Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

considering we are so far north (and still remain elusive in getting any reliable decent cold and snow) unless you're at some decent altitude (ie. Scottish highlands) and even there nothing is guaranteed.  Just wish this country had some decent mountains of over 6000 ft like in most other countries.  at least that way if we wanted snow we could almost guarantee it even if it didn't snow at the lower levels as in most of the UK.  The ice age didn't leave us with particularly awesome mountain ranges it has to be said.  Pity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Where's all the snow this winter?  The USA by the looks of this video:

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/weather/2014/01/28/4950107/

My family live out there.  This is the sign up at the local church in Ontario, Canada that reads

"Whoever is praying for snow..  Please Stop!"

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted

Oh dear .. the mad modellers have all thrown in the towel, put up the white flag and admitted defeat from our big lovely Atlantic ocean, well direction thereof!!  .. Cold spells bring much misery to lots of our folk not to mention accidents but still the coldaphillics gnash their teeth .. it is a rather bizarre fetish .. go to the Alps the snow is lovely at the moment .. bring on a nice mild warm late winter..

• Like 3

Posted

Oh dear .. the mad modellers have all thrown in the towel, put up the white flag and admitted defeat from our big lovely Atlantic ocean, well direction thereof!!  .. Cold spells bring much misery to lots of our folk not to mention accidents but still the coldaphillics gnash their teeth .. it is a rather bizarre fetish .. go to the Alps the snow is lovely at the moment .. bring on a nice mild warm late winter..

I think your lovely atlantic rain is causing far more misery than any snow would

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I remember as a very young lad the mild winters of the 1950s, later the warm early 70s winters and of course some of the recent so called modern day winters, but nothing compares to this for lack of snowfall so far in your bog, soggy so called winter. Glad I am not over there, but family inform me of the rentless rainfall , week in , week out.

Strange that the Canadian Super Vortex is held responsible for the UK miserable winter, but my son who lives out in Vancouver reports a very mild winter in the west as in stark contrast to the east. So its all a matter of swings and roundabouts. The last few winters it seems were better than par for cold lovers in the UK, but by god you are now having to pay for it.

I wish you all well in coping with the relentless rainfall.

C

• Like 4

Posted

i would go to the alps if i could afford it.  not all of us are that lucky.

• Like 1

Posted

One thing is for sure if nothing ends up materializing  over the next month (highly likely) and next Winter starts off in a similar fashion then I'm going to stop model watching indefinitely until we get another cold spell worthy of the name which for all we know could take years and years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Not even close to seeing one snowflake this winter and now I see that it is going to snow as far south as the Carolina's in the States today and tonight. It seems all the cold has stayed the other side of "the pond" this winter. Suppose after being spoilt with above average snowfalls in this part of the Uk over last 6/7 years we are paying for it  this winter with just relentless rain!! Although December was Mild, January I would say has just been a tad above average as the rain has made it feel cool more often than not.

I was still hoping that the Strat Warming was our last chance of a decent cold spell in 10-14 days time, but as others have stated earlier,those hopes are diminishing by the day!Posted Image.The blasted PV situated over Canada seems to have been the main driver this winter for us down the line and looking at temps for next 10 days in Eastern Canada, Midwest and NE USA they will remain well below average meaning that more than likely we will be punished by the relentless zonal train which is the last thing that floodhit Britain needs. Only crumb of comfort this year is my heating bill has been a darn sight less than last winterPosted Image

Posted · Hidden by Bobby, January 28, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Bobby, January 28, 2014 - No reason given

In my opinon the greatest piece of music ever written, composed nearly 400 years ago and will be played for many more centuries to come

Timeless truly. How much of modern music will be played regularly 400 years from now?

Posted

One thing is for sure if nothing ends up materializing  over the next month (highly likely) and next Winter starts off in a similar fashion then I'm going to stop model watching indefinitely until we get another cold spell worthy of the name which for all we know could take years and years.

i agree. model watching in this country is just far too stressful and even when they look good, they turn out to be incorrect.  What's the point?  We could all take a guess at what the weather patterns are going to do.  In the end, models or no models...it really is guess work.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Preapre yourself! Mini-rant-moan incoming! Posted Image

This winter has been pathetic in terms of cold, snow and ice!!!! Posted Image

It's probably the worst winter I have ever had the displeasure to endure through (Including the mild 90 winters and early 2000's - even they cropped up a cold spell here and there!!)

We've had nothing but rain, rain, and more rain, adding onto the misery that many have had to live through, with copuios amounts of floodwater ruining people's houses!

If you couldn't tell, I hate this winter with a passion. I had felt really optimistic in November 2013, before winter began, but now my hope and faith in anything cold has diminshed away really quickly. The models have lead us up the garden path, again, again and again! You really can;t take anything serious past t96 hours!

Can we get a cold spell in Feb and maybe March? Possibly, as March 2013 has proved, cold weather is not exclusive to winter months.

