Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted

I have massive dilemma on my hands now, do I just around and wait for something to materialise  or do I take a trip to the alps/ Switzerland and risk making a fool out of myself in event that the cold does end up arriving?, either way I can't win.

Edited by SnowObsessor90

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

true there is February and March ...and even April to go, but with the forecast for nothing cold in February then we are going into March, which by then is too late imo.  yes we could get snow but it wont hang around for very long.  Why can't we just get 'winter' weather when we should (ie. in the winter rather than the spring)?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I have massive dilemma on my hands now, do I just around and wait for something to materialise  or do I take a trip to the alps/ Switzerland and risk making a fool out of myself in event that the cold does end up arriving?, either way I can't win.

personally i would take that trip if you're lucky enough to be able to afford it.  I wouldnt hold out much hope for anything to happen on these shores.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Tamara is our new gp

She makes fantastic posts

When every one is losing there heads.

Excellent work Tamara

Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, January 27, 2014 - A bit personal???
Hidden by Methuselah, January 27, 2014 - A bit personal???

Tamara is our new gpShe makes fantastic postsWhen every one is losing there heads.Excellent work TamaraThanks.

Agree they are good posts but personally I prefer a more SM type approach - punchy one liners with at least a stab at a prediction. With tamara I find my eyes glazing over by the time I've tried to absorb what shes says - thats just me being dense not a critique !

Is she predicting a cold mid Feb though, appeared to be too many if's and buts to me on that one

• Like 1
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

I think all coldies are going to need some patience, its about 10 months until november!!!!!  This winter has been hideous. no cold and just shed loads of rain and more to come by the looks of it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

Winter doom merchants having a field day I see, the search for cold starts again. Fickle model flips cold to mild, then hopefully back to cold again! Posted Image

Posted

Tamara is our new gpShe makes fantastic postsWhen every one is losing there heads.Excellent work TamaraThanks.

If the predictions come true.At the mo the weather is defying all the 'experts' and 'soothsayers'.......except for Meto who have been bang on the money, most of the time. Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Something I've noticed in quite a few updates lately from the met's longer range update is this

Northwestern parts of the UK affected by the most frequent spells of unsettled and windy weather

"Meanwhile southern and eastern regions will tend to see the longer spells of drier and brighter weather. Some colder periods are possible, particularly between the weather systems, but in general temperatures close to the seasonal average are most likely"

Currently covers Tuesday 11 Feb 2014 to Tuesday 25 Feb

That suggests to me high pressure could start and influence the south and east more than of late with low pressure crossing north of Scotland, I know non of the models so this currently but it would be welcome news for the likes of somerset

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Might need to change my travel plans for the end of the week, due to travel up to Aviemore on Saturday and I'm not liking the charts - blizzard conditions higher up! I might travel up on the Friday ahead of this incoming system. Might see some changes as this is still 5 days away, UKMO also looking a bit scary. 

post-9615-0-58496600-1390844617_thumb.pn post-9615-0-89127200-1390844673_thumb.pn

UKMO

post-9615-0-32222100-1390844832_thumb.gipost-9615-0-53520300-1390844843_thumb.gi

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Winter doom merchants having a field day I see, the search for cold starts again. Fickle model flips cold to mild, then hopefully back to cold again! Posted Image

And before you know it.....winter weather will be....wait for it...(drum roll)......TEN DAYS AWAY.....ta daaaa...backed up by a chart showing stratospheric warming at t+288 or further out still.

December was an epic fail of a winter month...January goes in the bin as well....February??? Does anyone have any faith that it will turn out any different? I don't...I reckon winter 2013/14 will go down as the worst since 1988/89...in terms of rainfall possibly even worse.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

You can tell that the model output is poor for cold when there's only 3 pages of posts all day in the main thread, and half of them are from mild rampers! Posted Image

I still think February has something cold in store for us; maybe not in the first week, but soon after.

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

And before you know it.....winter weather will be....wait for it...(drum roll)......TEN DAYS AWAY.....ta daaaa...backed up by a chart showing stratospheric warming at t+288 or further out still.

