Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 4th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

i know this is way into FI but I presume it would be extremely windy if this was to happen? Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

i know this is way into FI but I presume it would be extremely windy if this was to happen? Posted Image

Very windy indeed. In fact widespread wintry showers would not be out of the question even in the south - perhaps a Christmas period similar to 1999. Damage aside, I would be impressed if that came off!

Posted

Very windy indeed. Especially Northern England and the West... Not to mention Scotland, 945-965mb... Eesh... Windy Xmas.

Chance of verification... -5% - 0%

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Blow your socks off on Christmas day

Posted Image

At least it's something exciting if we an't have any cold!

Posted

Posted Image

IF it came off (and at T+384hrs it's a massive IF) it would certainly feel cold in that Pm flow...especially across the N.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Look at the extent of that High Pressure system to our south. it's HUGE

from the middle of the Atlantic right the way through Russia and beyond in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE !!

I can't see a way out of that set up this side of 2013.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Posted Image

Two weeks away though, chances of happening are near to zero. However, if it did happen, the set up would only need a slight nudge east for it to introduce some really rather cold, snowy weather from the NW / N accompanied by some severe gales, exciting as you put in Purga indeed!

Posted

from the middle of the Atlantic right the way through Russia and beyond in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE !!

Posted Image

Southern Hemisphere? That image looks like it does't even go as far as the northern hemisphere tropics!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Southern Hemisphere? That image looks like it does't even go as far as the northern hemisphere tropics!

Yeah you are indeed correct

But you get the idea, it certainly looks like it's running into or close to the equatorial regions of the Northern Hemisphere so not a million miles from spilling over into the S.Hemisphere.

Which is impressive no matter how pinikity one wants to be about it

• Like 2

Posted

Well, let's await the next EC32 update later / Tues and see where it sits versus the last one. It showed major step-change to mild from the two issues last week... whether it does a similar turnaround tomorrow is another matter. Will advise...

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

As Forrest Gump's momma used to say, the gfs is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you're gonna getPosted Image

Now this is true because we couldn't have two such different runs following each other from any other model, sometimes the gfs appears to be stupid is as stupid does...however, I much prefer the latest 6z run because the 00z would have put most of us into a deep sleep. This is a much more mobile run with mild and colder airmasses alternating, some very windy and rainy spells and clearer, colder and showery days with sleet and snow, especially across the hills of the north and occasional frosts, the PFJ digs further south and at least it's an action packed run...whether it's right or not is an entirely different matter but I hope it is.

In summary, the gfs shows this week being rather cool and mainly fair apart from the western and northern extremities of the uk where it will be milder and windier with a sw'ly flow with outbreaks of rain and drizzle.

If I wanted to watch a comedy, I would watch the joke of an ashes series with england's useless cricketers.Posted Image

post-4783-0-74960500-1386590472_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-75935100-1386590488_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-01313000-1386590503_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

Very windy indeed. Especially Northern England and the West... Not to mention Scotland, 945-965mb... Eesh... Windy Xmas.

Chance of verification... -5% - 0%

Certainly not the first time something of this nature has shown up on GFS for the Day itself.   Look at a post i Made about 4 or 5 days ago about Snow Hurricane, I said 0% chance of verifying, but now this pops up, seems interesting to say the least, something is brewing, just seems kind of nice that it may bring wintry weather around 25th although it is potentially stormy as well.  Thunder Snow maybe?

Posted

Posted Image

Doesn't everything inside though just scream 'all a bit odd and not quite right?'

Posted

Certainly not the first time something of this nature has shown up on GFS for the Day itself.   Look at a post i Made about 4 or 5 days ago about Snow Hurricane, I said 0% chance of verifying, but now this pops up, seems interesting to say the least, something is brewing, just seems kind of nice that it may bring wintry weather around 25th although it is potentially stormy as well.  Thunder Snow maybe?

Indeed, first tentative signs of something interesting. By the end of the week/into next week could be some eye candy to look at...

Posted

I certainly hope so, that would be a blessing. Thundersnow, Blizzards, tretcherous driving conditions = I dont have to visit anyone over the Christmas period. Bah Humbug.

• Like 1

Posted

Two weeks away though, chances of happening are near to zero. However, if it did happen, the set up would only need a slight nudge east for it to introduce some really rather cold, snowy weather from the NW / N accompanied by some severe gales, exciting as you put in Purga indeed!

Real Macbeth weather for your neck of the woods Rab! Posted Image

PS: Was in Cawdor last year - lovely part of the world Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

A couple of colder options creeping in... I'll have the green one!http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

There's one thing about it, that big mild hump which was showing yesterday (with tight clustering) seems to have been significantly shortened. Unusual when you're staring down the barrel of a prolonged mild spell. It's suggestive of perhaps a slight pattern change starting to be picked up?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

My feeling is that there may well be some sort of pattern change from the rather benign weather we will endure over the next week or so.

I see the GFS has thrown up a stormy festive period......im probably wrong here,but i feel that the Xmas to New Year period often throws up an acive spell of weather.Ive a gut feeling that there will be some very stormy weather centering around this period and as we enter 2014.

Posted

Some of the GEM ensembles are interesting. There is a signal for some HLB in there. Its muted, but nonetheless deep in FI there do appear to be other options at least on the table.

Jason

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ECM Control for the 0z screams HP close to the S/SE:

post-14819-0-87751200-1386594273_thumb.gpost-14819-0-72802900-1386594282_thumb.g

Dry and cold. In fact the ens are now tending colder suggesting HP may re-establish after the attempted incursion by the Atlantic.

The 06z GFS Op is as daft as it looks being a total nut job on the pressure charts compared to its ens. No support at all:

post-14819-0-37250300-1386594421_thumb.g

The mean at T240: post-14819-0-79545100-1386594468_thumb.p T384: post-14819-0-66839400-1386594481_thumb.p

Show the continued outlook remains a strong Euro/Russian HP dominating close to the South of the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 06z perturbations generally keep the love affair with high pressure but one or two have switched to something more wintry, hoping the gefs starts to show a lot more unsettled and colder runs in the run up to christmas, the mean is currently trending more unsettled towards xmas so that's a start.Posted Image

post-4783-0-69908900-1386596464_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-04887300-1386596472_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-58266300-1386596479_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

Ah well amidst all the gloom this would do to cheer up Christmas Eve

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 6

Posted

Ah well amidst all the gloom this would do to cheer up Christmas Eve

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Beautiful if only -16 uppers clipping the east coast -12 nicely settled in where is it where i fell out of my bed Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

GFS in chucking us a random superstorm shocker

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3