Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 15/12/13 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold WInters, Hot & Thundery Summers

Happy New Year everyone, hope this year brings all the weather you wish for, but especially snow in winter and mahossive thunderstorms in summer Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.Thunder Storms

Happy New Year from Deepest Darkest Somerset Posted Image Had Thunder and Lightning most of the evening and a few Flashes just after Midnight. Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day……………..T&L…….Had more T&L, this Winter than in the SummerPosted Image

Posted

not from this area  just popped in looking at the  radar /  via   rain alarm  nasty looking weather heading in

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Blimey, here it comes again... Getting quite worried.

Posted

Tinybill, welcome to the 'friendly thread' please send our New Year's best wishes to all in East Anglia!

Yes I have been watching the radar with interest, blowy and wet here but the pulse of heaviest rain now seems set for the Portsmouth to Bognor stretch of coast. Winter cloud often seems to sheer off along the Channel Coastline before coming inland. Possibly this is due to the relief of coastal land and relatively warm sea encouraging dense moist air to go around rather than over sea cliffs.

Channel thunderstorms in summer do seem much more willing to come straight ashore at Portland

Wormster - yes it is looking to be heading for you!

Edited by egret
  • Like 1

Posted

Tinybill, welcome to the 'friendly thread' please send our New Year's best wishes to all in East Anglia!

Yes I have been watching the radar with interest, blowy and wet here but the pulse of heaviest rain now seems set for the Portsmouth to Bognor stretch of coast. Winter cloud often seems to sheer off along the Channel Coastline before coming inland. Possibly this is due to the relief of coastal land and relatively warm sea encouraging dense moist air to go around rather than over sea cliffs.

Channel thunderstorms in summer do seem much more willing to come straight ashore at Portland

Wormster - yes it is looking to be heading for you!

Hi Egret, yes I sent most of Xmas clearing up after floods and opening up the ditch next to the house to encourage better drainage.  It's sobering to see all that precipitation in linear formation lining up to make landfall this morning.  This is exactly what happened on the night of 23 Dec.  Fingers crossed.

Posted

Awful here. According to the radar it should be clearing soon but the rain is coming in sideways from the West. Fence has detached itself from next doors conservatory and being held up by our covered bench. Recycling doing the Hokey cokey around the garden

Edited by Cakie
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all and happy New Year

What better wya to ease the old weather year out than a cracking thunderstorm just before midnight, and a belter it was too.

As for today, well, it's look wet doesn't it?

Posted

I haven't been able to keep track of the build up to today's LOW but it is reminding me very closely of just 9 days ago (Mon 23rd Dec) with how there are gales and heavy rain sweeping NE this morning, a gap in the persistent rainfall for a few hours showing clearly now approaching Devon/Cornwall but a nasty looking large mass of rain further to the S/SW for later in the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Happy New Year to all!

Sadly, I missed out on the thundery activity last night. It chucked it down for a bit but there wasn't any thunder or lightning here. This morning is awful, we are certainly starting 2014 on a very similar note to how 2013 ended. I echo Andy's sentiments above, it certainly does remind me of the Dec 23rd storm, had 13.0mm so far today, so a little way to reach the 36.2mm that fell that day but it does look like that familiar RAIN lull RAIN pattern of that day. Any amount of rainfall will certainly not help the conditions out here.

Posted

Certainly was very wet and windy this morning, wind seemed almost as strong as from any of the recent storms/lows here, though it's now eased a bit.

Heavy rain slamming into my window woke me up early this morning, as did a heavy shower with hail doing the same around 4:30am. Even when the heavy rain has eased this morning we had what could perhaps be described as lashing drizzle, or fine-dropped rain. Although that had eased for a bit just now.

I have already seen my first lightning of this year, as when being driven home about 1:30am I saw two flashes to the south, though looking at the radar they were pretty far out in the channel. It looks like I'd have seen more to the SSE if I'd been awake about 3:30am..

Posted

Good morning and happy new year to you all!

Horrible weather both at home and in Devon (been in both places today) and some terrible conditions (flooding, spray etc) on the roads... As Somerset Squall says, any amount of rainfall is now concerning due to how wet the ground is and how high the river levels are!

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Happy New year to one and all !  Haven't been out ..........i can imagine certain spots near me being troublesome.....................

I'm surprised more damage hasn't been done ...............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: after the last year not rain rain & more rain!

Happy New Year to all, once again foul conditions here in south devon. Stay safe, please please can we have some dry weather in the new year. This current spell of wet has gone on long enough !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

*** WEATHER WATCH For Cornwall, Scilly & Channel Islands: http://www.cciweather.co.uk/warnings/4573724904 ***

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Happy new year all! Posted Image

New year... same **** weather Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Happy 2014, everyone. Most peculiar to have a thunderstorm mixed up with the fireworks at midnight last night. Also had thunder as I was wrapping presents at 5.30am on Christmas morning. Sick to death of the filthy weather and soggy underfoot, but I suppose it's good for all our fuel bills...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Happy 2014, everyone. Most peculiar to have a thunderstorm mixed up with the fireworks at midnight last night. Also had thunder as I was wrapping presents at 5.30am on Christmas morning. Sick to death of the filthy weather and soggy underfoot, but I suppose it's good for all our fuel bills...

Problem is heating is on just as much to try and dry my clothes Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

10.8mm of rain yesterday's storms! I had two separate thundershowers pass through last night, torrential hail, the lightning was pretty much overhead as the bang was instant. I got caught in a third hail shower when walking home at around 2am-ish. :)

Currently 10.1C with gales and more heavy rain, 11mm so far today. HNY!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

10.6c. Rain lashing on windows .Breeze southerly 15.8 km/h  gusting to 23.4 km/h

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms

Been horrendous on the island, radar showing more intense rain to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

It's raining.