Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

It seems the goalposts are being shifted once more in the MOD thread with early/mid Feb being the turning point, for all this "potential" we still don't appear to be getting any closer.

Too often people see what they want to see. As I said before, Snow is measured in inches, not potential.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I'm just curious how anyone could say the models have taken a step back from the predicted cold shown yesterday when yesterday the media forecasts were saying it might turn a little cooler next week and yet today and tonight, the majority of the models plus tv and radio media are saying it's going to become much colder with snow in places...in my book, it's giant leap forward in favour of an increasingly cold and wintry week ahead. This is just my own opinion, does anyone agree with me?

Yep....a lot better outlook than we had a week or two ago.

• Like 1

Posted

Any news on the fax charts... Sorry I can never really understand them and would have no idea what they might be saying in regards to what model(s) the professionals are leaning towards tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

I'm just curious how anyone could say the models have taken a step back from the predicted cold shown yesterday when yesterday the media forecasts were saying it might turn a little cooler next week and yet today and tonight, the majority of the models plus tv and radio media are saying it's going to become much colder with snow in places...in my book, it's giant leap forward in favour of an increasingly cold and wintry week ahead. This is just my own opinion, does anyone agree with me?

100 percent mateThe exciting thing about next week is that it's looking like it will be coldThat's the end of predictionsNobody knows at allNot met officeNot the modelsAnd nobody on hereThis I think is going to be a week of amazing short term upgrades :) and downgrades :(Surprise snowfall frost ice rain hail everything.You name it it will happenLike you say frosty this is the start of a very volatile wintry weekExciting times Edited by snowbob

Posted

yet again another phantom easterly apperaring in the charts about a week out leading us coldies down the garden path, only to be watered down again and again by the 3 big models when will we ever learnPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I think the doom is from the step back from the UKMO frosty. And now only a 24 hour Easterly and less cold Westerly after that. Not sure on today's meto thought as no comments from Ian F!!!

ExactlyThat's my point the models don't even knowThis is gonna go right down to the wireImo Edited by snowbob

Posted

Sorry, a tad off topic but to give an illustration of sun power already at the end of jan...In the latter stages of december the gap between sun and shade was approx 3.8c at 13:30pmYesterday it was 5.9c for the same time, indeed a noticeable increase now.

How is it misleading? The sun is stronger now than it is in December and those particular latter charts on the ECM looks more like a rain with perhaps transient snow on the hills regardless of the time of year, so surely saying its a complete snowfest for the Midlands northwards is more misleading than my statement but there we go.

Posted

How is it misleading? The sun is stronger now than it is in December and those particular latter charts on the ECM looks more like a rain with perhaps transient snow on the hills regardless of the time of year, so surely saying its a complete snowfest for the Midlands northwards is more misleading than my statement but there we go. 

The sun will have almost no real impact until after mid Feb. No issues for the next few weeks.

Even in late Feb its not particularly difficult to get laying snow and Ice days.

Hopefully my solar panels will help absorb some of that extra unwanted sunlight thereafter Posted Image

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 2

Posted

Quite depressing really. People like me would like to think the the likes of Steve Murr and Nick Sussex have a good idea of what's going on, but the truth is that they don't. It's going to rain for most of us.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite depressing really. People like me would like to think the the likes of Steve Murr and Nick Sussex have a good idea of what's going on, but the truth is that they don't. It's going to rain for most of us.

To be honest they do,Your point being ?They don't create the weather,They just interpret it far better than you and I would.Jeez Edited by snowbob
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

After a bottle of red ive had a thought....no, bare with me on this...

Model watching is like Schrödinger Cat.

If you put a chart at +144hrs in a sealed box, is it correct or incorrect?

The answer is (of course) it's both at the same time until the +144 hours is up and we open it to find out.

So, we're all right and wrong. Close down the forum, ive worked it out :)

• Like 2

Posted

To be honest they doYour point beingThey don't create the weatherThey just interpret it far better than you and I wouldJeez

pYour response is illeterate. Are you agreeing with me?

Posted

NS is usually pretty fair. he calls a spade a spade, most of the time. I enjoy his musings, esp when he goes off on one :)

• Like 1

Posted

For a start are youBecause the correct spelling is illiterate(Irony)
  • Like 5

Posted

Your response is illogical, if you wish to learn on how to read the models then following the likes of Steve Murr and Nick Sussex along with a few others will put you in good stead. Saying it will rain in the MOD thread, "no matter how many charts you post" isn't going to win you many friends or help you understand how to read the models. Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 5

Posted

NS is usually pretty fair. he calls a spade a spade, most of the time. I enjoy his musings, esp when he goes off on one Posted Image

Your response is illogical, if you wish to learn on how to read the models then following the likes of Steve Murr and Nick Sussex along with a few others will put you in good stead. Saying it will rain in the MOD thread, "no matter how many charts you post" isn't going to win you many friends or help you understand how to read the models.

I've never been a great one for friends. What I want is snow, and if Steve Murr can't deliver it then I reserve the right to be upset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I've never been a great one for friends. What I want is snow, and if Steve Murr can't deliver it then I reserve the right to be upset.

I think we can all assume that Coram is attempting some sort of subtle (but unsuccessful) humour here. . Can't we?? Surely??

• Like 3

Posted

I think we can all assume that Coram is attempting some sort of subtle (but unsuccessful) humour here. . Can't we?? Surely??

My attempt at humour may have failed, but your attempt at being dull has certainly succeeded.

Posted

My attempt at humour may have failed, but your attempt at being dull has certainly succeeded.

To be honest mateThere really isn't any need for that attitude on this site.This is a fantastic and very welcome place to post , but that sort of response is just going to get a lot of members backs up.There are a lot of members on here who like you want snow and there are some fantastic posters on here , who if you took the time to read there posts you could learn a great deal off.Point being just chill and don't snipe at people. Edited by snowbob
  • Like 2

Posted

To be honest mateThere really isn't any need for that attitude on this site.This is a fantastic and very welcome place to post , but that sort of response is just going to get a lot of members backs up.There are a lot of members on here who like you want snow and there are some fantastic posters on here , who if you took the time to read there posts you could learn a great deal off.Point being just chill and don't snipe at people.

Banter, Moans and Ramps. Don't take everything so seriously - it's just banter. Although I defend your right to moan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Somebody sent me several rather nasty PMs last year when I posted a few comments about being pessimistic about the prospects of snow last winter, seriously !

Although next week should be colder I'm not that optimistic about snow prospects.

RTE were forecasting the westerlies back by Friday and the latest long range charts would seem to agree.

Still, you never know. I could win the lottery Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Somebody sent me several rather nasty PMs last year when I posted a few comments about being pessimistic about the prospects of snow last winter, seriously !

Although next week should be colder I'm not that optimistic about snow prospects.

RTE were forecasting the westerlies back by Friday and the latest long range charts would seem to agree.

Still, you never know. I could win the lottery Posted Image

I'd like to send you some nasty PMs myself, but unfortunately I don't know what they are. In the meantime I would like to say that your pessimism is beginning to rankle. It's people like you that are ruining our winter.
  • Like 1