Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted

Atlantic influence looks like coming back into play for the end of the week some uncertainties on the timings

Posted ImagePosted Image

Some snow showers in the east on Thursday

As all the makings of cold rain for the west with cold rain proceeded by snow for the east, with the battleground perhaps moving out to the North sea again. Hopefully not!

Posted

I hope this winter dies a horrible death come late Feb! It needs a good beating for what it's put us through, roll on spring! :-D

• Like 5

Posted

I hope this winter dies a horrible death come late Feb! It needs a good beating for what it's put us through, roll on spring! :-D

Reminds me of the Basil Fawlty sketch with the tree branch and his car.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Atlantic influence looks like coming back into play for the end of the week some uncertainties on the timings

Posted ImagePosted Image

Some snow showers in the east on Thursday

I must admit that I am quite bemused by the last part of the forecast as I don't see a clean win for the Atlantic come the weekend. More like fronts stalling over the UK with a mix of rain/sleet/snow (high ground most favoured).

Unless of course the models are about to drop and clanger tonight and go full throttle zonal on us again.

Posted

Or...... The easterly arrives Thursday, and is gone by Sat. A very short week!

Well it's coming guys, Easterly winds are on their way with colder and colder air spreading westwards into the uk from russia / scandinavia..the first wintry week of the winter is ours with ice, snow, frosts and increasing wind chill. Let's just enjoy it while it lasts. :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well the weather for the week ahead was very underwhelming. Atlantic back in full swing by next weekend so basically a 2 day easterly at best. Think frosty isn't going to be happy with that forecast.

Posted

That forecast was broadcast with about as much confidence as the models right now.I very much doubt that even mon night will be the same as that.Lots of swings yet be they up or down.But they will come

yes lots of swings and roundabouts but as seem to remember from being a child both those left me feeling very sick :(
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Welcome to the forum Dacyfo Posted Image  In John H's absence I will ask you to put your location in your avatar/signature as, if I don't, someone else will!

I generally lurk here as I am too chicken to post: you are braver than IPosted Image

Still hoping for some of the white stuff this week and am still positive: it certainly has been a rollercoaster model ride this week. I also think that the models, especially the GFS and ECM, are underestimating the block. It will be stronger and I would expect the slider lows to develop this week. However, I must declare my hand - I am a coldie!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Hi everybody. This is my first time posting so please don't be to critical of me. As a newbie i am reading this forum and trying to learn and improve my knowledge but the constant bickering and winding up by those who sit on opposite sides of the mild -cold spectrum is not only annoying and frustrating but also confusing for those like me who become members on here to learn. There's nothing wrong with a bit of banter but some take it way to far. I'm sorry that my first post has had a somewhat negative perspective on what is a brilliant forum from which so much can be learnt.

Hi folks. I have been wanting to say the exact same comment all morning but didn't know how to put it! Dacyfo put it brilliantly! Although this is a amazing forum it can be quite scary to comment sometimes for us newbies trying to grasp the ever difficult British weather. Please don't take any offence. x

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I know where you are coming from but how can you kill something that does not exist? We have had no weather worthy of winter at all. Just relentless October-November style rubbish. Roll on Spring for me as well.

• Like 1

Posted

The bbc app has light snow then heavy snow forecast in Swindon for an hour or two tonight later, not sure how accurate that is!!!

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Hi everybody. This is my first time posting so please don't be to critical of me. As a newbie i am reading this forum and trying to learn and improve my knowledge but the constant bickering and winding up by those who sit on opposite sides of the mild -cold spectrum is not only annoying and frustrating but also confusing for those like me who become members on here to learn. There's nothing wrong with a bit of banter but some take it way to far. I'm sorry that my first post has had a somewhat negative perspective on what is a brilliant forum from which so much can be learnt.

Welcome to the forum.I have learned a lot from this topic and thanks to the massively knowledgeable posters on here, I feel I can now read weather charts much better, although some of the more complex issues are still beyond me!I share your frustration at times though; I appreciate that people will have differing opinions, but the issue is with how some posters state things, usually regarding longer term matters. Take the following two statements:A ) "I have a feeling that February will be poor for cold and snow"B ) "Undoubtedly February will be poor for cold and snow"On the face of it, they look like virtually the same statement, but they are in fact quite different. Statement A is clearly an opinion, and the poster is saying so. It may not be very scientific, but it doesn't claim to be more than a "feeling".B however, is trying to dress up something as fact when it is clearly is based on opinion or is more likely just a windup. It is these second kind of posts that cause the problems in this forum. If you are going to state something like this, then back it up with charts and data please. Considering most of the time the models don't even agree at T120, you will need to produce something reasonably compelling!The above works both ways, for cold and mild preferences, but when you have a forum where the majority of members are biased towards cold, it's is inevitable that some will seek to stir the pot and it isn't hard to spot the posts that are almost dripping with glee when a milder option is picked by the models. Sadly these posts usually end with a statement like "B" above. This is when the arguments begin and get out of hand.Looking forward to the 12z runs today, I am not expecting much agreement, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Atlantic slowed down again, except on the GFS of course, which will no doubt press the "Azores High or SW winds" button at about T144! Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 4

Posted

Ian Fs tweet answers that, poss 2cm + in Wiltshire tonight...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

Waiting for wintry weather in winter 2013/14 is akin to having sex... It's a painstaking and arduous task that seems to go on and on forever, and just when you think things are going your way, nothing happens.

Frank Drebin, police squad!
  • Like 1

Posted

What's happend to Ian Brown? Thought he would be all over the current synopsis upsetting the coldies by telling them the cold spell will fail and we are then going to have bartlett set up tha will last for all eternity!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

What's happend to Ian Brown? Thought he would be all over the current synopsis upsetting the coldies by telling them the cold spell will fail and we are then going to have bartlett set up tha will last for all eternity!

Yes, I was wondering that too. Although there seem to be plenty of others doing his work for him!
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I tried to PM but it appears you've blocked me for sending PM's to you for some reason

Ian's account is no longer active on the forum, however he is on twitter

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

I tried to PM but it appears you've blocked me for sending PM's to you for some reasonIan's account is no longer active on the forum, however he is on twitter

so he has been a naughty boy then. Will unblock you when iam looking for warm in the summer,no offence meant, just am on the look out for cold during the winter months, mild dry weather doesn't float my boat this time of year that's all. Edited by JOPRO
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

so he has been a naughty boy then. Will unblock you when iam looking for warm in the summer,no offence.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

I know what's happened to him now!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

so he has been a naughty boy then. Will unblock you when iam looking for warm in the summer,no offence meant, just am on the look out for cold during the winter months, mild dry weather doesn't float my boat this time of year that's all.

Fair enough blocking my messages but I don't see what thats has to do with blocking me via the PM system Its not as If I've even PM'd you before

Edited by Summer Sun
I think it's known as a pre-emptive strike.
  • Like 2