the ignore feature is crap! the main one on my ignore list is, mr_crazy_snowfan

Who don't  you have on ignore nowadays?

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Who don't  you have on ignore nowadays?

0nly 9 members on ignore, could be 10 as Purga is a bit of a pain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

you don't need it to be above 25c, i don't see milides complaining on a warm sunny april day saying i wish it was 25c or above if it is 18c, yes i agree 25c and above is not common in the UK but you don't really need it to be 30c do you

1c- 3c don't quite cut it for me if it's snowing, it needs to be 0c or below, i can count the amount of ice days and snow days i get on one hand in a year, i would need about 5 hands to count the warm sunny days i get, snow days are probably rarer here than 25c+ days are in scotland, but i don't see the scots complaining if its only 20c and sunny in summer cos that is warm enough despite not being hot

june 2012 was bad but did you not get one single pleasent day in june? i wish we had just one snow day this winter or even a day when it was 2c or 3c, this winter has been wet and windy but we have still seen dry sunny days like today, rain is not constant despite people thinking it is

you are lucky we see some average/mild sunny days in winter which you are glad to see, we don't get frosts or snow in summer, even in autumn that is rare

...but 'mildies' are people who prefer mild to cold.... not mild to hot!. i use the two extremes, liking cold is extreme, liking heat is extreme, .

the mild this winter has been largely nulled.... the wind and rain has taken the edge off nearly every mild day. this winter wont be remembered for being mild.

i don't have anyone on ignore it's just a weather forum

me neither.... its stupid and counter productive. whats the point in joining a public forum only to read selected posters?

Posted

This has got to be the most depressing winter ever for the South of England & Wales! Mild, relentless wind, rain & floods. The absolute lack of any of the usual excitement looking at charts in anticipation of a wintry spell with cold, ice & snow. Like many, I'm totally fed-up with this and my heart goes out to those unfortunate folk that are flooded out of their homes or businesses. Please, go away winter 2013/14

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

...but 'mildies' are people who prefer mild to cold.... not mild to hot!. i use the two extremes, liking cold is extreme, liking heat is extreme, .

the mild this winter has been largely nulled.... the wind and rain has taken the edge off nearly every mild day. this winter wont be remembered for being mild.

me neither.... its stupid and counter productive. whats the point in joining a public forum only to read selected posters?

it don't literally rain constantly though does it, today is yet another sunny day albeit it is very windy, despite synoptics looking ghastly 

its pretty obvious mildies have it better than colides, this is the uk not northern canada, its like comparing the average joe to a homeless person

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

I think we are a bit of a strange bunch, really. The UK weather is a subject of national interest and most people have a something to say about the weather almost every day, but the vast majority of the posters on this site are, not to beat about the bush, obsessed with the weather and what it can deliver. Doesn't matter if we prefer cold, mild, hot, dry, wet, windy or any combination, we all like to see dramatic weather and extremes of our preferred kind. Many spend an amazing amount of time poring over the charts (especially me!) trying to forecast the next spell of dramatic weather and look forward with baited breath to see the result of a heavy snowstorm (even better if accompanied by drifting), or a violent thunderstorm, or extreme heat waves - anything that could break records in fact. But when those events finally develop for real bringing hardship for many, costing the country millions, putting lives of people and animals at risk, I'll bet there isn't one person who posts on this site who does not wish the effects could be less severe, the damage avoided and the loss of life prevented. So while we all love to see dramatic weather we have to weigh the excitement of seeing it and experiencing it against the awful effects it can have which nobody can possibly derive any pleasure from. It's a paradox. Also, I quite possibly don't know what the **** I am talking about and maybe should have left the pub earlier......

• Like 1

Posted

This has got to be the most depressing winter ever for the South of England & Wales! Mild, relentless wind, rain & floods. The absolute lack of any of the usual excitement looking at charts in anticipation of a wintry spell with cold, ice & snow. Like many, I'm totally fed-up with this and my heart goes out to those unfortunate folk that are flooded out of their homes or businesses. Please, go away winter 2013/14

I've quite enjoyed this winter Nurse !!!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

it don't literally rain constantly though does it, today is yet another sunny day albeit it is very windy, despite synoptics looking ghastly 

its pretty obvious mildies have it better than colides, this is the uk not northern canada, its like comparing the average joe to a homeless person

yes those who dislike the cold have had it better this winter, but its been a frustrating time, because so many days were spoilt by wind and rain, mild weather lovers havnt had the overwhelming 'victory' that the temp stats suggest.

anyway, there are changes on the horizon, and out of several possible solutions one strong contender is for an anticyclonic domination by the last week in feb. the coldest, frostiest, spell of winter might yet be in early spring! :angry:

Posted

According to the top scientist at the  MET OFFICE this very stormy winter is a result of................................yep CLIMATE CHANGE.

And the UK should expect similar in the future.

