

post-15177-0-44901700-1387282419_thumb.p post-15177-0-60046700-1387282430_thumb.p post-15177-0-31178100-1387282444_thumb.p post-15177-0-28895300-1387282454_thumb.p

It's going to be an atrocious evening/night tomorrow, and very hazardous with the heavy rain combined. Posted Image

And the yellow warning has arrived:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=6&lon=-3.48&lat=51.55&fcTime=1387238400&regionName=sw

post-15177-0-13958300-1387283917_thumb.j post-15177-0-18922000-1387283936_thumb.j

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Ah this is better, the temperature is nearer where it should be in mid December at 6.7c currently and plenty of sunshine too, although the frontal cloud is lingering to the SE and there is some mist over the very wet / sodden fields.

Posted

Weather warning as gales up to 70mph and heavy rain to hit Devon tomorrow

Devon is expected to be hit by high winds tomorrow as the Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning.

Heavy rain and gales are expected to affect the South West with gusts of up to 50 or 60mph expected, and 70mph likely in exposed coastal areas.

A chief forecaster for the Met Office said: “Heavy rain and gales will affect South and West Wales, South West England and some southern coastal counties of England on Wednesday evening. â€œGusts will reach 50 to 60 mph quite widely, with 70 mph gusts likely in exposed coastal areas. Heavy rain may also cause some localised flooding across parts of Wales and South West England. â€œThe rain will clear and strongest winds will ease by the early hours of Thursday morning.â€

The warning issued today is expected to last from 3pm tomorrow until midnight. The weather is likely to remain very windy on Thursday with sunshine, showers and feeling colder. Turning wet and windy again on Friday with the unsettled conditions lasting into Saturday.

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Weather-warning-gales-70mph-heavy-rain-hit-Devon/story-20331695-detail/story.html#ixzz2nkDDUc4k

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot thundery summers.

My overnight minimum of 12.2 C read yesterday morning appears to be the warmest December night for 65 years in North Somerset.

• Like 1

Posted

Along with the wind weather warning, there are now yellow alerts for rain for Cornwall, Devon, and just edging into Somerset for Friday and Saturday;

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=sw&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387324800

Posted

Along with the wind weather warning, there are now yellow alerts for rain for Cornwall, Devon, and just edging into Somerset for Friday and Saturday;

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=sw&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387324800

GFS latest animated for tomorrow into Thursday:

Posted Image

Then Friday:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Looking pretty wild on south facing coasts tomorrow, even inland it will cause a few problems.

Posted ImageIMG_20131217_112653.JPG

Those projected gusts around Dorset aren't far short of the St Jude storm, which makes sense when looking at the high resolution NMM model..

Posted Imageviewimage.png Posted Imageviewimage (1).png Posted Imageviewimage (2).png Posted Imageviewimage (3).png

It's going to be an atrocious evening/night tomorrow, and very hazardous with the heavy rain combined. Posted Image

And the yellow warning has arrived:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=6&lon=-3.48&lat=51.55&fcTime=1387238400&regionName=sw

Posted ImageIMG_20131217_123628.JPG Posted ImageIMG_20131217_123705.JPG

This actually looks like it will be very similar to the strong winds we had back last year in November.

Posted

Met Office has me down for sleet Thursday and Friday!! At least that's something!!

The power of elevation eh?! The latest met office outlook might be of interest to you as well, if not anyone else in this regional!UK Outlook for Sunday 22 Dec 2013 to Tuesday 31 Dec 2013:It is likely to remain very unsettled through the Christmas period, with frequent spells of strong winds and rainfall. This will be interspersed with some brighter, showery weather at times. Severe gale force winds are possible, most likely in the north and west, although nowhere looks to be immune. Rain is also likely to be heavy at times, especially in the west, which will lead to a risk of some flooding. Temperatures are most likely to be near or above normal for December at first, but then trending a little colder, more especially later, when there looks to be an increasing risk of some snow in the north and on hills, whilst night frosts may become more common.This suggests snowfall to lower ground up north and snow on the hills in the south at times, which you may well benefit from :)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Wind and rain Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.. Must stay in,  4.6c. with a light breeze at the moment. 

Posted

I fear we'll be waiting til at least mid-Jan before any real cold and snow turns up in our area...and that's no more than a hopecast.

This winter's got all the hallmarks of an early 70s or late 90s feel to it.

Right now an early Feb '09 will do me.

March cold, like this year? No thanks!

Posted

All this talk of wanting cold and snow, are you lot mad, wind and mild days for me all the way....not so keen on the wet though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

All this talk of wanting cold and snow, are you lot mad, wind and mild days for me all the way....not so keen on the wet though.

Posted Image ----------------------------------------------------------------------------^

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Posted Image ----------------------------------------------------------------------------^

I agree with rich here I'm afraid!

Everyone has there own preferences in the weather, I personally love the wind as I think it is one of the most exciting things the weather can show apart from thunder and lightning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I agree with rich here I'm afraid!

Everyone has there own preferences in the weather, I personally love the wind as I think it is one of the most exciting things the weather can show apart from thunder and lightning.

of course they do, nothing wrong with that. I do like a good storm, anything is better than the big Euro HP bringing us cloudy mild blurrhh imo.

• Like 1

Posted

of course they do, nothing wrong with that. I do like a good storm, anything is better than the big Euro HP bringing us cloudy mild blurrhh imo.

Have to agree, it's been boring for to long now, saying that I wish the rain would sod off for a day, my bloody shoes are wet again because stupid here left them outside.

Have to agree, it's been boring for to long now, saying that I wish the rain would sod off for a day, my bloody shoes are wet again because stupid here left them outside.

Not with the mild bit though.Posted Image