Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 4th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Thanks Ian, It's worth keeping an eye out for now... Albeit FI, but cannot be ignored.

Hmmm... well, it's actually a genesis starting circa T+96 so very much a consideration (even if lower prob) in our here-and-now MR deliberations, rather than this undefined, elasticised 'FI' phraseology (a meaningless term... I never use it)
  • Like 4

Posted

Well that would bring life to a stop lol

Current modified UKMO-GM fields don't buy it (thankfully) but they were just issued & prepared probably prior to 18z GFS, but I'll find out shortly.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS Op run has been much colder than the ensemble mean in FI all day and the 18z maintains that trend. (NW England)

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=235&y=40&run=18&runpara=0&type=3&ext=1

And ECM London ensembles, the mean starting to come down at last in FI but obviously no cold signal.

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Looking through the ensembles the 18z op something of an outlier, question being will the pub run op be leading the ensemble pack or is something like the mean more realistic.

The control run is also up to Christmas craziness here and delivers the PV for Xmas.

post-7292-0-11327500-1386979296_thumb.gipost-7292-0-23059700-1386979316_thumb.pn

• Like 6

There's a lot of energy heading our way and predicting exactly where storms will from, depth, track etc going to be hard, high entropy situation I guess, certainly potential for some nasty weather, that jetstream is raging.

Just noticed Meteociel have released high-res GFS charts for all the UK now, could just get the southern half before. Awesomeee

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/precipitations-hd/3h.htm

Posted Image   Posted Image

18z run seems to be incomplete ATM though.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The GFS 18hrs run develops a hideous looking low pressure,  with this type of set up these rapid developments off the main trough are possible. It interestingly makes less of low heights to the ne so perhaps a small shift there to the UKMO.

That low looks lovely, not hideous! After so much boring weather here over the last year or so, the thought of something like that makes the prospect of no snow in the immediate outlook seem less of an issue.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

That low looks lovely, not hideous! After so much boring weather here over the last year or so, the thought of something like that makes the prospect of no snow in the immediate outlook seem less of an issue.

I see what you're saying. The graphics look stunning and like you say, it would be a nice change in the weather but I'm not sure the effects that low would cause would be as stunning

Posted

Ye Gods. Someone make it go away. Or aim it at the Aussie batting line up. Hopefully neither will be there in the morning.

G'night.

• Like 2

Posted

Each to their own, I've never understood the fascination with storms.Personally I like boring if it means not getting my roof blown off and having electricity! Whatever the phobia is I have one against thunderstorms and storms, I've had two dreadful storms down here since I re-located, the worst 5 days without power, carnage everywhere, the mind numbing boredom of no electricity in the middle of winter. As for thunderstorms that's a strange one, they can look very eerie especially if the lightning happens over the Pyrenees, with those I generally get a strange feeling in my stomach, become very agitated and go all weird or lets say weirder!

Anyway enough about my noelectricty phobia! Although its the GFS I wouldn't rule out one of these situations, the ensembles aren't really behind the operational run but the lower resolution might be an issue with them.

I'm more interested in seeing whether the UK can avoid an underwhelming mild Xmas, not much support for the UKMO at T144hrs, we'll see if that changes tomorrow or whether it was a one off rogue run from the UKMO.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Certainly has not been boring everywhere. The worry and stress caused by last weeks storm is one such example and why out of all the extreme weather events the UK occasionally gets. Storms of the windy variety are my pet hate. Oddly the sunny and calm conditions seen for most of the week down here has been pretty nice, could have been colder and crisp but I could not complain really.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Certainly has not been boring everywhere. The worry and stress caused by last weeks storm is one such example and why out of all the extreme weather events the UK occasionally gets. Storms of the windy variety are my pet hate. Oddly the sunny and calm conditions seen for most of the week down here has been pretty nice, could have been colder and crisp but I could not complain really.

wiv u man!

• Like 1

Posted

Each to their own, I've never understood the fascination with storms.Personally I like boring if it means not getting my roof blown off and having electricity! Whatever the phobia is I have one against thunderstorms and storms, I've had two dreadful storms down here since I re-located, the worst 5 days without power, carnage everywhere, the mind numbing boredom of no electricity in the middle of winter. As for thunderstorms that's a strange one, they can look very eerie especially if the lightning happens over the Pyrenees, with those I generally get a strange feeling in my stomach, become very agitated and go all weird or lets say weirder!

Anyway enough about my noelectricty phobia! Although its the GFS I wouldn't rule out one of these situations, the ensembles aren't really behind the operational run but the lower resolution might be an issue with them.

I'm more interested in seeing whether the UK can avoid an underwhelming mild Xmas, not much support for the UKMO at T144hrs, we'll see if that changes tomorrow or whether it was a one off rogue run from the UKMO.

I'm an extreme weather lover Nick. The adrenaline when something like that hits is through the roof for me. Some people like fast cars, some people like rollercoasters etc to get their thrills. As you say, each to their own :p

• Like 4

Posted

I'm an extreme weather lover Nick. The adrenaline when something like that hits is through the roof for me. Some people like fast cars, some people like rollercoasters etc to get their thrills. As you say, each to their own Posted Image

You should sign up for a NW trip to the USA and go storm chasing, that should keep you happy! It might be different stormwise for people living in cities, out here in the country you don't need much to see that awful flickering of the lights!

• Like 3

Posted

You should sign up for a NW trip to the USA and go storm chasing, that should keep you happy! It might be different stormwise for people living in cities, out here in the country you don't need much to see that awful flickering of the lights!

If I could afford it, I would! Not even had a normal holiday in 5+ years let alone a storm chase :p.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

00z looks rather blowy middle to back end of next week, although I think it's backed of a little from the extreme solution it offered last night, into FI there are still trends to drop the vortex down over the North Atlantic and towards us. I would have thought that at the very least the northern half of the uk would stand a chance of a white Christmas period.

Re UKMO well it looks different to the gfs at 144 with that Lobe of the vortex making less progress towards scandi, I think that is a good thing, but I'm not really sure if it has maintained the trend it offered last night, I will wait for one of the experts to advise on that.

Edited by TSNWK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

00z looks rather blowy middle to back end of next week, although I think it's backed of a little from the extreme solution it offered last night, into FI there are still trends to drop the vortex down over the North Atlantic and towards us. I would have thought that at the very least the northern half of the uk would stand a chance of a white Christmas period.Re UKMO well it looks different to the gfs at 144 with that Lobe of the vortex making less progress towards scandi, I think that is a good thing, but I'm not really sure if it has maintained the trend if offered last night, I will wait for one of the experts to advise on that.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/3467/ECM4-120_zfb6.GIFCertainly needs watching. Time for it to change and many, most not on here, will hope it does.

Posted

Not for the first time, the GFS ensembles show a cooling off of upper air towards and post Christmas...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

The op is largely with the mean - a number of cooler options as well...

• Like 3

Posted

Not for the first time, the GFS ensembles show a cooling off of upper air towards and post Christmas...http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.pngThe op is largely with the mean - a number of cooler options as well...

Some nice precip spikes for 25th too there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

ECW Monster storm for Wednesday

post-12721-0-39762100-1387005040_thumb.jI presume you mean the ECM, and it doesn't look that bad at all on Wednesday??
  • Like 3