IMO its a stupid statement from them, don't you think its a little too early to tell?

• Like 4

Posted

According to the top scientist at the  MET OFFICE this very stormy winter is a result of................................yep CLIMATE CHANGE.

And the UK should expect similar in the future.

IMO its a stupid statement from them, don't you think its a little too early to tell?

It would be stupid if that is what the Met Office said, but what Dame Slingo actually said was "...all the evidence suggests there is a link to climate change." (my italics).  Rather different. So if you are going to criticize, get your facts straight first.

• Like 1

Posted

I find it very odd that weather enthusiasts could be bored this winter. This winter has been far from boring; how could living through the wettest winter period for 250 years be described as boring.

• Like 5

Posted

yes those who dislike the cold have had it better this winter, but its been a frustrating time, because so many days were spoilt by wind and rain, mild weather lovers havnt had the overwhelming 'victory' that the temp stats suggest.

anyway, there are changes on the horizon, and out of several possible solutions one strong contender is for an anticyclonic domination by the last week in feb. the coldest, frostiest, spell of winter might yet be in early spring! Posted Image

Good, i hope we get a wintry spell in March many a time we have seen Summer like weather in September, in fact September is still practically summer down here anyway, only difference is it gets dark at about 8pm instead of 10pm, and i have used my BBQ in September more times than i have used my sledge in March

as for the hints of Blocking in deep FI like shown on today's 12z it's way too far out to take seriously for me so i won't be getting sucked in like some other people unless it is shown at T168 or less

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

inaccurate thankfully, if that was to come off, I will still have seen no lying snow since April

there is no high pressure on the way, it never comes out of FI, I really think we have 6 more weeks of zonal, )I know its not zonal really but what else to call it) would give us around 1 month for snow, mid mar to mid Apr

Posted

It would be stupid if that is what the Met Office said, but what Dame Slingo actually said was "...all the evidence suggests there is a link to climate change." (my italics).  Rather different. So if you are going to criticize, get your facts straight first.

LOL

They are linking our weather to climate change, word it any way you please(or me,or anyone)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

LOLThey are linking our weather to climate change, word it any way you please(or me,or anyone)

Disagreeing over the causes is like "fiddling as Rome burns". The cold hard facts are this.. April 2007 warmest on record,Dec 2010 coldest for 100+ years, April 2011 warmer still, Summer 2012 wettest for 100 years, Spring 2013 coldest for 50 years, winter 2013/2014 wettest on record.The avg CET is rising constantly for most of our calendar months (see opening post of each CET competition thread)This series of events disturbs me. I'd love to be convinced climate change has nothing to do with it but I don't share the faith. Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I find it very odd that weather enthusiasts could be bored this winter. This winter has been far from boring; how could living through the wettest winter period for 250 years be described as boring.

Statistically interesting I guess, but that's about it. There is little pleasure derived from copious amounts of rain IMO, unless it's from thunderstorms. I prefer little rain in the winter, and more in the summer. Winter should be snowy, and summer should be rainy/convective. Of course, this is the UK, so I am disappointment most of the time. 

Plus, it hasn't been exceptionally wet up here. January was certainly a wet month, but not a record breaker - January 2008 was much wetter. Also, not a single day in January here had more than 10mm, so it's basically been small amounts of rain falling almost every day. Hardly exciting. More of a nuisance than anything. The wind has been a little annoying too.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Snow. Posted Image the wait goes on, although I've kind of given up on this winter anyhow.

This reminds me very much of the winter of 1987/88. Very similar, at least in these parts.

Only really a few weeks left of winter now so I reckon that's about it for this one.

Pretty dire except for the Scottish ski resorts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

It's been boring in the fact we've had very similar weather week after week since the middle of December . Even stormy wet weather day after day gets boring after a while

Posted

people would even be bored of snow by now if we had it for the past 2 months, will people be fed up of high pressure if we have it for the next 2 months? how would people cope if they lived in Lerwick or Cairo

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Disagreeing over the causes is like "fiddling as Rome burns". The cold hard facts are this.. April 2007 warmest on record,Dec 2010 coldest for 100+ years, April 2011 warmer still, Summer 2012 wettest for 100 years, Spring 2013 coldest for 50 years, winter 2013/2014 wettest on record.The avg CET is rising constantly for most of our calendar months (see opening post of each CET competition thread)This series of events disturbs me. I'd love to be convinced climate change has nothing to do with it but I don't share the faith.

I will take solace in the fact that the years 2004-2009 had more warmer months than 2010-now at my weather station anyway. The milder months have more often been the cause of higher night-time minima - cloudy nights, rain coming at night etc. Perhaps we should be considering global dimming; that argument carries as much weight.

Nothing to see here.... Extreme weather events happen, they will always be blamed on global warming/climate change, which will always be blamed on humans, as we are the only ones that can change our habits however trivial their contribution are.