Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted

It's not the temperatures that bother me....it's the constant wetness. We've had 3c and raining and 13c and raining in the last month. For me, both are fairly miserable. I can accept some wet periods during the winter, it's a large part of makes up a British winter. Of course, we're interested in the bits inbetween. Those are when we get the chances of either a February 1998 or December 2010 (those two being the most extreme examples and likely not to be repeated for some time of course).

But there's been no 'bits in between' this winter. It's getting people down..and I don't just mean cold weather enthusiasts. The general mood amongst people in this weather stinks. At work, it's a constant cycle of people gawping out of a window and muttering 'bloody hell, not again'.

Edited by Gord

Posted

dry and sunny again here today albeit windy, the only rain i had this week was yesterday and wednesday, looks dry again tomorrow and monday despite synoptics looking awful, other times we have been under strong high pressure with all them fancy red colours on the charts and it has been dull and damp 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Car thermometers usually only have .0 or .5 anyway dont they? I know Hyundai ix20 just has the whole number

Posted

The mild bias from Gibbs, Hammond  wyne etc is really calling the chickens home to roost, how about just for a change they could say "what we NEED now is some COLD weather" very simplistic  I know but remember 12 inches of snow  melts out to 1 inch of rain(and it NEVER happens that quick anyway)

So cmon bbc/meto forecasters lets drop that "at least it will be mild" crud and explain why a cold period of winter weather will help ALL those flooded areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Get steve murr on bbc tv! instead of the mild loving people that are on bbc now, fergieweather is legendary though, great to have him on this forum, but he is mild biased, not on my ignore list of course

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252
  • Like 3

Posted

The mild bias from Gibbs, Hammond  wyne etc is really calling the chickens home to roost, how about just for a change they could say "what we NEED now is some COLD weather" very simplistic  I know but remember 12 inches of snow  melts out to 1 inch of rain(and it NEVER happens that quick anyway)

So cmon bbc/meto forecasters lets drop that "at least it will be mild" crud and explain why a cold period of winter weather will help ALL those flooded areas.

seems strange that most of these weather presenters are mild lovers, which ones are snow lovers?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We miss you Uncle Azores. Rescue us from our nightmare and give us dry settled weather.

seems strange that most of these weather presenters are mild lovers, which ones are snow lovers?

Alex Deakin,Peter Gibbs, Tomaz Schafenaker??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Frankly the charts on show at the moment are some of the worst I have seen in my time model watching. low after low crashing through the UK bring lots of rain and strong winds. I just want out, by any means necessary!

• Like 1

Posted

i did think peter gibbs was a coldie but i don't watch bbc weather much these days anyway, i got fed up with all their mild bias crap and always looking sad and miserable whenever snow was forecast, then after the forecast finished the news presenters would say something like "oh dear roll on spring"

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

We miss you Uncle Azores. Rescue us from our nightmare and give us dry settled weather.Alex Deakin,Peter Gibbs, Tomaz Schafenaker??

Tomaz is certainly not a snow lover, I have him on Twitter and he hates the stuff! 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

What mildie is using a little snowman as a voodoo doll and stabing it with knives? Posted Image

post-6445-0-51719100-1391295124_thumb.jp

Edited by sundog
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Can't think of any now that are, that's why I miss Rob McElwee presenting the weather, especially when snow was in the forecast.
  • Like 1

Posted

the bbc probably only employ mild lovers they don't want anyone who might offend joe public if they say snow is good or look happy when forecasting snow

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

18z = wet and windy

At least that will make a pleasant change. :-/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We miss you Uncle Azores. Rescue us from our nightmare and give us dry settled weather.Alex Deakin,Peter Gibbs, Tomaz Schafenaker??

Pretty sure Chris Fawkes is a fan of cold weather.

Anyway, I'm just glad that we won't get much rain here, but I sympathise with people in the SW.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers

I'm going to make a very bold prediction guys, I predict we will have our first cold snap before easter :-)

Mid feb

What mildie is using a little snowman as a voodoo doll and stabing it with knives? Posted Image

That'll be Martin Gibbs
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

sirs, you are deluded!Posted Image

these people are weather forecasters and forecast without bias. and the vast majority of the popuation DO NOT LIKE IT COLD! forecasters included. and referring to gibbs/hammon as having a mild bias is actually quite insulting.

its only on these forums that cold lovers come out to play, so when they say 'at least itll be mild' they are giving out the news most want to hear.

as for a cold spell now.... lakes of ice? is that good news for those under flood? whats needed is dry weather, mild or cold but not freezing.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 5

Posted

sirs, you are deluded!Posted Image

these people are weather forecasters and forecast without bias. and the vast majority of the popuation DO NOT LIKE IT COLD! forecasters included. and referring to gibbs/hammon as having a mild bias is actually quite insulting.

its only on these forums that cold lovers come out to play, so when they say 'at least itll be mild' they are giving out the news most want to hear.

as for a cold spell now.... lakes of ice? is that good news for those under flood? whats needed is dry weather, mild or cold but not freezing.

You want too see my local alleged metrology  presenters on BBC North west, they definitely have a mild bias, but what they know about weather you could write on the back of a postage stamp. Also the vast majority of the UK aren't interested in weather or they would be posting here.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon

We definitely need some dry calm weather . From a selfish point of view I would love to see some snow ,lots of it ,but then again is the problem of it melting ,more bloody water ! I reckon we will get a very cold spell mid February onwards. Please don't ask me to * back it up with pretty pictures etc !just a gut feeling . Enjoy your Sunday everyone

• Like 1

Posted

One of our local forecasters is Sarah Blizzard. She doesn't do the forecast often, and despite her name, I'd say she's not fond of snow. No-one beats Rob MacElwee — he was just superb.

Posted

You're down on your luck, the hope of any cold this winter fading ever more, then to top it all off- Punxsutawney Phil forecasts six more weeks of winter in the states!! The last nail in the coffin to the UK...

It's official folks! the Groundhog has spoken :p

• Like 1

Posted

You're down on your luck, the hope of any cold this winter fading ever more, then to top it all off- Punxsutawney Phil forecasts six more weeks of winter in the states!! The last nail in the coffin to the UK... It's official folks! the Groundhog has spoken :p

Is phil's forecast local or national draz?