Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted

this winter as bad, if not worse than 1988/9.  I remember that one well as we had no snow whatsoever... well in London anyway.  This one is looking like following suit.  This country can never get its act together when it comes to the weather.  In the summer its always too cloudy and cool and then in the winter its too mild and damp.  Dunno about the scandinavians suffering from depression because of lack of sunlight but i think the UK suffers from depression because of lack of any decent reliable weather...at any time of the year.

i was only 2 in the 88/89 winter so i missed that one thankfully, sadly i also was also too young to remember jan 87 and feb 91, all i have is pictures to look at with my older brother playing in the snow, anyway we will probably get a potent arctic blast in march but all i will get is a bitter cold wind and no snow showers, can you imagine if this summer was another washout summer then next winter was drier but much milder, i think we will all be sent to the funny farm

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes WH agreed.It's been a stubborn beast this Winter.

Insult to injury for coldies with this unending rain which just creates misery all round.

I have got to the point where i would even welcome a 88/9 pattern so we can dry out.Anything but this raging Atlantic jet pattern aimed straight for us for so long.

• Like 2

Posted

No where though have I said I am expecting a mar '13, was a one off 15cms, but snow in March isn't, just hoping to see some lying snow, my first snow lying since April '13

Correct you did not say what I implied , so my apologies for the error(had  a few and miss read your postPosted Image )

moving on I cant be bothered to argue with people who cant see the wood for the trees   or grass.

I am hoping for a summer similar to the one in 1816.

Edited by DAVID SNOW

Posted

i think the mild lovers need to realise that being in the UK they generally get to have lots of the kind of weather they love (ie. mild) so they really could do with giving the coldies a break as invariably cold lovers get such a raw deal with the weather in this country.  Just a thought.

the fact is mildies have it much easier than coldies, we get many more mild/warm days in a year than cold/ snowy days, 21c which is the average temp in summer is warm enough in sunshine, ideally we want it to be 0c or below in winter and then we need the precipitation and that is far harder to achieve 

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

... but if it was freezing it would be worse. if these floodwaters froze now it would prolong the clear up, it would add another dimension of misery to their plight. i think if i was underwater i wouldnt be insulted to think that some people wanted it to freeze up!

Yes, you're right. Just a shame it wasn't freezing and dry from the onset, eh? Posted Image

huh...dunno how that happened..

tws.... im my experience the people i meet, and in my job i meet alot, dont like the cold. they dont like it and dont want it. this is reflected on other non weather forums too. so my view might be 'perceived', but its one based on actual feedback.

Funnily enough, my mother recently asked me if it was going to snow after watching a BBC news bulletin about more floods and strong winds.. I told her that it wasn't, and she responded with,  "This is disgusting." I think I am managing to convert people to my side. Posted Image

Seriously though, I think it's mostly the cold associated with snow, and the disruption snow causes, rather than snow itself. I knew very few people who actually like freezing conditions, but I know people who get excited when it snows. If snow was handled better, I think people would probably dislike it less, since it wouldn't (always) result in mass disruption.

But you're right in your observations - people in general like mundane weather - neither very hot or very cold, just warm or mild. Not too much rain, no thunderstorms, hail, strong winds or anything adverse.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted

What we need is a fuzzy feeling from the meto that changes beyond mid feb look like a possibility, I've seen nothing to suggest this.

Not that that means it won't happen!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers

And only 8 days away..what could possibly go wrongPosted Image gawd just for once could the ecm verify instead of leading us up the garden path all the time.Posted Image

Start of the upgrades I mentioned earlier. Keep watching during the week for more wintry charts that will verify.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Start of the upgrades I mentioned earlier. Keep watching during the week for more wintry charts that will verify.

