Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 4th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

yes there has.  winters of 1948/9 and 1962/3 not forgetting the 'little ice age' between the 1600's and 1800's.  so it is possible to having locking patterns even in the UK.

I'll take another little ice age please.

Thanks for the info, maybe after the 10,000th time of saying we will be locked in for months on end they maybe right and will be able to say told you so hehePosted Image

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 4

Posted

I wonder whether the nudging of the Arctic High South Eastwards on the UKMO @ 144 is something to hang onto (from a coldie perspective)

Be interesting to see if it's still there shortly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

As long as the PV is as strong as this over Greenland/Canada, our chances of any sustained cold are poor.  Similar NH profile is shown at this timeframe for both the GFS and ECM.  No sight of any sustained cold for the next couple of weeks at least, I can say with a degree of certainty.  Only crumb of comfort is height rises to the NE towards the end of this period, but even then we're pushing our luck with that strong PV.

Hoping for change after this period though :) 

Posted Image

Posted

The GFS is a little less progressive at T+120hrs, meaning most of us should get away with a dry Saturday now, albeit mild and increasingly windy across the north and west.

Posted Image

Edited by Paul
Stop point scoring, it's tedious...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow

Actually this isn't correct - the metar report from Glasgow airport was showing 14c at both 11:00 and 12:00 today.

But anyway, can we use this thread to discuss the models please. 

Paul, I agree with this but I did clearly state it was the met office observation from Glasgow/Bishopton where I had taken my information from. The point is it wasn't going to go up to 15c at all, it had already started to come down. At 12.50 it was 14c at 13.20 it was 12c. At 13.08 Shed said 15c was highly likely when in fact the temperature was already falling.

As I mentioned on my post why the need for exaggeration?

Too many people that clearly just want to wind other members up or bang the same drum time and time again. Next time I shall use the report button as requested.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Any hope of the mighty vortex being stalled a tad are swept away with the UKMO 12z

Posted Image

Mild and zonal as hell. Posted Image

NH view just underlines the fact

Posted Image

GFS 12z coma inducingly mild

Posted Image

Not bad for the Scottish hills etc

Posted Image

Hopeless for the rest of us and the poor European Ski resorts.

• Like 3

Posted

Ooh, I off to change my trousers! Lower energy bills thats for sure.

Any hope of the mighty vortex being stalled a tad are swept away with the UKMO 12z

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Posted Image

Yep, mild North-westerlies...

• Like 8

Posted

Could you please stop calling the polar vortex the mighty vortex? We'll have a whole new generation of young forecasters thinking it's actually called that! 

That also doesn't look mild, it looks quite chilly really and could delivery various forms of wintry precipitation.

This PV is pretty mighty and going to take a hell of a lot of shifting.

• Like 2

Posted

Hi paul, my passion is genuine for the upcoming weather type, it can be hard posting when im in my meteorlogical heaven and there is a room full of coldies. It's like when Leeds utd fans meet Milwall fans :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

nothing unusual with those charts at this time of year infact it could be a lot worse with lows spinning at 935mb

Posted

yes there has.  winters of 1948/9 and 1962/3 not forgetting the 'little ice age' between the 1600's and 1800's.  so it is possible to having locking patterns even in the UK.

wrong winter there, it was 1947 not 1948-49

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Near average Temps bar perhaps the far South IMHO, in fact well above average for folk in the South of France and in Spain to name two areas but not many netweather members live there. However as you correctly suggest, a slightly more zonal of the raging type scenario now showing up increasingly within the outputs and soon into the reliable to boot. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

This PV is pretty mighty and going to take a hell of a lot of shifting.

And as it has been stated by my understanding of the NWP outputs, we can get still achieve some POLAR influence if things fall right in spite of the current Northern Hemispheric pattern. To correlate with your viewpoint, I do agree it would be very unlikely for anything by way of prolonged cold to develop this side of Christmas. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Could you please stop calling the polar vortex the mighty vortex? We'll have a whole new generation of young forecasters thinking it's actually called that! 

That also doesn't look mild, it looks quite chilly really and could delivery various forms of wintry precipitation.

Well if that ain't a mighty one I don't know what is!

Posted Image

And don't worry, if you read my post I did say the synoptics would be OK (meaning wintry) for the Scottish hills - have a wee dram and chill...Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Models have become more interesting again after the very boring weekend of model watching. Hopefully ECM last night has found a new trend, ENS were most interesting they have been for a while last night too, looking forward to what todays 12z run delivers. Hopefully the v cold air in the US can help dive the jet further south Posted Image

Edited by bradythemole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well if that ain't a mighty one I don't know what is!

Posted Image

And don't worry, if you read my post I did say the synoptics would be OK (meaning wintry) for the Scottish hills - have a wee dram and chill...Posted Image

There'll be drams when the snow's in Purga! Posted Image (there used to be a whisky emoticon, not sure where it went!) 

In saying that, I've seen far more aggressive looking polar vortexes in my relatively short time on this planet. Weak heights at the pole and relatively strong heights riding into Scandinavia / the Baltics isn't too shabby for the time of year Posted Image

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2013121012/UN144-21.GIF?10-17 looking at the NH plot the change is underway on the UKMO 12z. Cold from day 6 on the euro tonight with high pressure ridging North/ NE this time as opposed to east last week.

Hello Steve, from a fellow north west Kenter.. Interesting remarks above, can't see it myself would you mind eleborating a little on the above on how you might think it could pan out from day 6Cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The models are struggling to handle the Vortex and Euro/Atlantic slug interaction. Difficult to know where the jet will run SW to NE. The south may escape with much less unsettled weather. The pressure charts sum up that variance:

post-14819-0-60545700-1386698216_thumb.g

Dont see any change as to the long wave pattern; just how far south the zonal muck drifts. For instance, the Control run from GFS has the south under higher pressure influence from around T240: post-14819-0-57783100-1386698396_thumb.p

To the end of FI: post-14819-0-02718300-1386698437_thumb.p   Which is fine by me.

Looking at the T384 stamps for the GEFS, half have the south under more settled and the other half more disturbed (similar at T240). The spread sums it up: 

post-14819-0-24165500-1386698640_thumb.p

Only 2 had a HLB (Scandi). So whilst looking for better ens its really battleground UK as to what level of rainfall we get and what locale. No real cold anywhere.

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2013121012/UN144-21.GIF?10-17

looking at the NH plot the change is underway on the UKMO 12z.

Cold from day 6 on the euro tonight with high pressure ridging North/ NE this time as opposed to east last week.

That would be very transient as the next LP flattened any ridging.

• Like 1