Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 4th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

But those EC32 chop and change far too frequently to have any sort of confidence in them, granted you can only post what the models show but these show something different every week.

Ah, the swings; the about-turns... the joys of NWP; and for that matter, the poisoned chalice of trying to offer even a probabilistic approach to a 4-week period!However: EC32 runs Fri and again today paint a pretty consistent story. Equally, DECIDER was already bullishly on the (broadly) SWrly bandwagon into the forseeable. The issue was degree of cyclonic v anticyclonic v unbiased re this. But we can, as I said in previous post, only "tell it as it is."PS - yellow fog warning about to be issued for tonight; areas broadly E of a line joining Wash to New Forest.
  • Like 7

Posted

But those EC32 chop and change far too frequently to have any sort of confidence in them, granted you can only post what the models show but these show something different every week.

...and the daily ones show something different every run for the low-res sections - it can only be a guide at an even longer time span - maybe more use if there is support from sources we have no access to.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Purga do you realise than an Easterly for the UK is just a distorted zonal flow to the North of the UK...? Theres next to zero chance of a Greenland block in the next 12-15 days but to rule out any cold is wrong- just look at the CFS at day 9 & 10. S

perhaps It's a fault of our own here. Many are obsessed with heights to Greenland, without knowledge or know for repercussions NE/N,. As once again although model out, is at present in stability regards semi,zonal flow,there are ample chance for switch.only variables need alignment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Purga do you realise than an Easterly for the UK is just a distorted zonal flow to the North of the UK...?

Theres next to zero chance of a Greenland block in the next 12-15 days but to rule out any cold is wrong- just look at the CFS at day 9 & 10.

S

I really, really hope you're right Steve and would love to see an easterly 'spring up' as has indeed happened in the past very rarely. I just feel that what I can see and perceive from good knowledgeable contributors here and elsewhere puts the odds at such a surprise very low. I do love your analyses and insights by the way, just have a pessimistic viewpoint at the moment. Believe you me, I will ramp like crazy when I think some real cold prospects are looking more likely.Posted Image

Edited by Purga
  • Like 3

Posted

Ah, the swings; the about-turns... the joys of NWP; and for that matter, the poisoned chalice of trying to offer even a probabilistic approach to a 4-week period!However: EC32 runs Fri and again today paint a pretty consistent story. Equally, DECIDER was already bullishly on the (broadly) SWrly bandwagon into the forseeable. The issue was degree of cyclonic v anticyclonic v unbiased re this. But we can, as I said in previous post, only "tell it as it is."PS - yellow fog warning about to be issued for tonight; areas broadly E of a line joining Wash to New Forest.

Thanks for the reply as it isn't a dig at your good self or Matt and I did emphasise myself that you can only comment on what it's output is showing. Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Despite wishful thinking the models have high confidence in the current long wave pattern.

Week 2 from NOAA: post-14819-0-17604700-1386710582_thumb.g

Pretty much what all the models are showing synoptically. The experts advise "above average confidence" "4 out of 5".

Looking at the ECM mean, verification >40% better than the OP: at T240,  post-14819-0-01933000-1386710700_thumb.g

Similar signal.

The return of the anomalous ridge in the N.Pacific/Bering (NP) area looks hopeful for the final third of December so further amplification to the US is expected (more snow & cold for them Christmas) and maybe a better downstream Atlantic ridge will give us a taste of Winter in the last week of December. Also with a strong Russian High ® and most of the PV over Greenland, there are possibilities that there will be a split flow in the NP-R regions. Not sure this is sustainable at the moment but it may bring some transient cold, if we are not again on the wrong side of the block.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Cfs v2 xmas day. Beautiful.

Posted Image

Obviously 15 days out, So far from nailed on, But cfs has been showing some cold options starting around 17th Dec for the past couple of weeks. 

I really cannot understand how we can get to that from where we are at the mo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Blowtorch Christmas?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Probably much more likely than the CFS freeze up . Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2013121012/UN144-21.GIF?10-17

looking at the NH plot the change is underway on the UKMO 12z.

Cold from day 6 on the euro tonight with high pressure ridging North/ NE this time as opposed to east last week.

Good call this, obvious @240 on ECM (bear in mind the ECM isn't out while the above post was made).

I've only read this thread to 17:10 and checked ecm, gfs... might pause for a moment and check the strat thread ... just a feeling that the game might be afoot.

Edited by Skyraker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think there will be some polar maritime incursions before and during christmas so snow can't be ruled out, snow on northern hills at the very least and occasional frosts. This is the way I see the models trending today, hoping the 00z runs continue the same way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Well if that ain't a mighty one I don't know what is!

Posted Image

And don't worry, if you read my post I did say the synoptics would be OK (meaning wintry) for the Scottish hills - have a wee dram and chill...Posted Image

2011/12 took some beating. I'd say that was a proper Polar Vortex, more so than this one we have now.

Posted

Interesting GEFS Control in F1 in terms of developing scandi high and look at the cold pool.

post-9179-0-48766900-1386719911_thumb.pnpost-9179-0-61894900-1386719920_thumb.pn

Illustrates how we can get to this to this point as well - not sure why people saying they cannot see how it can happen when I thought SM had explained how quite eloquently. V. low chance of course but we are looking for signs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Interesting GEFS Control in F1 in terms of developing scandi high and look at the cold pool.

Posted Imagegensnh-0-1-384.pngPosted Imagegensnh-0-0-384.png

Illustrates how we can get to this to this point as well - not sure why people saying they cannot see how it can happen when I thought SM had explained how quite eloquently. V. low chance of course but we are looking for signs.

Im sure you mean Fi/FL (Fantasy island/Land) Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Well, if rain and gales are your thing, you'll love the GFS this morning. Low after Low barrelling towards us for the entire run. Big Russian High eventually sets up in deep FI but too far away to have any influence on us.

Still hope that it's not going to be as straightforward as that though!

post-4908-0-84018800-1386742820_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well gfs this morning is awful heavy rain and gales for the entire run. Don't like the noises been made from the professionals at the met either at the moment. Think I'm already considering writing off this winter. Because looking at the models and long term signals it's not looking or sounding good. Anyway will come back after Xmas and see if any signs have changed. So happy Xmas to you all and happy new year. Hope everyone has a great Xmas.