Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

a quality post by old met man, post2084 it's music to my ears. Totaly agree 100percent. Those scientifick voices who r bangging their drums regarding manmade climate change e.g part of uk met, r the puppets of the world governements. Going back to the models it's grim different day but same old super duperty outputs. Though 06-07 and 07-08 was crap at least we had snow cover for a day or 3.

Posted

The persistence of the Vortex this year really has been quite something, even now as the season draws to a close it's still determined not to give the UK any sort of sniff at cold, hopefully this turns out to be just a one off  and not  something which marks the beginning of another 90s/early 2000s type period.

Edited by SnowObsessor90
  • Like 1

Posted

It would difinately seem that there is no light at the end of the tunnel for this winter. Remeber that the earth has a natural way of balancing itself out and we are probably paying for the snow we were spoilt with over the last few years.

This year was Japan and North Americas turn, Next year or the year after will be ours hopefully ....  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26222457

• Like 6

Posted

it is just too painful to watch the models runs update just for any glimmer of hope that good synoptics show up, i wish this "winter" will just hurry up and die now and put me out of my misery, unless i throw my phone and laptop out of the window then i won't have to put up with this torture anymore, im not an optimist at all really but for some reason i keep checking the models and have faint hope we will see some good runs, or am i being deluded and should give it up? seems like everyone else has

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

it is just too painful to watch the models runs update just for any glimmer of hope that good synoptics show up, i wish this "winter" will just hurry up and die now and put me out of my misery, unless i throw my phone and laptop out of the window then i won't have to put up with this torture anymore, im not an optimist at all really but for some reason i keep checking the models and have faint hope we will see some good runs, or am i being deluded and should give it up? seems like everyone else has

Give up Tony. I look every day for a snowfest to hit swampy land, but time is passing and watching the models is like a incessant torment drip of water on the head. Day in , day out, always a water fest on offering, no snow flakes, not even a frost.Your miserable and horrible winter has been well documented over here and confirmed by family who reside in the Sussex bog fields.

Glad I moved some years ago, we have 200cm of snow in the back garden, wish I could send some your way !

C

• Like 4

Posted

a quality post by old met man, post2084 it's music to my ears. Totaly agree 100percent. Those scientifick voices who r bangging their drums regarding manmade climate change e.g part of uk met, r the puppets of the world governements. Going back to the models it's grim different day but same old onionsty outputs. Though 06-07 and 07-08 was crap at least we had snow cover for a day or 3.

now come on AV, that is totally untrue, the most sensible comment over the past week regarding manmade climate change or just climate change from Julia Sligo in UK Met who, apologies if I misquote, said something along the lines when asked if climate change was responsible for the flooding said

it is possible we simply do not know.

will go and see if I can find her actual quote.

But to me as ex met to suggest that staff in Exeter be it operational forecasters ior research fellows in the same organisation are what you say is totally preposterous and an unfair comment on the professional and onjective work into attempting to unravle why is the earth warming. Of that there is not doubt, in spite of the current slowing or even dipping in worl temperatures.

the link, not yet read it

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news?megamenu_button=news&megamenu=1

this is part of the link

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted

yep time to give up probably even for march as well, but no doubt we will get a grey cloudy chilly easterly in mid/late march, or a northely toppler which will just be a pain in the backside, it looks like a typical nw/se on the ecm tonight whilst people may be glad that may happen as it will be dry and mild in the south those synoptics bore the hell out of me esp for late feb, if it was mid/late march then i would like them, but im not ready for milder weather yet considering it hasn't even been cold this winter, i wouldn't have minded if the rain continued till mid march as i want to see extreme weather, though i do feel for the flooded areas, but it looks like we are going back to bog standard uk synoptics zzzzzzzzz, nothing worse than cloudy mild and dry in winter

Edited by Tony27

Posted

Give up Tony. I look every day for a snowfest to hit swampy land, but time is passing and watching the models is like a incessant torment drip of water on the head. Day in , day out, always a water fest on offering, no snow flakes, not even a frost.Your miserable and horrible winter has been well documented over here and confirmed by family who reside in the Sussex bog fields.

Glad I moved some years ago, we have 200cm of snow in the back garden, wish I could send some your way !

C

Blimey even in my wildest dreams i never dream't of having 200cm of snow in my back garden, 20cm would be extreme for my backyard

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted

Well one word for this pathetic excuse of a winter. Sh#te. I havent seen one flake of snow here yet, the local rivers have been in constant flood for weeks.the wind hasn't stopped howling. Ive just a bout gave up on a cold spell. Bring on a nice warm summer surely it has to dry out some time. Please I just cant take anymore.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Blimey even in my wildest dreams i never dream't of having 200cm of snow in my back garden, 20cm would be extreme for my backyard

yeah, 1641m asl away from this Atlantic island, makes a difference

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Most of Europe is experiencing a very mild winter - it isn't just the UK.There is no snow in southern Sweden or Finland right now.

Posted

Most of Europe is experiencing a very mild winter - it isn't just the UK.There is no snow in southern Sweden or Finland right now.

Goos! serves them right for hogging it every other year! *annoyed face* :-/

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

@carinthian lucky u to c 200cm of snow in your back garden. I and most of us here would be glad to c 2cm of snow falling and lieing in our gardens. Also jh when i said about uk met i didnt say all of them. Coming back to the models it looks like there's no end in sight for the current patern. The extended autumn gos on along with the atlantick express. The settel weather that was hinted at by the nwp has now almost vanished from the outputs. Lets c what the 00h outputs shows us.

Posted

I hope the posters who have been calling pattern change for most of the winter have finally accepted that the status quo will remain for the rest of February.It has been a pretty amazing winter , certainly not boring from a weather perspective .

Have to agree that the mild pattern doesn't look like breaking in time for this winter. Well done those who called mild in mid-January!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

December 2010 was no different when we were locked in a cold pattern and the Met office were calling for continuation of cold in to January yet by Boxing day mild swept in and winter was over here.

My point is most users come on netweather and other forums looking for cold and more so snow during winter months and that is why this forum is busier November to March each year. I for one look for Nick Sussex and Steve Murrs posts as I know if they are posting there is at least a chance of something far more interesting than this current dross.

I am intelligent enough to look at other posters like Tamara, Ian F and John Holmes to get a balanced idea of what is going on and not forgetting Frosty who has kept this thread more light-hearted in what has been a dreary but by no means boring Winter. 

Regards Jamie

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

All i can say looks like Gibby is correct about the unsettled conditions continuing and flooding a continuous problem for a few weeks yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

I hope the posters who have been calling pattern change for most of the winter have finally accepted that the status quo will remain for the rest of February.It has been a pretty amazing winter , certainly not boring from a weather perspective .

And we all know, it wont be the persistence of this single weather pattern that Winter 2013/14 will be remembered for either !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Have to agree that the mild pattern doesn't look like breaking in time for this winter. Well done those who called mild in mid-January!

Oh please!! It takes no skill what so ever to call mild in winter for this country, it is the norm after all, especially this winter with the pv planted where it is has been.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Oh please!! It takes no skill what so ever to call mild in winter for this country, it is the norm after all, especially this winter with the pv planted where it is has been.

hmmm seems to me that anyone who calls mild just cant win on this forum. They are either accused of trolling or even if their thought in calling mild is the correct one they are thought of as needing little forcasting skill anyway.
  • Like 4

If there's no skill whatsoever in predicting x when the charts are showing x then everyone can do it, including the 'coldies'.

• Like 1

Posted

well cant u tell theres not much in the offering as this thread is as thread bare as when i left it this morning.

sorry mods remove if you want but im hardly clogging up this thread today ;)