Hope your'e rightPosted Image

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

nah, im not an anti cold troll...im an anti cold biased troll! :p thats why i disappear in winter because i cannot abide the bias on here, the 'spot the cold evolution' game, its incredibly unhelpful to those who just want realistic, unbiased weather predictions. its no wonder there are tabloid headlines predicting major freezes, the journos view these forums and thats their scource of info! :lol:  thats untrue... the few posts ive made here arnt about my preferances vs the coldies, theyve been about the general publics views... the point being that the % of cold weather fans on here is totally disproportionate to what there is in real life, and they 'call' unbiased weathermen for not sharing their desire. i dont care who likes what weather, but i object to unbiased people being put down by any faction and called because their predictions or comments dont suit the agenda. i also object to those who dont like cold on here being made to feel uncomfortable, as some have mentioned, as if its a crime to not like cold. as for changing the record.... lol... how do you think those who want an unbiased realistic prediction feel on here in winter? and of course you dont have to read what i post... it bothers me not. :)

Mushy you keep harping on about unbiased/biased...the MOD thread is the same in Summer minus about 900 people. You had Gavin (Summer Sun) posting high pressure warm charts from March last year for about 8 weeks before one actually verified. You had Shedhead talking down any sort of warmth throughout the Summer (notably the July heatwave) - He talks down cold in Winter so not sure if he enjoys any type of weather! You had Frosty posting about heatwaves everyday for about 2 months before one actually happened. There is no difference - you seem slightly obsessed with people who have a like for snow or cold weather in general. I enjoy reading what you have to say in Summer but posts like the ones you have been making recently don't do you any good. You don't get people on here in Summer going on and on about how much they dislike people for wanting sunny and warm weather. I am not having a go at anyone I have mentioned in this post - each to there own but for the love of god can you please stop going on and on about the same thing over and over again, every single year. :-) Cheers.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I'm definitely more of mildie than a coldie but I'd welcome a couple of late winter weeks of snow before a warm and early start to spring similar to March 2012 but without the rain that followed!

My daughter has forgotten what snow feels like (she's not yet 3) but last winter she thought it snowed all the time. We had to explain to her in April that it would one day be warm with leaves on the trees. Here's dreaming. .

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

By the time this pattern looks to break, it will already be Spring! 

Given the last few years, I think it's fair to suggest Spring starts in April - giving us just short of 7-8 weeks left of potential 'snow' opportunities, if not the deep cold some crave. Winter is about snow in my mind, not cold dry days so there's a lot to be gained still.

Posted

Did any model forecast snow for the West Country moors in the lead up to this evening?

Until Saturday the front was shown to cross to the East by mid afternoon however it has been very slow moving and snow is now falling on Dartmoor as the temperature drops.

• Like 3

Posted

I have been a reader of this site for several years but am not a weather obsessive and haven't necessarily a weather type bias but the winter model thread can get embarrassing for the sniping that goes on, it doesn't happen during the summer to anywhere near the same extent.

You have to be brave to post in there unless you want extreme cold and snow but I agree with Mushy most people DONT want cold weather, most people just want to see the sun and they will make do with the cold if they can't get the mild/warm to go with it. Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Mushy you keep harping on about unbiased/biased...the MOD thread is the same in Summer minus about 900 people.You had Gavin (Summer Sun) posting high pressure warm charts from March last year for about 8 weeks before one actually verified. You had Shedhead talking down any sort of warmth throughout the Summer (notably the July heatwave) - He talks down cold in Winter so not sure if he enjoys any type of weather!You had Frosty posting about heatwaves everyday for about 2 months before one actually happened.There is no difference - you seem slightly obsessed with people who have a like for snow or cold weather in general.I enjoy reading what you have to say in Summer but posts like the ones you have been making recently don't do you any good.You don't get people on here in Summer going on and on about how much they dislike people for wanting sunny and warm weather.I am not having a go at anyone I have mentioned in this post - each to there own but for the love of god can you please stop going on and on about the same thing over and over again, every single year. :-)Cheers.

Good post Mr F and for some I think the problem maybe too much grass.

