now you dont

Posted Image

while the jet is dropping south expect surprises

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I have been wanting to move to Canada for as long a I can rember husband having non of it Posted Image

Husbands are strange creatures. Mine hated dogs and when I married him I had to make it very clear that the dog came too. Now he adores them and says they are the best thing since sliced bread.

I'd like to find some like-minded people and buy a few hectares. They can have their house(s) at one end and we could have ours at the other... of course we'd have to sort out some basic rules like no wind turbines or solar panels - wouldn't need them anyway, with hydroelectricity cheap as chips. And no hideous white concrete modern building.

The Canadian economy's doing fine - they don't owe anyone a penny. It's 38 times the size of Britain with just 20 million people. Most of their power is hydroelectricity so it's reliable and cheap. They have a low crime rate - even in the cities. They have a national health service with the option to upgrade to a private one if the patient so chooses - here it's either all NHS or all private - one or the other. In fact it's like this country used to be before they ruined it and I'm just about old enough to remember what a good place it was - and of course you can have cheap maple syrup on your porridge every day.

I just don't understand what we're doing here and I hate the place.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 5

Posted

Morning all, to dark to say what's the weathers like, but seems very warm, be nice to see Somme colder stuff come along soon, ok last few days have been chilly, but always foggy with no sun.

Got my broadband back at last, thankfully sky managed it around 5:30 last night. Been a bad week this week, I suppose you got to expect that occasionally, don't think I helped matters by telling a client exactly what to do with his work, think it would have been extremely painful, but its only lollies :-). Engineers have been revolting, but there again when aren't they :-) at least they had the guts to ring me up and apologise when they found out what I said was in fact correct, liked that. Be nice to have a peaceful day today but doubt it. Cricket was going well at 6 this morning. T

• Like 1

Posted

Good morning Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen.

The odd weather continues and the local wildlife are totally confused by it all. Sunrise isn't due for a while yet but there have been birds singing for much of the night and most of this week. I know it's not the poor little buggers fault, but they must be sooo tired in the day having already done a night-shift.

Do you think I could slip a sleeping pill into their fat-balls and seed?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Was just looking up about last time the Thames froze over ... Will we ever see that ?

Probably not:

1814 was to prove to be last fair. A new London Bridge was built in 1823 slightly upstream from the old bridge which was eventually demolished in 1831. The structure of the new bridge was less bulky then its predecessor, which had acted as a dam. The demolition of the latter and the narrowing of the river through the creation of the embankments on either side permanently changed the flow of the river. The Thames is now too fast-flowing to freeze over, though there were plans to freeze it as part of the Millennium celebrations using modern technology. The two methods suggested both involved a system of underwater pipes to keep the surface frozen. It was suggested that chemicals could be used to lower the temperature of the river. However, objections were received from the Port of London Authority who were worried about the effect on commercial activity on the river.

http://h2g2.com/approved_entry/A970733

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Good morning everyone. I am glad someone else has noticed the birds singing Coast! I came down this morning and thought I was hearing things! Nature seems to be confused at the moment.

It's quite balmy here 8.1 at the moment and felt mild when I let the dog out first thing. Is still too dark to see what is going on out there at the moment, but does not look foggy like yesterday.

Off to do some crimble shopping today, suspect I will need a large drink by the end of the day!

• Like 1

Posted

Just flicking through tomorrows storm potential and I was expecting to see it much the same and confined to Scotland and the North, but as you will see here in the dedicated thread, some of us could be in for something quite windy now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

post-6667-0-80176300-1386919444_thumb.pn

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=map&fcTime=1387011600&map=GustSpeed&zoom=7&lon=-1.60&lat=52.09

• Like 2

Posted
I could do it, but wouldn't like to pay the energy bill, finned pipes under the water would be the way forward, but might bugger up a few propellers :-)Actually you got me thinking, can I redesign it, would need to stop the flow, then install a grid of plain plastic pipe with propylene glycol as the secondary refrigerant (would have used ammonia as a direct refrigerant but the fish have a nasty habit of floating upside down if there's a leak :-)) say a foot under the river, would have to be in a non tidal / fresh water section. Job done designed, lucky I needed to go to the loo, all my good designs are done there. Just looked out the window and its raining, how about for being weather related :-) bet you lot wished my broadband was still down :-) Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 1

Posted

Good morning everyone. I am glad someone else has noticed the birds singing Coast! I came down this morning and thought I was hearing things! Nature seems to be confused at the moment.It's quite balmy here 8.1 at the moment and felt mild when I let the dog out first thing. Is still too dark to see what is going on out there at the moment, but does not look foggy like yesterday.Off to do some crimble shopping today, suspect I will need a large drink by the end of the day!

Birds are singing away as they have for the last few days, not sure that means anything though

• Like 1

Posted

Well here's a complete contradiction of my garden habitat currently from the RSPB:

THE unseasonally mild winter is the reason why there are so few birds feeding in gardens, a wildlife charity has said. 