As many have mentioned on here, this is probably Mother Nature's way of saying "Well, the UK has had 7 years of colder than average winters - its about time they endured a milder one for a change." And as much as we may want cold weather, the weather just won't listen to us! I mean how hard is is to place some strong High Heights to our north in the GIN corridor, deflect the jetstream south, and pull in LP systems bringing in E/NE winds and snow? According to the weather this year, really difficult! Curse you colder-than-average strat!! Whats the betting though that a Greenland Block sets up in May? Just our luck! Posted Image

I'm hoping that Winter 14/15 will be akin to what the US is experiencing now. There are signs that next year will have a eQBO and maybe an El-nino, but time will tell, eh? Posted Image

Anyway, I give up! I've had enough! No more model watching for me!...Posted Image

...but I might still have a little hope and faith left that something cold and wintry will pop up in Feb/March.

~mpkio2~

Edited by mpkio2
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Just look at all that heavy snow falling into the Atlantic - what a waste!!!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

yes March was very cold last year i agree, but the snow we did have didnt linger for very long despite the cold temperatures.  the sun is getting too strong by march for any snow to last long.  if we don't get any snow by mid february then this winter is over.

Really? I live in northants and we had lying snow and drifts for a good 10 days last march, got a good three weeks from some of the drifts. But iam fairly rural, if you live in town you prob wouldn't get lying snow for as long because of the urban warming effect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers & Mild Winters

I think your lovely atlantic rain is causing far more misery than any snow would

Snow melts and causes floods. #JustSaying
  • Like 1

Posted

What really amazes me with this disappointing winter is the sheer lack of decent charts even in extreme F.I. Even during some of the poorest winters you were given some hope.

The most annoying feature of this winter is a certain person who predicts endless blizzards throughout the winter months (every winter!) has the cheek to say how accurate he has been. Im sure many like me haven't even seen a single snowflake all winter. Tne problem is this person predicts widespread UK snow and yet if only a single flake falls on top of the scottish mountains he claims success.

Have to say the Met O have been excellent this winter, whereas my own instincts have been very poor. Bottom line is whatever the models are suggesting you need back up from the Met O.

• Like 7

Posted

I'm fed up with the lack of snow and the lack of cold FI charts too.  I feel like going out and stamping on the first crocus I see.

• Like 1

Posted

I did say a couple of days ago that a big Russian high is a killer for cold uk weather(90%) interesting to read today on the MOD thread that Nick F seems to agree.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers

If the westerly onslaught wasn't quite so pronounced big changes would have been afoot. Nearer sub zero temps and snow sometimes in abundance. Ok not everyone's cuppa but then again neither are flooding problems etc. Chances of at least some respite has once again diminished. Lashing down out there as I type!

I heard on the radio there may be hosepipe bans by April because we are currently having the wrong type of rain! Lol

Posted

other people on here might be hoping for a bartlett but not me, personally im not affected by the floods and the river in my area hasn't burst it's banks, we have 8-9 months ahead of us where we can see mild, warm, dry weather i don;t really want to see that happen in feb, i wouldn't mind a few pleasant spring like days in late feb but i wouldn't want the whole month to be dominated by mild, dry weather, in fact i detest cloudy, dry, mild weather in winter, i only like sunny days, if we can't have snow then i wouldn't mind it staying zonal, it doesn't rain here everyday anyway, this week it has been dry and bright despite the 500mb looking unsettled with low pressure over us, another another option is we have faux cold with foggy or sunny cold days and night frosts but even that is too hard to get atm with the Atlantic so fired up, am i selfish for wanting zonal weather to continue if we don't have snow?

as for model watching i cant give up that habit even when things look as dire as they do now

Edited by Tony27

Posted

Not sure any of it really matters, one or two rather hung up what is only the weather after all. Have had 7 decent winters on the bounce since 2006/7 and 3 of those were excellent (referring to my location). This one looks like it will have been pretty rubbish, but 1 in 8 is pretty good going to be honest. Still time for something of interest yet anyway...

Edited by ribster

Posted

If the westerly onslaught wasn't quite so pronounced big changes would have been afoot. Nearer sub zero temps and snow sometimes in abundance. Ok not everyone's cuppa but then again neither are flooding problems etc. Chances of at least some respite has once again diminished. Lashing down out there as I type!

Too many ifs buts and maybes this winter: always too much cold spilling south east out of Canada fueling the jet and spawning low after low and without any robust block to our east we end up in no mans land. A Russian high  looks nice but it cant back west,

• Like 1

Posted

you just know that pressure rise over southern europe shown at T200 will make it all the way down to T0 and verify, and if it doesn't at least the mildies will suffer the disappointment of being garden pathed like us coldies have been, that will make me laugh a bit

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just look at all that heavy snow falling into the Atlantic - what a waste!!!

Posted Image

I was looking at that and thinking the same. I've never understood the logic of snow falling over sea but not over land.