• Like 3

Posted

Mushy is right of course when he says the cold love-in on here is disproportionate to real life, but I'd query whether the "vast majority" dislike cold. Just look at how many happy faces there are when it snows. If we're talking about extreme cold, I think a lot of "coldies" in here aren't looking for that either but rather moderate cold and short-lived snow events. So far this winter we've struggled even to get ground frosts never mind houses buried in snow and -20C, so I'm sure a lot more people than just extreme cold junkies are frustrated at the moment.

By the way Mushy, I'd wager at least as many people hated July 2006 for its heat as they did December 2010 for its cold. More like "a month to forget" for the "vast majority" of people (not me by the way - I loved it too). Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it's rather like what Cheese suggested- the vast majority of people dislike cold, but opinion on snow is somewhat more divided, especially among the younger generations.  If we could get snow without the associated cold weather and disruption, chances are that the majority of the population would welcome it most of the time, but as a country that is used to mild and moist winters, we generally aren't very well prepared and so it causes a lot of frustration.  Then again, the countries that are most prepared for cold snowy weather are generally those that have so much of it that by late winter most people get bored of having a constant blanket of snow and start longing to see something green.

I can't say that my experiences have been consistent with the vast majority disliking thunderstorms either- like with snow there is quite a sharp divide in opinion.  However, when it comes to media broadcasts, perhaps this is missing the point, as they tend to focus on disruption to businesses and the rush hour commute, and from that perspective the overall impacts of snow and thunderstorms are strongly negative unless you're working for an industry like the Scottish ski resorts.  I still retain my reservations about reassuring viewers with tailored value judgements, however.

As for July 2006, a survey of public opinion would probably reveal considerable regional variation, with central London faring worst and northern and coastal parts of the country faring best.  The same would also hold true for August 1995.  Trouble is, a lot of media coverage is very London-centric.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Mushy you keep harping on about unbiased/biased...the MOD thread is the same in Summer minus about 900 people.

You had Gavin (Summer Sun) posting high pressure warm charts from March last year for about 8 weeks before one actually verified. You had Shedhead talking down any sort of warmth throughout the Summer (notably the July heatwave) - He talks down cold in Winter so not sure if he enjoys any type of weather!

You had Frosty posting about heatwaves everyday for about 2 months before one actually happened.

There is no difference - you seem slightly obsessed with people who have a like for snow or cold weather in general.

I enjoy reading what you have to say in Summer but posts like the ones you have been making recently don't do you any good.

You don't get people on here in Summer going on and on about how much they dislike people for wanting sunny and warm weather.

I am not having a go at anyone I have mentioned in this post - each to there own but for the love of god can you please stop going on and on about the same thing over and over again, every single year. :-)

Cheers.

hi

your assesment is pretty accurate, :) , there are a couple of rampers, or those who try to put an optimistic view on what might happen. as you say though the ratio is much much lower and you get far more unbiased balanced views in summer making the forum a far better place for realistic information. trust me, if (god forbid) summer was anything like as frantic and at times unreasonable as it is in winter, id moan about that too! :lol:

Mushy is right of course when he says the cold love-in on here is disproportionate to real life, but I'd query whether the "vast majority" dislike cold. Just look at how many happy faces there are when it snows. If we're talking about extreme cold, I think a lot of "coldies" in here aren't looking for that either but rather moderate cold and short-lived snow events. So far this winter we've struggled even to get ground frosts never mind houses buried in snow and -20C, so I'm sure a lot more people than just extreme cold junkies are frustrated at the moment.