December was an epic fail of a winter month...January goes in the bin as well....February??? Does anyone have any faith that it will turn out any different? I don't...I reckon winter 2013/14 will go down as the worst since 1988/89...in terms of rainfall possibly even worse.

Must mean it will be cold next winter for sure!! White xmas a dead cert. Posted Image (Yeah Rite....)

Posted

And before you know it.....winter weather will be....wait for it...(drum roll)......TEN DAYS AWAY.....ta daaaa...backed up by a chart showing stratospheric warming at t+288 or further out still. December was an epic fail of a winter month...January goes in the bin as well....February??? Does anyone have any faith that it will turn out any different? I don't...I reckon winter 2013/14 will go down as the worst since 1988/89...in terms of rainfall possibly even worse.

Spot on Carl...........jam 'tomorrow'.
  • Like 1

Posted

I think a cautionary note on the strat warming.... it's something UKMO's M-R folk have been watching closely all winter (as you'd imagine). I just asked about this, i.e. re their views on the NCEP signals of late. They tell me: "GLOSEA5, the UKMO seasonal model, doesn't seem to support this event all that much and since it hasn't been working so far this season in terms of getting the warmer air down in reality, this signal isn't being used in relation to forecasting a change to colder periods." 

There was a much more pronounced signal emerging back in earlier Jan (modelled for later Jan and into early Feb, as some on this forum are aware), but that was lost.

That'll do me....Meto says "No". The top performers this Winter.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Well as a forecast, an overall permit, I'd rather not neither commit nor judge until support ( via ens) or 18z have rolled out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

That'll do me....Meto says "No". The top performers this Winter.

Any idea who they out performed at all?They are payed professionals and have forecast well so far.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

I think a cautionary note on the strat warming.... it's something UKMO's M-R folk have been watching closely all winter (as you'd imagine). I just asked about this, i.e. re their views on the NCEP signals of late. They tell me: "GLOSEA5, the UKMO seasonal model, doesn't seem to support this event all that much and since it hasn't been working so far this season in terms of getting the warmer air down in reality, this signal isn't being used in relation to forecasting a change to colder periods." 

There was a much more pronounced signal emerging back in earlier Jan (modelled for later Jan and into early Feb, as some on this forum are aware), but that was lost.

Meto have navigated their way through this Winter with great professionalism, ( as they have too of course) but great posts from Ian and colleagues on this forum really help the novices ( me included) navigate their way through some of the posts - as already said above whatever the models have shown this year Meto have been bang on the money with their forecasts this Winter , obviously the finances used on the "super models" they use is money and time well spent it appears.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

If the predictions come true.

At the mo the weather is defying all the 'experts' and 'soothsayers'.......except for Meto who have been bang on the money, most of the time.

I rather think the intention is to provide some analysis and explanation of what is happening in the model output and possibilities ahead, and not making cast iron predictions. Any predictions that have been made being centred around how the NH pattern may evolve - and not using an oracle to predict a freeze or other definitive prediction of weather type. I'm not just talking about me here, but many many other members of this forum who try to do such analysis. And very well they do it too imo.

As for the METO, well they are professionals with more information to hand than members of this forum (or 'soothsayers' as you describe them/us) who are simply trying to provide helpful guidance with whatever information is available. No-one here is earning a wage for what they are doing - so therefore they can afford to speculate a lot more.

At least people are having a go at reading between the lines - also its a lot to expect of anyone here to follow someone of the depth of knowledge and ability of GP since he left net weather. But Chiono f.e has made an excellent start with a forecast for the winter that has followed proceedings very accurately. A strong vortex was expected - but gauging the amount of strength is something that the METO will struggle with too...

Spot on Carl...........jam 'tomorrow'.

Can you do better?Posted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

I'm getting absolutely p'd off with the weather this winter - I'm quite pessimistic  about getting the snow I really like i.e. lovely fluffy stuff with a temp of -5C, so now pinning my hopes on a barbecue summer with temps 25C+ and wall to wall blue skies.