Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 15/12/13 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Squall line seeming to be passing through west Wight right now.  Uplift in winds and precipitation. No flooding this time round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It turned exceptionally squally here for a few mins, also, some fractocumulus appeared, it was moving at a fair old rate of knots!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

14.7mm today

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Really getting very fed up with the constant gales express train.

So far we have managed to avoid additional damage to the roof since the storm of 23/24rd but I cant say how secure the rest is so even lesser wind speeds are still a worry.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

That was a wild night!! We have had 76.6mm of rain since midnight and a high gust of 51mph.... Wish this would all stop now....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

14.7mm today

My station didn't record much again, due to the wind. It didn't really rain that much here though, it was heavier for 20mins at the back of the front. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

7,8mm.Today ..My total is only 87.6mm for the month.

Temperature is now 6.0c.  Breeze Southerly 7.2 km/h.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I do like the cold weather......

So are we going to get anything that resembles a Winter in January and February '14 [in the Plymouth and Cornwall areas/ice and snow/chilling winds etc-etc],as it has been on the mild side so far.

Or will this mild air stretch into Spring,followed by what was seen in 2013 - ''another severe cold snap'' ?.

9.4c outside at the moment,with plenty of cloud and a breeze. More wet and windy weather coming in for the next two days. NYD has been forecast to be bloody terrible.

I am watching a Channel Four documentary on the cold snaps of 2010. It seems like a life-time ago that that happened.

Edited by WestCountry11

Posted

My station didn't record much again, due to the wind. It didn't really rain that much here though, it was heavier for 20mins at the back of the front. Posted Image

I'm convinced we had more than that, as  it was raining quite hard, but i registered very little for about an hour, happened to be when the rain was horizontal  

Glad i have someone local to verify against, as my program locked up at 2am, and didn't read anything until I rest it late this am.

Posted Image definitely good to have someone local to compare local variables with

Posted

So are we going to get anything that resembles a Winter in January and February '14 [in the Plymouth and Cornwall areas/ice and snow/chilling winds etc-etc],as it has been on the mild side so far.

Or will this mild air stretch into Spring,followed by what was seen in 2013 - ''another severe cold snap'' ?.

9.4c outside at the moment,with plenty of cloud and a breeze. More wet and windy weather coming in for the next two days. NYD has been forecast to be bloody terrible.

I am watching a Channel Four documentary on the cold snaps of 2010. It seems like a life-time ago that that happened.

Some serious warming of the Strat being modelled consistently by the GFS of late, the 12z today especially, which always good for cold potential!

Posted Image

I've not looked in the Mod thread or Strat thread yet today, but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's been picked up on in there

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

Hopefully not, that's my view anyway, I hate the cold, frosts and snow look good on Christmas cards but that's it for me....keep the mild air coming!!! We could do with getting shot of the rain though, have loads of gardening to do and the ground is water logged.

Posted

Hopefully not, that's my view anyway, I hate the cold, frosts and snow look good on Christmas cards but that's it for me....keep the mild air coming!!! We could do with getting shot of the rain though, have loads of gardening to do and the ground is water logged.

Each to there own, but give me snow and cold in the winter months and lots of it pleasePosted Image , give me High Pressure, sun and Hot temps in summer, with the odd thunder storm thrown inPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Some serious warming of the Strat being modelled consistently by the GFS of late, the 12z today especially, which always good for cold potential!

Posted Image

I've not looked in the Mod thread or Strat thread yet today, but I'd bet my bottom dollar it's been picked up on in there

Shame that's at +384 but one to keep an eye on that's for sure! 

• Like 1

Posted

7.2mm rain today and a mere 660mm for the year.

Had some mighty gusts this morning with a maximum of 46mph.  I would be terrified if we had the gust speeds that some people are reporting.

All calm here tonight and although it felt really cold when I went out earlier, it is 6.7c now.

Posted

Mostly Cloudy . Settled. 6.0c. Breeze light S.W. 7.2 km/h.

Posted

Pretty lively gusts with rain yesterday morning, reaching 46mph on my station (a notch down from the 48mph we've reached on 2 days this month). Then it cleared by mid-late morning (can't remember exactly when) to a nice mostly sunny day. Went to Exmouth in the afternoon and half the beach is now on the road..

Saw something I hadn't seen the day before though, it was a frosty start with a -2.3c min during the night, but despite the temperature climbing to 9.2c during the day, I found in some shaded spots there was still patches of frost low down on the ground/grass at the end of the day! Never seen that after the temp reaching 9.2c before.. at a guess as the wind was light southerly these shaded spots were also sheltered from any breeze as well as the sun, so cold ground/air near the ground wasn't disturbed..?

This morning a brief line of heavy rain, followed by just light stuff has only given 1.8mm. Looks to have got it's self together east of here again. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Pretty lively gusts with rain yesterday morning, reaching 46mph on my station (a notch down from the 48mph we've reached on 2 days this month). Then it cleared by mid-late morning (can't remember exactly when) to a nice mostly sunny day. Went to Exmouth in the afternoon and half the beach is now on the road..

Saw something I hadn't seen the day before though, it was a frosty start with a -2.3c min during the night, but despite the temperature climbing to 9.2c during the day, I found in some shaded spots there was still patches of frost low down on the ground/grass at the end of the day! Never seen that after the temp reaching 9.2c before.. at a guess as the wind was light southerly these shaded spots were also sheltered from any breeze as well as the sun, so cold ground/air near the ground wasn't disturbed..?

This morning a brief line of heavy rain, followed by just light stuff has only given 1.8mm. Looks to have got it's self together east of here again. 

Yes just had a pretty good line squall pass over with driving heavy rain and hail briefly. We almost dipped back into darkness as the black roll cloud passed over.

Edited by Gibby

Posted

Very heavy hail shower here now, strong gusts after a fairly quiet morning, not a pleasant day to be out!

Posted

How is the river looking down in Newton Pop? Looked about level yesterday but reckon it will burst with this rain

It's gone down quite a lot compared to yesterday, our rivers tend to rise or fall quite quickly here (though the Clyst is slower) so we shouldn't have any problems today as we didn't have much rain before the brief heavy bit this morning (2mm here today), though they may rise a tad later. Tomorrow may be slightly more concerning especially if we get lots of heavy showers tonight before the main rain tomorrow. 

I find this site quite good for local river levels http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120722.aspx (I tend to look at the Otter at Dotton) though lots of the graphs show 'flooding is possible' much before the river actually starts to flood.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

Had some rain. A few spots now. 6.0c. Humidity 92%. Pressure 1011.4 hpa.