Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

This winter must hold some sort of record for longevity and persistence of Atlantic dominated weather? It has been like Groundhog Day for months now. The Thames is flooding again here and looks like getting worse. Some high pressure, pretty please

• Like 4

Posted

yes many people want a pattern change now, but this bad weather has actually only been going on for 2 months, imagine this lasted until august or september? we tend to get bored of a weather pattern pretty quickly over here, i wonder how weather fans cope in Spain and Portugal when usually it is hot and sunny for about 6-7 months on the trot and in winter they just get bland mild temps and rarely any snow except on high ground it must be very tedious for them, if it's dry hot and sunny in may and june we will get bored of the heatwave and be begging for rain probably come july, i bet we would even be fed up of snow by now if december and jan were cold and snowy

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

This winter is starting to try my patience now, after being pleased with Decembers offering its now just turned awful. Having said that, the past 4 days have been really nice here and quite pleasant. Not sure we will get many pleasant days looking at the models this evening. Roll on Spring and some warmth.

• Like 6

Posted

it's winter, you shouldn't expect mild sunny weather everyday, that would be like coldies complaining in summer that it isn't cold and there is no snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

What a country !!

The weather causes disruption, as if that's not bad enough, the tube workers are out on strike !!

Loads of people may as well, have stayed in bed this morning, as they are not able to get to work

Maybe my mood will improve after breakfast Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Temps are quite possibly looking to slide away after the next stormy spell. Not of course entering deep freeze category, although a few tentative steps towards perhaps something more wintry in terms of precipitation. As always a little elevation will help re snow chances.Certainly nothing very mild expected into the foreseeable.

indeed, the anomaly charts (which as john said are pretty reliable when in agreement over a couple of runs or so ) have been spot on this autumn and winter for spotting the general synoptic pattern. determining where the mean high's and lows are irons out the more extreme opporational runs suggestions.

the anomaly charts now suggest the mean atlantic trough that is to our west to drift eastwards, albeit as a large area of low pressure. if this continues it will allow the azores high to link via a mid atlantic ridge to the greenland high, thus catching the uk in a northerly scourced airflow.

so there is a possibility of something much cooler (and drier) IF this evolution becomes reality.... which of course is a long way from happening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

im surprised we don't take more duvet days than we actually do in this country.  The climate we have certainly doesn't exactly inspire one to get out of bed in the mornings.  Just incessant rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

What a difference a year makes this time last year there wasn't a bud on a tree in sight and as for the daffs they grew down instead of up!(i know its only feb)...i planted laurel trees 18 months ago and although they are evergreen and growth is slow(er) during winter they have grown rapid this winter plenty of liquid and average temps... think i can count the number of frosts on one hand...not that i care i cant stand cold full stop.We are lucky where we are high up...in the land of rolling hills and where the sheep are regularly chased by men in wellies.

But i really feel for those flooded what a nightmare that must be and this wet dank dark muck shows no sign of stopping and i like many hope it calms down for all those affected...good luck and best wishes to those flooded.

Roll on spring and roll roll roll on summer even faster!if we get one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I'll be happy to wave goodbye to this winter in a few short weeks time.

It will be remembered for 2 things.  The winter devoid of low level snow and the winter where the Atlantic never released its grip on us and the seasonal autumn storms kept rolling in like some recurring nightmare.

I'll not be sorry to herald in March and hopefully some warmer and calmer conditions and so will 99% of the country I think.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 3

Posted

What a difference a year makes this time last year there wasn't a bud on a tree in sight and as for the daffs they grew down instead of up!(i know its only feb)...i planted laurel trees 18 months ago and although they are evergreen and growth is slow(er) during winter they have grown rapid this winter plenty of liquid and average temps... think i can count the number of frosts on one hand...not that i care i cant stand cold full stop.We are lucky where we are high up...in the land of rolling hills and where the sheep are regularly chased by men in wellies.

But i really feel for those flooded what a nightmare that must be and this wet dank dark muck shows no sign of stopping and i like many hope it calms down for all those affected...good luck and best wishes to those flooded.

Roll on spring and roll roll roll on summer even faster!if we get one!

Still have pelargoniums in flower in the garden!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

That looks troubling for Saturday. post-15503-0-11372900-1391611052_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

it is a shame that we have not had a decent cold spell so far, especially for those whose weather interest only appears to be snow, any snow, even a few transient flakes, a bit odd in my book but each to their own.

And what exactly is odd to you about someone in winter only being interested in snowy weather? A person doesn't have to be interested in all types of weather you know!In winter time I'm fascinated with snowy weather, in summer I'm fascinated by thunderstorms, I don't see nothing odd in that!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

That looks troubling for Saturday. 

