Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not really bothered about snow tbh. I like frosts and cold. But no....it wasn't mild...it was a bit nippy really. Different parts of the country have different temperatures and people have differing perspectives on what feels cold and what feels warm...so really saying that it was not cold where I live is a little flippant. Silly argument trying to defend your 'mildism' Posted Image

I don't think you need to be a "mildie" to point out how mild our winter has been

Posted Image

Where you live was 1.5-2 degrees warmer than average. That would be classified as mild.

As for the models, well the colder spell looks like being just one day now. ECM and GFS later on are trying to get high pressure to build back in across the south, whether it will or not is a big question. The one fact is the relentless energy sitting over Greenland and Canada which we just cannot shift and seems to scupper any real colder weather by flattening the pattern.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I don't think you need to be a "mildie" to point out how mild our winter has been

Posted Image

Where you live was 1.5-2 degrees warmer than average. That would be classified as mild.

As for the models, well the colder spell looks like being just one day now. ECM and GFS later on are trying to get high pressure to build back in across the south, whether it will or not is a big question. The one fact is the relentless energy sitting over Greenland and Canada which we just cannot shift and seems to scupper any real colder weather by flattening the pattern.

I shall say again as people are obviously missing my point.......May have been classed as mild....didn't feel mild Posted Image

Edited by simshady
  • Like 2

Posted

I shall say again as people are obviously missing my point.......May have been classed as mild....didn't feel mild Posted Image

And my understanding is that the above average temps were mostly due to a lack of cold and frosty nights, not especially milder than usual days. Day time temps here seemed very average. Edited by picog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

No. Read what I said....it was cold a lot of the time...didn't see many people walking about in t-shirts. Just because it came out above average temperature wise doesn't mean it wasn't cold. The windy weather and rain we had made it feel even colder. Are you saying it was mild? How many days did you sit out in the garden with a cup of tea? Mow the lawn? Trip to the beach perhaps?

Read it again and my eyes were not deceiving me you did indeed say:

"it certainly hasn't been mild"

- with regards the past Winter.

Quote from the Met Office:

"The UK average mean temperature for the winter so far is 5.2 °C making it the 5th warmest winter since the national series records began in 1910."

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2014/early-winter-stats

• Like 4

Posted

Read it again and my eyes were not deceiving me you did indeed say:

"it certainly hasn't been mild"

- with regards the past Winter.

Quote from the Met Office:

"The UK average mean temperature for the winter so far is 5.2 °C making it the 5th warmest winter since the national series records began in 1910."

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2014/early-winter-stats

You know it's been a very mild Winter when I can officially say I have had more frosts in Spring than Winter, and it's only 12 days old ! (Meteorological season)

Some charts might be throwing up some cold shots now Winter is over, but we have seen pretty much none of them come to fruition over the period, and I don't think it will change now.

Thankfully, I think we are entering a long period of dry, warm & settled High Pressure.

Edited by R.P. McMurphy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Gales, snow

lots of boring weather to come during the next few weeks it seems

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny

lots of boring weather to come during the next few weeks it seems

Having spent the majority of the last 3 months underwater, "boring" weather as you put it is just fine with me thanks!! 

• Like 2

Posted

most of the sensible people gave up on winter weeks ago. quite fun to watch the rest searching desperately for some spring wintry showers on the mod thread.

Odd post. Quite patronising, too.I must not be sensible, I'm open to the possibility of some wintry weather at this time of year, which was emphatically proven possible just last year.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Seems that as soon as spring arrives it's blasphemy to talk about anything else than warmth on this forum.

• Like 1

Posted

Odd post. Quite patronising, too.I must not be sensible, I'm open to the possibility of some wintry weather at this time of year, which was emphatically proven possible just last year.

patronising ? are you serious ?  i thought this thread was created to remove the over sensitivity of the MOD.

• Like 1

Posted

patronising ? are you serious ?  i thought this thread was created to remove the over sensitivity of the MOD.

I think so, yes. I've seen (read) nothing but informed posts, using the model outputs, to explain the possibility of colder weather occurring. How that equates to people not being "sensible" is beyond me.I'm all for Banter, but downplaying the valid opinions of others doesn't fit into that category.Anyway, the weather will do what it will, so a potent April northerly may come as a shock when all the sensible people fail to spot it in advance.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I've thoroughly enjoyed the last week of warm early spring weather. Looking like it is coming to an end for a while. Let's hope the warmth returns quicker than it did in Spring 2013, when an initially mild March switched to the coldest March for 60 years.

Anything is possible now. Big swings either way between mild and cool, wet and dry.

2011 dry switched dramatically to wet in April 2012. The wet ended in June 2013 to dry. Then wet changed to dry in March 2014.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers & Mild Winters

Seems that as soon as spring arrives it's blasphemy to talk about anything else than warmth on this forum.

Much the same as talking about anything other than cold & snow from October onwards then...
  • Like 7

Posted

Much the same as talking about anything other than cold & snow from October onwards then...

Well everybody is guilty of the same thing then....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

most of the sensible people gave up on winter weeks ago. quite fun to watch the rest searching desperately for some spring wintry showers on the mod thread.

I'll take that as a compliment BA. Posted Image

Agree btw Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's a matter of interpretation (always a problem with online communication).  Perhaps partly because of who wrote it, I didn't read it as an attack on those who enjoy/hope for snow in spring- I sort of read it as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the way that many of us got fed up with chasing invisible snow events during the winter months and so just decided to give in, well before the end of February.

• Like 3

Posted

Apparently there is "major ramping" going on in regards to the upcoming cool/cold spell. Can someone hand me a magnifying glass and fine tooth comb, please?

And to think of all those "OMG, March 2012 repeat!" posts a few weeks ago...

• Like 3

Posted

Apparently there is "major ramping" going on in regards to the upcoming cool/cold spell. Can someone hand me a magnifying glass and fine tooth comb, please?And to think of all those "OMG, March 2012 repeat!" posts a few weeks ago...

You've got Frosty on ignore then?!

• Like 2

Posted

Frosty ramps the cold weather as he does the warm weather and he posts all year round. He has real enthusiasm which show in his posts.  Swings and roundabouts. I enjoy his posts when cold/cool weather is lurking and hate his posts when it's warm/hot. I still appreciate his thoughts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Apparently there is "major ramping" going on in regards to the upcoming cool/cold spell. Can someone hand me a magnifying glass and fine tooth comb, please?And to think of all those "OMG, March 2012 repeat!" posts a few weeks ago...

Well as Steve said last night, the charts look mediocre at best in terms of cold and snow, but going by some of the responses he got I'd say some must be viewing the current outputs through rose tinted glasses.
  • Like 1

Posted

Well as Steve said last night, the charts look mediocre at best in terms of cold and snow, but going by some of the responses he got I'd say some must be viewing the current outputs through rose tinted glasses.

Maybe, but all I've seen is people mentioning possible snow for the north/hills and potentially some for lower ground, hardly excessive ramping in my book.And saying things like "coldest spell potential since March 2013" is actually accurate, as there has been nothing remotely wintry for most of the UK since then.I don't think anyone has ramped this upcoming spell much more than for what it actually is - a likely brief cold snap with a few wintry showers.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm very much looking forward to having daytime maximums and nighttime minimums not as low as the three previous months. :)

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

This thread is not for publicly stating members that you may or may not be adding to the ignore list, so those doing that sort of thing need to stop.

• Like 4