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) was speaking in response to a wave of calls from concerned householders.
The charity said it had received "endless calls from people" concerned about how few birds were feeding at tables and feeders this month. However they have set out to reassure birdwatchers that the reason why bird tables and feeders are not being put to good use is probably the "unusually mild weather".

Richard James, RSPB wildlife adviser, said many people "can't understand why feeders aren't being visited, despite being full of high-energy foods, which are usually in high demand by December. "The answer is almost certainly down to the unusually mild weather we're experiencing at the moment," he said. "Birds will still be able to get hold of natural food in the wider countryside so haven't had to call upon us humans for help just yet. But that could all change very quickly if the weather turns and temperatures drop."

Mr James urged householders to "continue to put out a little food and water as some birds will still be visiting garden feeders, but feed in moderation when fewer birds are present, to avoid wasting un-eaten food. "As soon as the weather gets colder, those gardens that have food out will be birds' first port of call and normal service will be resumed," he said.

Temparatures in the north are due to hit the teens today as the unseasonably mild December weather continues. The Met Office has predicted highs of 13 degrees between 9am and 9pm today - six degrees higher than the average maximum December temperature. The weather is expected to get colder and windier later in the week. By Friday afternoon, temperatures will drop to around nine degrees and on saturday, high winds are due to hit the north, with gusts of up to 27 mph. Temperatures will remain at around nine degrees but the strong winds will make it feel closer to five degrees.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/missing-birds-mystery-down-to-mild-weather-temperatures-will-soar-toda-1308984

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all.

Rather cloudy start with a few spots of rain. It's forecast to get worse. Thank goodness for working indoors Posted Image

Posted

Morning all,

What a difference 24 hours makes - it's now unseasonably mild, with cloud and rain.

'Urghh' just about sums up the weather today and for the next week by the sounds of things!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Very dull and urghhhh here in Ippy. Talking of birds singing...ive been hearing the robin singing at night here. Sounds lovely and cheery.

Have a brilliant day, all. :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Birds are singing away as they have for the last few days, not sure that means anything though

It means they think it's early spring and they're staking claim to their territory ready for nests. It won't matter much as most birds can lay eggs through the year if they feel like it, so it doesn't mean there'll be no broods next spring. The owls start hooting just after Christmas, as they're predators and need more space.

Not sure what people are on about regarding bird tables.... I've just done the second refill of the last 10 days and they're coming and going. But I've run out of peanuts, so will have to get some more if I want to see greater spotted woodpeckers again like last year.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

It's now drizzling with rain in Ippy. Heating on, lamps on........darkest time of the year now. :( Thank goodness we'll soon be going the other way.

Going to have a nice, peaceful week-end as my charge (the Nipper) is going to Peppa Pig land with her father and Nipper's mum away as well. YAY!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The weather might be dull outside but looking on the bright side it's Friday :-)

I'm feeling as happy as a Quokka today ....

post-10773-0-94498700-1386931820_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted

The weather might be dull outside but looking on the bright side it's Friday :-)

I'm feeling as happy as a Quokka today ....

Posted Imageimage.jpg

morninggg ,,

i second that it might be dull outside,but its poetsssssssssss dayyyy,the best day of the week.have a goood poetsss day 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning all,

Well i got my MRI results back and they now want me to see a spinal surgeon (not impressed at all).....

On to the weather and can anyone (Robin) tell me how the weekend is looking in Essex (mainly Sunday in Leigh on sea) as my bootsale is on but it looks like it could be tricky if im reading things correctly....

ta

L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

Raining surprisingly heavily here (although not properly heavy...) I thought the heavier stuff would be at rush hour time later.

Tbh we could do with it here. We've had very little for the last month and the roads are really filthy now.

Posted

Morning all,

Well i got my MRI results back and they now want me to see a spinal surgeon (not impressed at all).....

oh dear.seems like everyone is ill, or has something wrong or some lurgy at the moment and the depressing weather isn't helping.I think it must have been very foggy here this morning, i heard the fog alarms very early, i think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all,

On to the weather and can anyone (Robin) tell me how the weekend is looking in Essex (mainly Sunday in Leigh on sea) as my bootsale is on but it looks like it could be tricky if im reading things correctly....

ta

L

Not nice. :(

Hope it goes as well for you as it can.

Posted

Morning all,

Morning Lloyd.

You've got to go with the professionals opinion on health I'm afraid! 

Now, from a complete non-professional at anything, here is what the charts think is in store for Sunday for the boot sale (at this time of year??)

Rain first thing

Posted Image

with maybe a short period without any late morning:

Posted Image

back again in the afternoon:

Posted Image

If you don't like that GFS overview, take the Met O one as they have no rain until early evening onwards Posted Image

post-6667-0-89080400-1386936334_thumb.pn

I guess you'll be out and about early for a boot sale, don't forget if your taking a gazebo or other form of wet weather protection, the winds will be cranking up through the day (as Saturday) and you could see gusts of 25 to 35 mph as the day wears on.

I hope you make a bob or two Posted Image