Posted Imagelow.PNG

that looks like a surealist painting

And what exactly is odd to you about someone in winter only being interested in snowy weather? A person doesn't have to be interested in all types of weather you know!

In winter time I'm fascinated with snowy weather, in summer I'm fascinated by thunderstorms, I don't see nothing odd in that!

i agree.  Winter should = cold and snow.  Summer = heat and sun.  Pity the UK doesn't abide by these rules and all it can produce in copious amounts throughout the year is rain.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

And what exactly is odd to you about someone in winter only being interested in snowy weather? A person doesn't have to be interested in all types of weather you know!

In winter time I'm fascinated with snowy weather, in summer I'm fascinated by thunderstorms, I don't see nothing odd in that!

as a weather lover, i find it odd that some people only like one weather type (be it snow or heat). we are lucky to live in a place with such a rich and varied climate, everyday is (usually lol) something different, and the sky is the backdrop to our day...  ill have the 5 course meal over a maccy d's anyday!

• Like 3

Posted

that looks like a surealist painting

i agree.  Winter should = cold and snow.  Summer = heat and sun.  Pity the UK doesn't abide by these rules and all it can produce in copious amounts throughout the year is rain.

not that straight forward im afraid, in spain and portugal it is technically winter but they don't expect cold and snow and very rarely have snow on low ground

personally i don't mind if this weather carries on if we can't have bitter cold and snow, we get plenty of tedious "nothing" type weather throughout the year where we get cloudy days with a few bright spells or sunny intervals that weather bores me to sleep, but joe public wouldn't care one jot if we had that everyday they completely hate any type of interesting dramatic weather, though that is too be expected i suppose as they have no interest in the weather, i feel for the flood affected areas but i am not affected by floods, if i was then i would beg for dry weather, if that makes me selfish then so are people who want snow

plus, it has only being raining here about 3-4 times a week, the other days have been dry with sunny spells or just cloudy and dry, if it rained everyday then i would be fed up of it probably, i want snow now but it don't look like happening so this can carry on for the foreseeable, we have the next 7-8 months for warm sunny weather, im willing to bet if march, april and may are sunny and dry, people will beg for rain come june not cos we will need it, cos they will be bored of dry weather

Edited by Tony27

Posted

If only Telford had the luxury of a varied climate :lol: stratocumulus fest from April - October then dodging the exciting parts of any weather events in the other months.

As for the outlook, charts still same as ever, can guarantee those pockets of sub -4 upper's for next week will be -1/-2 with 6-9c come the day, 12z already ever so slightly starting to trend away from a quieter/cold zonality week next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

If only Telford had the luxury of a varied climate :lol: stratocumulus fest from April - October then dodging the exciting parts of any weather events in the other months. As for the outlook, charts still same as ever, can guarantee those pockets of sub -4 upper's for next week will be -1/-2 with 6-9c come the day, 12z already ever so slightly starting to trend away from a quieter/cold zonality week next week.

Telford sounds grim weather wise! Any chance of you getting out?
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

Telford sounds grim weather wise! Any chance of you getting out?

Telford sounds grim...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Amongst Spain's several months of heat and sun, there are also some whack ass storms too. Madrid apparently is one of the most thundery cities in Europe. I bet lots of dry storms and heat lightning occur over the mainland. Ive certainly seen some crackers over the Spanish vicinity in my travels there, I'd do a hell of a lot to have them storms happen here!

• Like 1

Posted

My heart goes out too all those who have been affected by the storms/floods. 

We desperately need a period of dry calm weather ASAP Come on mother nature, balance out the rotten weather with something better!!

• Like 1

Posted

BBC weather presenter added a throwaway comment that she could not see an end to this weather before the end of February. I don't know if that was the official Met Office view or her personal take. There seems to have been a lull in severe weather warning updates from the Metoffice over the past 24 hours after a period of frenetic updates, this despite amber warnings in place  for the S Coast.

I wonder if their updates are now routed through  COBRA before issue due to the political implications of such briefings as conditions become ever more serious? 

Posted

BBC weather presenter added a throwaway comment that she could not see an end to this weather before the end of February. I don't know if that was the official Met Office view or her personal take. There seems to have been a lull in severe weather warning updates from the Metoffice over the past 24 hours after a period of frenetic updates, this despite amber warnings in place  for the S Coast.

I wonder if their updates are now routed through  COBRA before issue due to the political implications of such briefings as conditions become ever more serious? 

Chris Fawkes said the same thing yesterday. I wouldn't expect to see any warnings until this afternoon for the next event -  Saturday/Sunday's system. Today's rain seems to be skirting south of the SW mostly.

• Like 1