Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

i love looking for signs of high pressure on the models but look less closely for the breakdown in FI.

The south of England looks set fair for a week. Like has been said many Marchs on recent years have enjoyed some fine weather.. 2003,2009,2010,2011,2012

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers, cold winters

GFS 12z still has high pressure in charge till as far out as the 15th. Looking like the HP is going to stay around. Think the weekend could be more cloudy than people think. They'll also be a cold front pushing in from the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

A bit of warm weather for a couple of days and it's like the second coming and winning the world cup all rolled into one, lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Erm.... I think I would put up with another month of torrential rain if it meant we could win the World Cup. That's not going to happen, though. Is it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A cloudy high - I can think of few things more tedious and depressing. The temperature isn't relevant to me - I was just looking forward to an extended period of sunny weather with high diurnal ranges. It'll be a little disappointing if next week is cloudy with temperatures hovering around 9C - that's basically what we endured in February, but with more rain.

Still, I don't have faith in the Met Office's computer-generated forecasts, so I'm not going to lose faith just yet.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Model Ramping time for me, looking pretty glorious here on the south coast throughout next week. Just Monday looking especially cloudy!

Posted

A cloudy high - I can think of few things more tedious and depressing. The temperature isn't relevant to me - I was just looking forward to an extended period of sunny weather with high diurnal ranges. It'll be a little disappointing if next week is cloudy with temperatures hovering around 9C - that's basically what we endured in February, but with more rain. Still, I don't have faith in the Met Office's computer-generated forecasts, so I'm not going to lose faith just yet.

Agreed. Goes to show that high pressure and settled weather isn't always a good thing, in fact it can be downright miserable when there is nothing to blow the cloud away, should it be a feature.

Posted

Cloudy high? No pleasing some lol...can only imagine a totally clear blue sky.Don't tell me, ruddy contrails...

A cloudy high will certainly not please me - and rest assured, by cloudy, I mean fully overcast, not the occasional contrail blowing in the atmosphere, or the odd puffy cumulus floating by. Completely clear blue skies are very unusual, so I don't expect that.

Edited by cheese

Posted

I think you will see most areas of the country seeing some sunshine at times next week, but not wall to wall sunshine.

This weekend is looking pleasant enough with a 15C high for the Midlands on Sunday. If you can find a sunny sheltered spot it will feel warmer than at anytime since last October.

Posted

Just wondering (hoping) if this cold snap is going to get pushed back in April and is a 2-3 day affair?

Loved being out in the sunshine today. My almost 3 year old daughter can't believe the wonder of Spring springing up around her. Nice to see!

• Like 2

Posted

I think you will see most areas of the country seeing some sunshine at times next week, but not wall to wall sunshine.This weekend is looking pleasant enough with a 15C high for the Midlands on Sunday. If you can find a sunny sheltered spot it will feel warmer than at anytime since last October.

my heart bleeds for the mildies who have had to wait since last october to see a warm sunny day, i've not seen a flake of snow for 14 months

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 3

Posted

my heart bleeds for the mildies who have had to wait since last october to see a warm sunny day, i've not seen a flake of snow for 14 months

When you put it that way I see your point! Maybe we will get that Arctic plunge? I got snowed in in Invernessshire in early April 2012 which was exciting. Was trying to get to a wedding. Sadly no Scottish spring weddings for me this year, but if I didn't have 2 under 3s I would be seriously tempted to drive to the snowfields up there. Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted

Im a bit like Frosty in that i love cold winter and hot summer charts. I'm a fan of warm anticyclonic weather in Spring, Summer and Autumn and cold and or snowy conditions like Feb 2009/Jan 2010, Dec 2010, Feb 2012, Jan 2013. Anything else wet and windy I like to avoid!

Which means these present conditions that get the warmies like Summer Sun, Scorcher, CongletonHeat fired up is all good.

But then if charts like March 23 2013 started appearing in the reliable I would expect people like Steve Murr and Nick Sussex to be making a last curtain call on the model thread and that would be pretty exciting too. ..providing it wasn't cold still in May..

Posted

Wow a lovely day for the 1st time in god knows how many days!!

I am going to forget this "winter" existed and hopefully enjoy a lovely warm and fair spring, followed by a summer with fine days and a few severe storms, and then make up for the lack of winter 2013/14 with a big freeze 2014/15.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm happy enough with either scattered cloud cover or a clear blue sky under high pressure- in particular days with patchy high cloud can result in stunning sunsets.  The problem for me is those anticyclonic days with an extensive layer of stratus or stratocumulus and very little going on- also frustrating are those days when after a bright start, convective cloud sprouts up, hits a cap and produces stratocumulus, which then fizzles out shortly before sunset.

I think this anticyclonic spell only looks likely to be cloudy in the far south of the country (where a cold front could well grind to a halt) and in north-west Scotland.  Met Office sattelite imagery don't point to much cloud cover to the north and west of the front, which is where a large majority of the country will lie by tomorrow evening.  It may become cloudier by next weekend though as the high retreats a little to the SW.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Well, I hate dribbly rain which we've had since early afternoon.

Thankfully, it's to be better tomorrow and dry all week, even up to next week end.

Goodbye winter 2013/14. It's been a real pain. Hopefully, a nice long settled summer and something better next year, here's hoping.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

whilst i really loved the weather yesterday and finally enjoyed some warm sunshine, i have to say the past winter has been dreadful in its lack of cold and snow.  Even one day would have been nice.  Those who love the warm and/or hot weather at least have comfort in knowing that whatever kind of summer we have, at least we will have a few days of hot sunny weather.  It's just a pity the same can't be said for our temperamental and wholly unreliable winter seasons.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm thinking this will be one of those "sunny" highs for most of us, thanks to a favourably placed high and minimal input from tropical maritime air, with dry sunny weather likely almost everywhere until Thursday (north-west Scotland, and possibly the far south of England, being exceptions) but Friday will see cooler cloudier conditions spread from the north-west, which will affect the whole country during the weekend, so my advice is to make the most of the sunshine this week if you can.  The warmest day is likely to be Thursday in the north and Friday in the south.

I am still suspecting a possible wintry blast from the Arctic around 20 March but am unsure whether it will bring snowfalls or just frosts- it all depends on whether the main northerly blast ends up over Britain or out into the North Sea.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I'm thinking this will be one of those "sunny" highs for most of us, thanks to a favourably placed high and minimal input from tropical maritime air, with dry sunny weather likely almost everywhere until Thursday (north-west Scotland, and possibly the far south of England, being exceptions) but Friday will see cooler cloudier conditions spread from the north-west, which will affect the whole country during the weekend, so my advice is to make the most of the sunshine this week if you can.  The warmest day is likely to be Thursday in the north and Friday in the south.

I am still suspecting a possible wintry blast from the Arctic around 20 March but am unsure whether it will bring snowfalls or just frosts- it all depends on whether the main northerly blast ends up over Britain or out into the North Sea.

We were supposed to be cloudy yesterday, but we ended up sunny throughout - the Met Office quickly changed their forecast to sunny from cloudy in the morning, after the cloud cleared.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme snow rain wind

We had the sun last few days but not very warm with the wind coming in from the East.......9o............