Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted

is there no end to this rain?

A drier period/spell is inevitable some point, that said it really surprise me if unsettled turns out to be a recurring theme this year with conditions getting even worse if anything  under the influence of northern blocking.

Edited by SnowObsessor90

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

For the rest of this month the answer unfortunately appears to be no

Posted Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/26057580

hmm.... with respect to matt, im not so sure. the gfs in particular is keen to shift the mean trough eastwards and bring some sort of ridge between the azores and greenland highs. atm all predictions suggest it being transient, but i dunno... maybe im being overly pessimistic (who me? lol) but im expecting a pretty long settled spell at some point after the rains have stopped. and i think only a southern high/bartlett would keep us mild and dry as opposed to just about any other high pressure domination that might bring sunny days, but very cold frosty nights.

id prefer to have freezes in winter, not late feb/early spring (march).

atm theres no support for the gfs in fi, but no other chart goes out that far.

ill start to worry when the anomaly charts support the gfs's solution.

• Like 1

Posted

im pretty sure you will still welcome a heatwave in late august/ early september, so you will have to lump it if we get a a cold, snowy spell in late feb/ early march, there is plenty of time in the next 7-8 months for warmth and heat as that is guaranteed in this country snow isn't, i dread to think how mildies and joe public will cope if we didn't have one single sunny, warm/hot day in spring and summer, just like we haven't had one single ice day this winter or even a flake of snow for most of us

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Would love this to verify, would make such a change from this unbelievable Atlantic attack....We can only dreamPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-32096300-1391715138_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Would love this to verify, would make such a change from this unbelievable Atlantic attack....We can only dreamPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

06Z what model that? on 12Z's now anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

06Z what model that? on 12Z's now anyway

Gfs 06z...

Posted

im pretty sure you will still welcome a heatwave in late august/ early september, so you will have to lump it if we get a a cold, snowy spell in late feb/ early march, there is plenty of time in the next 7-8 months for warmth and heat as that is guaranteed in this country snow isn't, i dread to think how mildies and joe public will cope if we didn't have one single sunny, warm/hot day in spring and summer, just like we haven't had one single ice day this winter or even a flake of snow for most of us

why bring up the 'coldie vs mildies' thing? i didnt mention nor moan at people who like cold weather getting some, so i DO 'lump it', but as this is the moaning thread im perfectly entitled to moan IF we get late cold. you miss the bit where i say i like a proper but short lived dumping of snow, i think every winter NEEDS a cold spell, i just wish it was in january and not march! dont you? (it would be more potent).

over the last 7 years, i bet (in the cet) theres been more snow/ice days then days above 25c.... heat lovers have had to wait 7 years for a decent hot summer spell, meanwhile snow/cold lovers have been spoilt in this period.... we seemed to cope ok thank you!

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

why bring up the 'coldie vs mildies' thing? i didnt mention nor moan at people who like cold weather getting some, so i DO 'lump it', but as this is the moaning thread im perfectly entitled to moan IF we get late cold. you miss the bit where i say i like a proper but short lived dumping of snow, i think every winter NEEDS a cold spell, i just wish it was in january and not march! dont you? (it would be more potent).

over the last 7 years, i bet (in the cet) theres been more snow/ice days then days above 25c.... heat lovers have had to wait 7 years for a decent hot summer spell, meanwhile snow/cold lovers have been spoilt in this period.... we seemed to cope ok thank you!

not sure i totally agree with there being more cold days than warm days to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

^^ In mushymanrob's location that's quite possible. I don't think Derbyshire is renowned for its warmth. In my location warm days have certainly been more numerous (by a small amount) than cold days.

Posted

And here we have it from the other side. When I picked up mushy for his bias you all joined in. Now Tony27 has shown his bias where are all the posters who jumped on mushy???? Edited by Ruufio
  • Like 1

Posted

not sure i totally agree with there being more cold days than warm days to be honest.

^^ In mushymanrob's location that's quite possible. I don't think Derbyshire is renowned for its warmth. In my location warm days have certainly been more numerous (by a small amount) than cold days.

i did cite the cet area... im sure the data exists, 07-12 we had very few days of 25c+ , although the data for 13 might balance things out. but every winter weve had snow, every winter weve had frost days. as for hot/cold spells, we KNOW the cold lovers have had there fair share and more because every winter we had a snow/frost event. between 07-12 theres been no 'heatwave' spells (in the cet) (the southeast fared ok some years).

however if the data shows that we have had more hot (25c+) then snow/frost days in this period then fair play :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Lets hope the met office is right in its long term forecast today maybe some light at the end of a very long tunnel Posted Image

Towards the end of February and into early March, the trend is for less unsettled conditions than we have seen lately, and some drier weather.

We need something drier to develop desperately now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

well just fixed the fence.....again, and i find myself moaning about it to my Wife,then i thought about the flooded areas...the fence means nothing.....,im hoping for a warm dry spring and decent summer so all those affected can dry out and get themselves sorted.I hope that mother nature does balance herself out and this complete and utter crud once its gone don't return anytime soon!

Posted

Lets hope the met office is right in its long term forecast today maybe some light at the end of a very long tunnel Posted Image

Towards the end of February and into early March, the trend is for less unsettled conditions than we have seen lately, and some drier weather.

We need something drier to develop desperately now

... but is it cold dry or mild?...

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Don't think you understand where I'm coming from. I agree that there are the same sort of comments coming from both sides of the divide, but it seems that 50% of mushys comments are about other peoples preferences compared to his own. I'm not saying that I disagree with him, just change the bloody record!

If he bothers you that much surely you could just place him on ignore?

• Like 1

Posted

you don't need it to be above 25c, i don't see milides complaining on a warm sunny april day saying i wish it was 25c or above if it is 18c, yes i agree 25c and above is not common in the UK but you don't really need it to be 30c do you

1c- 3c don't quite cut it for me if it's snowing, it needs to be 0c or below, i can count the amount of ice days and snow days i get on one hand in a year, i would need about 5 hands to count the warm sunny days i get, snow days are probably rarer here than 25c+ days are in scotland, but i don't see the scots complaining if its only 20c and sunny in summer cos that is warm enough despite not being hot

june 2012 was bad but did you not get one single pleasent day in june? i wish we had just one snow day this winter or even a day when it was 2c or 3c, this winter has been wet and windy but we have still seen dry sunny days like today, rain is not constant despite people thinking it is

you are lucky we see some average/mild sunny days in winter which you are glad to see, we don't get frosts or snow in summer, even in autumn that is rare

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

... but is it cold dry or mild?...

I don't care... I'll take it!!! Posted Image

Unless it's a dull cool stratus fed easterly, then I might emigrate 

Posted

If he bothers you that much surely you could just place him on ignore?

Firstly because I like to read mushys comments about the weather, and secondly as long as you can read peoples comments when they're quoted even if you have them on ignore then the 'ignore' function is useless. Edited by Ruufio
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Firstly because I like to read mushys comments about the weather, and secondly as long as you can read peoples comments when they're quoted even if you have them on ignore then the 'ignore' function is useless.

the ignore feature is crap! the main one on my ignore list is, mr_crazy_snowfan