Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

That North-Western Polar Vortex is like the 'Robotnik' of our Winter's for the UK snow and cold lovers. Need Sonic and his sidekick, Tails, to take down 'Robotnik' (aka the Polar Vortex), or at least try and boot him further North/North-West, so heights can build to our East or South-East with drier weather developing for places. If not, then Sonic and the crew could just push 'Robotnik' further North-East to make way for High Pressure to build to or West instead. Personally would not like to see that bad guy darken our Winter next year (if it's snow and cold you're after). Nevertheless, if you've enjoyed all the mighty storms and rain this Winter has brought so far, then I guess that Greeland/Canadian Polar Vortex could be seen as the 'Batman and Robin' of the Winter for you guys and ladies.

It is certainly possible we could undergo a pattern change around mid-month, or beyond. Some of the models, such as the GFS, have shown some signs of High Pressure eventually building further North with the Polar Vortex loosing some of it's power. But... if it did turn out to be true that parts of USA could experience another month or so of chilly weather, I suppose it would mean the continuation of 'Robotnik' staying strong to our North-West firing a missile of Low Pressure systems towards the UK.

• Like 1

Posted

sirs, you are deluded!Posted Image

these people are weather forecasters and forecast without bias. and the vast majority of the popuation DO NOT LIKE IT COLD! forecasters included. and referring to gibbs/hammon as having a mild bias is actually quite insulting.

its only on these forums that cold lovers come out to play, so when they say 'at least itll be mild' they are giving out the news most want to hear.

as for a cold spell now.... lakes of ice? is that good news for those under flood? whats needed is dry weather, mild or cold but not freezing.

Dear Sir, UTTER TRIPE.Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

heard from NW thread that a weather presenter called Eno Equator loves mild, and is biased, prefer weather presenters in the summer, they will want warm sunny weather like the majority on here

what use is mild from Nov to late Feb? will unlikely be sunny and probably windy

mushymanrob, agree with that actually, feel I am in the minority wanting frost, ice and snow, infact I am in the minority

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

I've been reading my tea leafs and I can see signs of some cold weather for us starting in about a weeks time.

Nothing major but something more wintry than we've seen so far, which isn't much tbf. Posted Image

Posted

another dry sunny day here, the models can be quite deceptive at times, those blue colours on the 500mb charts does not mean we will have constant wet weather, a bit like the red colours does not mean it will be dry hot and sunny all the time

Posted

Awful ECM no end in sight, just more bright and breezy days mixed in with 2 or 3 bands of rain per week, when do we admit defeat? we might get one snow day in late feb or march but will that make up for a crap winter? of course not

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yup we can write Feb off as well these patterns stay set for several weeks as December showed. One forgetful Winter unless you're a fish.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

these people are weather forecasters and forecast without bias. and the vast majority of the popuation DO NOT LIKE IT COLD! forecasters included. and referring to gibbs/hammon as having a mild bias is actually quite insulting.

its only on these forums that cold lovers come out to play, so when they say 'at least itll be mild' they are giving out the news most want to hear.

as for a cold spell now.... lakes of ice? is that good news for those under flood? whats needed is dry weather, mild or cold but not freezing.

Mushy, think you are kind of right about forecasters as they are professionals and say how it is, however when they say 'at least it will be mild' they refer to wet grey and windy weather which 99.9 % of the population hate, so put a spin on it. Maybe majority want settled sunny and mild in winter? But show a picture of a frosty morning with clear skies and a faint plume of smoke from a woodburning stove floating effortlessly, or a grey rainy day with dustbin lids flying through the sky, think most would go for the former? Ps in winter to dry things up, cold is best to get the wet bulb and dew points down to suck the moisture out, mild is no good really as the sun has little power Edited by Nicholas B
  • Like 2

Posted

I have written Feb off, 104m asl not good enough. looks like a snowfest month for 300m+

hopefully snow in march or april for low levels

Posted

Yup we can write Feb off as well these patterns stay set for several weeks as December showed. One forgetful Winter unless you're a fish.

