Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 15/12/13 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Easy tiger. Posted Image

It's Christmas you have to forgive me for the optimism Posted Image

Just turned black as night outside and now we have some real rain...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Hey GTLTW how far away you reckon that line on the radar is from Newbs - looking evil. Cant leave work just yet. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Brace yourself guys due East of Bristol, Wells area etc. as there is a nasty squall like feature a coming over the next hour or so.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78846-severe-atlantic-storms-over-the-christmas-period-2/?p=2871384

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Recon to miss that as in between...hopefully...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Next in line for the squall like feature are areas due South from a line through Chippenham, Trowbridge, Melksham and Warminster over the next ten minutes I imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Wind has suddenly eased here over last half hour with rain now steady moderate, must be the calm before the storm this evening Posted Image

Posted

Next in line for the squall like feature are areas due South from a line through Chippenham, Trowbridge, Melksham and Warminster over the next ten minutes I imagine.

I was going to leave Reading but think Ill leave it for a bit then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Impressive line convection passing through here, absolutely torrential rain associated with it

• Like 1

Posted

I was going to leave Reading but think Ill leave it for a bit then!

Job to know as Nick F reckons the squall will slow down and I'm imagining it will hit my area between 4.15pm and 4.30pm, if still intact by then. Next on its agenda are the Faringdon, Swindon, Marlborough area over the next fifteen minutes or so.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Job to know as Nick F reckons the squall will slow down and I'm imagining it will hit my area between 4.15pm and 4.30pm, if still intact by then. Next on its agenda are the Faringdon, Swindon, Marlborough area over the next fifteen minutes or so.

Squall line is broken as it approaches us, rain is still intense even without the squall.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted

The wind has eased a lot here and rain virtually stopped, though light rain again now. Had 23mm according to the Davis (though that could be a slight overread... the manual gauge says 21.4mm though it's possible it had some slight sheltering due to the wind strength).

Max gust in this valley was 48mph, same as Wednesday evening, although some minor sheltering due to the neighbours house being in the way..

Also went right through the gap in the squall line, which seems to have happened with every interesting squall line feature recently..

post-7593-0-63757700-1387813999_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Stunning squalli line with visible updraughts in the low Stratocumulus, torrential rain and eerily the wind has dropped right out as I type. Also it has got virtually dark earlier than it usually would on a dull wet day so the cloud must be very very dense.

Today's most impressive aspect for me has been how the rain has come in sudden squally bursts which have stopped as soon as they've started.

My sister in law works at Longleat in the safari section, they had 3 trees blow down this morning which caused the safari part to be closed for safety reasons today!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Really calm here .............very spooky.Fences, tree branches and the like have caused disruption.M5 lines closed due to surface water between j 25-26 .......

WhaT a day !

Posted

Won't be long now, given the radar is delayed by ten minutes or so, still bang on time. Add another hour on and it'll be between Reading and London by then I imagine.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78770-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-151213-18z/?p=2871498

Wouldn't want to be driving along the A4 or M4 around Newbury or in fact up the A34 towards Oxford into this bad boy right now.

post-7183-0-99042800-1387815198_thumb.pn

Posted

Won't be long now, given the radar is delayed by ten minutes or so, still bang on time. Add another hour on and it'll be between Reading and London by then I imagine.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78770-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-151213-18z/?p=2871498

Wouldn't want to be driving along the A4 or M4 around Newbury or in fact up the A34 towards Oxford into this bad boy right now.

Posted Image1600GMT 231213 NW v6 radar.png

Just heard on good authority because of extreme weather conditions an health and safety,Santas sleigh run has been cancelled for tomorrow evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

A lull now for Western/South Western parts of the region before round 2 commences later this evening although this time more concentrated on rainfall rather than winds.

• Like 2

Posted

Posted Image1600GMT 231213 NW v6 radar.png

Ill hang on then a bit longer before setting off! Let me know when it has passed Newbury!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

That squall was amazing! Was at shepton when it hit - got back to the car and the force of the water under ground was coming up through the pavement. Was very worried about making it home as the amount of surface water was amazing

post-9503-0-36156600-1387816628_thumb.jp

Edited by khodds
  • Like 3

Posted

Noticeable easing of the wind over the last 15-20mins, now down to 35mph sustained and gusting 40mph

Squall line re-emeged over the channel after passing through with little or no effect here.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather

Torrential rain again after a lull with gusty winds.............

Posted

Ill hang on then a bit longer before setting off! Let me know when it has passed Newbury!

Passing through here now and not so bad in my patch after all, these squalls don't do much over Newbury it seems but nonetheless, I'm never one to take them lightly. As AWD suggests, a quieter period now, especially wind wise before a ramping up again with Severe Gale force gusts if not higher into the overnight period, more especially towards the South Coast and parts due SE of say the Berkshire/Wiltshire Downs. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

That squall was amazing! Was at shepton when it hit - got back to the car and the force of the water under ground was coming up through the pavement. Was very worried about making it home as the amount of surface water was amazing

That's an incredible picture with water pouring out of the pavement... never seen that before! Posted Image

Still widly, wet and windy here, with reports of branches down.

Hope you make it safely home soon...

Posted

Think it is just passing Reading (junction 11) now? not sure few large gusts just now and it is pouring so I suspect it is...

Posted

I keep seeing 'flashes' outside now and then. First was like green colour quickly followed by orange and then 5 mins later a purple one. I am sure its not lightning but I am unsure as to what it is. No power loss or anything . Anyway lol is there worse to come? Gone calm here now