Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Winter 2013/14

phil nw.

Posted

Moan:  John Hammond earlier on BBC weather loving the fact that temps would recover! And would be on the rise again: now with all the flooding problems of late why would he be happy,KNOWING  a  rise in temperature would indicate MORE  heavy rain coming in off the atlantic???????????

not strictly true, it can be mild and dry if the azores high ridges over us, or we get a bartlett again

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

I've just about written this winter off.

So much so I've sat in sun drinking ice cold beers today with temps around 20'C....

Though I am in Lanzerote. :)

• Like 2

Posted

I've just about written this winter off.

So much so I've sat in sun drinking ice cold beers today with temps around 20'C....

Though I am in Lanzerote. Posted Image

This the moans and ramps thread, so unless you are moaning because you only have 20°C in a foreign country, you have posted in the wrong thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Done a quick animation based on recent charts...

post-11361-0-46702400-1390365299_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Have been a wathcher rather than a poster over last 3 years but this winter has been one which will be forgettable from a coldies perspective unless something quite dramatic happens relatively quickly(i.e Strat warming and a few other bits falling in right place for UK).One thing that has struck me and is probably too simplistic is that the PV over North America just hasn't moved and even sunk Southwards at times(like a couple weeks ago and now) since late November.As far as I can tell this has resulted in all systems moving off the Eastern Seaboard and firing the Jet which in turn has meant the UK having a very wet and relatively mild winter thus far.To me,if the PV had moved futher East this would have increased chances of Blocking over Greenland so what I deduce is that the PV is main driver of this winter's weather for UK.I am still learning so may have this completely weeble about face so it would be good to have feedback from the expert members like SM,CC,BA,,NS to see their thoughts.

Still hopeful of a colder spell in Feb but LRFs for Eastern US and Canada are frigid till early Feb at least so am starting to get worried we wont get even 1 cold spell for UK which vast majority on this forum and MOD forum would like.I hold onto views expressed by Tamara and am trying not to panic too much lol.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I don't even bother reading the MOD thread anymore because its become Groundhog Day in there. Every day its the same....we have Gibby's (well written and informative) summaries which contain the same words over and over..."rain"..." no signs of cold"...and a distinct lack of the word which would make my heart sing right now .."dry"....then we have the daily postings along the lines of "if a-z happens then we could get a cold spell in 10 days time"....trouble is we never get further than b and the whole thing collapses and we're back into rinse and repeat and the story starts anew the next day....if....but....maybe....10 days time....Plenty of winter yet....

Meanwhile the rain just keeps coming, the ground remains saturated, and another day goes by...the clock is ticking on this "winter".

Nope....lets just get real here....January has failed to deliver anything remotely resembling wintry...a couple of frosts aside....and can now be safely written off for low lying areas of England and Wales in terms of seeing lying snow.

And who's to say February will be any better? Just because that month might have delivered  cold weather in the past, does not mean a damn thing as to what will happen this year.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Decent cold spells and snow

I wonder, is Yoda now working for netweather forecasting team? Judging by the forecast headline I suspect so! Let's hope he can use the force to move some high pressure in a favourable position for the uk 😉

Edited by chiller

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I have never said something like this before but if snow and even frost is too hard to come by, a Bartlett does not sound like a bad idea. If it has to be mild then at least be dry. A February 2008 would go down a treat for a lot of flooded-out people I'm sure. Sunny and mild mixed with sunny and cold.

• Like 5

Posted

Mehh I don't care what anyone say's, all I can see is more bland 'brief' colder shots that downgrade to -3/-4 upper's at best with the amplification getting flattened out (e.g tomorrow) come the day, meanwhile across the pond what was meant to be a few flurries upgraded to a 10+ inches dumping out of nowhere Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Mehh I don't care what anyone say's, all I can see is more bland 'brief' colder shots that downgrade to -3/-4 upper's at best with the amplification getting flattened out (e.g tomorrow) come the day, meanwhile across the pond what was meant to be a few flurries upgraded to a 10+ inches dumping out of nowhere Posted Image

But....but....but....utopia is but 10 days away doncha know?......Never mind the fact that its been 10 days away since the start of December.....Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

So mid and eastern america get yet another massive dump of snow and frigid cold while we get absolutely nothing but boring rain and wind.  Just goes to show that whenever the east coast of the US gets real cold we have the total opposite.  Really sick and tired of this uneventful winter.  Can't wait for summer now.

I wonder what the odds are on having been missing northern blocking affecting us so far this winter, come summer we will see a big fat Greenland high lodge itself in place, deflecting the jet stream south over us ala 2012. Patterns have a tendency to balance out... pessimistic maybe but would be just typical, just typical wouldn't it!

• Like 2

Posted

I wonder what the odds are on having been missing northern blocking affecting us so far this winter, come summer we will see a big fat Greenland high lodge itself in place, deflecting the jet stream south over us ala 2012. Patterns have a tendency to balance out... pessimistic maybe but would be just typical, just typical wouldn't it!

then come october the greenland high will suddenly disappear and the PV will fire up again with the azores high waking up ready to pounce, then when we are in rampant zonal or under a bartlett we will hear the same old lines throughout the following months, "its only november winter hasn't started yet, it's only december plenty of winter left, it's only january we still have February stop moaning" gets to mid feb and still no snow, "we can still see snow in march like last year" 

joking aside although i am not a part of the blind faith brigade, i will not panic and get too down unless we are still in the same situation come early to mid feb and we are still seeing jam tomorrow charts on the models

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Even in the crap winter of 2007/2008, we got snow..

Posted Image
19th February 2008 by Gembledine, on Flickr

Heck, even in January, which was very mild and very wet, we had a covering of snow!

Posted Image
James Graham in Snow by Keith Ritchie, on Flickr

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

i really can't remember a winter as bad as this one for years, in terms of lack of frost and snow.  Even 2006, which was a relatively mild winter had a couple of snow days.  Yes, we could have snow in March and April, but for me, that is too late and all we end up with is a slushy mess which lasts a few hours if at all... and that's if we're lucky to get any at all.  Why can't this country get cold and snow in the months when it is meant to snow (December to February).  come the summer it will be cool and damp too i have no doubt. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
Its lovely ,happy ,but haven't you read the thread.....the Atlantic will without doubt crush our cold and all our cold hopes with it.Wish i could post a wink on my phone.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I am sick to death of the posts in the output thread which contradict any person who,in the middle of winter dare to even look for cold and snow.Argghhhh there that's better

• Like 1

Posted

then come october the greenland high will suddenly disappear and the PV will fire up again with the azores high waking up ready to pounce, then when we are in rampant zonal or under a bartlett we will hear the same old lines throughout the following months, "its only november winter hasn't started yet, it's only december plenty of winter left, it's only january we still have February stop moaning" gets to mid feb and still no snow, "we can still see snow in march like last year" 

joking aside although i am not a part of the blind faith brigade, i will not panic and get too down unless we are still in the same situation come early to mid feb and we are still seeing jam tomorrow charts on the models

Here's a couple of more irritating things you hear....

"Its not been a mild winter"....erm +2.4c above average January (so far) following an above average December! Good job its not mild then eh?

"Saving on heating bills"....hmmm losing money on replacing ridge tiles...repairing roof leaks from the insane rainy spells...replacing damaged fence panels...so sort of cancels that one out.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Played golf today in a t shirt. Honestly, I have been colder in May!! Don't mind lack of cold but really feed up with rain most days. Also I have spent £640 on replacing my fence in the garden. Trampoline ended up in the next doors garden a couple of weeks ago. Just got it back, the ninety year old who lives next door, took a shine to it.