I'm not sure about that, I think a lot of fish have been washed away downstream never to be seen again!

Posted

I have written Feb off, 104m asl not good enough. looks like a snowfest month for 300m+

hopefully snow in march or april for low levels

stop saying this pleasePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image proper long lasting snow at low levels esp in the south in mar and april is rare, unless we get feb 1947 synoptics in march and april, or we get a repeat of last years march, but how likely is that? i got nothing last march anyway so spare a thought for me and others who didn't get anything last march, but i suppose even one snow event in march or april before it all melts a few hours later is better than nothing, though it will probably take the p i s s tbh

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 2

Posted

stop saying this pleasePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image proper long lasting snow at low levels esp in the south in mar and april is rare, unless we get feb 1947 synoptics in march and april, or we get a repeat of last years march, but how likely is that? i got nothing last march anyway so spare a thought for me and others who didn't get anything last march, but i suppose even one snow event in march or april before it all melts a few hours later is better than nothing, though it will probably take the p i s s tbh

As I say let's hope for snow in March or April, even when it melts before midday, it can look very effective at 8am, and better than nothing

U may get snow this march anyway, still find it hard to believe last march was snowless? U must have got something on 11th-12th

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted

As I say let's hope for snow in March or April, even when it melts before midday, it can look very effective at 8am, and better than nothing

U may get snow this march anyway, still find it hard to believe last march was snowless? U must have got something on 11th-12th

Last march down here was very cold with a raw easterly AND very little snow.

• Like 2

Posted

Last march down here was very cold with a raw easterly AND very little snow.

but still more wintry than the average Dec to Jan, and certainly more wintry than Jan '14, so as cold fans, we al should be hoping March '14 is the most wintry month of the '13-14 season, otherwise we will have no winter at all

Posted

but still more wintry than the average Dec to Jan, and certainly more wintry than Jan '14, so as cold fans, we al should be hoping March '14 is the most wintry month of the '13-14 season, otherwise we will have no winter at all

Agreed but last march was a 1 in a hundred year event so what are the chances of two in a row?Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Agreed but last march was a 1 in a hundred year event so what are the chances of two in a row?Posted Image

No where though have I said I am expecting a mar '13, was a one off 15cms, but snow in March isn't, just hoping to see some lying snow, my first snow lying since April '13

Posted

Weather doesn't follow statistical patterns though. August 2003 and July 2006 were pretty exceptional months and quite close to each other in the grand scheme of things. I think it's possible to get two very cold and snowy March's on the trot. Long long way off of course.

Too far away to even think about really.

I was driving down the M1 this evening through some roadworks. Kept looking ahead, thinking I could see the end of the 50mph zone...but no, it just went on for miles and miles with no clues as to when it might end, getting more and more bored as I try to keep my right foot steady and keep the car at 50.

I thought it was a good metaphor for this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Beware The Ides Of March .......Just might happen with cold and other stuff......

Posted

I'd be happy with just a decent single snowfall frankly, this has been a dreadful winter. Roll on summer, ah hold on, probably best off being careful for what I wish for!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The fact that it is mild is hardly of any comfort to those who find their houses waterlogged. I would consider that slightly insulting - the temperature is wholly irrelevant. If I lived in Somerset, I would be praying for an elongated spell of dry weather, and I wouldn't care if it was cold or mild.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

and so this abysmal winter continues.  I usually love the winter months but this one has been one i would rather forget.  3 frosts so far and even that is not a typical UK winter.  I for one will be glad to see this one over and done with and for some decent warm sunny weather of the summer.  Oh wait... this is the UK.

Posted

My concern is that we'll eventually get some cold weather ........ in Spring, which is the time of year when people want things to warm up. For those who want snow, it's pretty useless in Spring as it soon melts and it's highly unlikely that there would be any ice days.

• Like 1

Posted

lol, heard that so many times with regard to so much weather for it to only happen again. I'm not 200 years old :)

• Like 2