By the way Mushy, I'd wager at least as many people hated July 2006 for its heat as they did December 2010 for its cold. More like "a month to forget" for the "vast majority" of people (not me by the way - I loved it too). Posted Image

only going off my experiences in real life and away from weather forums... yes, i think most are like myself, generally dont like cold, but dont mind a short snowy spell. dont get me wrong, i like a good dumping, i just dislike the weeks of ice and slush and frosts. i absolutly understand people wanting and enjoying snow.... i dont get though those who simply want cold for colds sake. from my pov, either snow properly or let it be mild.

of course theres no figures regarding the dislike of heat vs cold... i know alot hate the heat, but i look outside, in hot weather there seems to be more people out enjoying it, bbq's, sunbathing, pools, outdoor living, then there is when it snows/freezes.

anyway, im fed up with the wet myself, albeit not too cold... theres no real sign of a change anytime soon either.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I'm taking a break from this place until Spring proper arrives. I have had it with the repetitive charts, all showing the same thing day after day, week after week. I've even stopped watching tv weather forecasts.....whats the point in watching them? Different face telling the same story over and over. A story that is as hatefully depressing as watching a particularly miserable Eastenders episode, and then having to watch it again and again until you can take no more and end up wanting to put your boot through the telly.

I've had an interest in weather for many years, but too much of the same thing for too long becomes tiresome....and this weather type has gone on way too long, and has caused relentless misery for so many people, there is just no way I can find it "interesting" in any way shape or form.

See you guys whenever.....I'm going to do something with my life that is more enjoyable than looking at depressing weather charts, and watching repetative weather forecasts all saying the same thing day after day after day after day...after day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

but by god you do come across as an anti-cold troll.

, but it seems that 50% of mushys comments are about other peoples preferences compared to his own. I'm not saying that I disagree with him, just change the bloody record!

Nicely put and I also agree 100% with what you say regarding said poster!

but for the love of god can you please stop going on and on about the same thing over and over again, every single year. :-)

guys (ok theres nothing much to talk about model wise so...) the point is that when i am critical of the coldies, i get this criticism....but when  going on and on and turn on the perceived 'mildies in the media, its ok!  as i see it, moaning about lack of cold, moaning about 'mildies', with all the associated baggage is totally ok...but moaning about the cold bias isnt?..

ill change the record when coldies do the same thing! :p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

getting a bit tired of the 'coldies' and 'mildies' wrangle.  Who cares?  The fact is the winter is boringly atrocious this year and this is partly the reason why tempers are getting frayed and the forum is becoming quieter by the day.  Mildies, for goodness sake give it a rest too, you will have several months of being able to go on about how lovely and mild the weather is.  Coldies generally don't get that luxury even during the depth of a british winter, so please cut some slack and let us have our winge and moan for a few months at least?

• Like 2

Posted

No one seems to learn .. tut tut , how about we get to a range of a few days HOURS to go before being too sure of the outcome of models and getting excited and then crash were all saddend after the all the hype previously .

It's nice model watching but seriously lets wait & see :)

Posted

I'm taking a break from this place until Spring proper arrives. I have had it with the repetitive charts, all showing the same thing day after day, week after week. I've even stopped watching tv weather forecasts.....whats the point in watching them? Different face telling the same story over and over. A story that is as hatefully depressing as watching a particularly miserable Eastenders episode, and then having to watch it again and again until you can take no more and end up wanting to put your boot through the telly.

I've had an interest in weather for many years, but too much of the same thing for too long becomes tiresome....and this weather type has gone on way too long, and has caused relentless misery for so many people, there is just no way I can find it "interesting" in any way shape or form.

See you guys whenever.....I'm going to do something with my life that is more enjoyable than looking at depressing weather charts, and watching repetative weather forecasts all saying the same thing day after day after day after day...after day.

i understand your frustration but i can't resist looking at the charts and i won't give up hunting for snow till march, all i have to do is turn on my computer and click a few buttons to look at the charts, it's not like going to work or doing the domestic chores even though model watching feels like a chore right now and is annoying seeing the same old crap churn out

btw technically this bad weather has only being going on for two months, in two months time it will only be april still two months before summer even starts, will people be fed up by june if april and may are warm, sunny and dry? and we will still have the whole of summer to come

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 2