Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 4th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Any news on the NAEFS? Hasn't updated since Tuesday.

You can view it on wetter under 'ens'. Its the 40 member option. The anomolys on wz are more sensitive than meteociel so be a little careful.
  • Like 1

Posted

Synoptically the GFS 18hrs run is trending towards the ECM at 168hrs, the polar profile and upstream across the USA and Canada however not enough of a dig south of energy into the mid Atlantic.with less amplification.

This really is the main sticking point going forward, that PV to the west needs to be as elongated as possible. Not bad from the GFS 18hrs run but its still a long haul to get enough amplification upstream.

I think for the timebeing a surface feed from the continent still looks the most likely outcome, it would need a large westwards correction aswell as a stretched and negatively tilted troughing set up to the west to give a chance of something more wintry.

We'll see in the morning whether theres any movement in the models.

• Like 6

Posted

You can view it on wetter under 'ens'. Its the 40 member option. The anomolys on wz are more sensitive than meteociel so be a little careful.

Nice one BA.Posted Image

Wetter : Wetterzentrale : Top Karten : Prognose - Ensemble Europa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM London ensembles not overly exciting but better than this mornings with a few cold options toward the end.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

**** Posted Image Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

So when's the 'zonal train' arriving? oh, it's been put back yet again i see, right... Posted Image

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted

Just a quick question for experienced people here. With cold air filtering into ne UK what impact could this have? As I seem to remember that when cold air filtersinto place it is hard to get rid of so could this help the building Of high pressure to our ne??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Absolute Monster.  I would imagine extremely dangerous SNOW HURRICANE OBLITERATES THE UK and IRELAND Chances of actually happening? 0%

GFS did show todays storm 2 weeks ago, just saying. Normally you would be right, it's fl and too strong like most fl GFS storms.

Posted

GFS did show todays storm 2 weeks ago, just saying. Normally you would be right, it's fl and too strong like most fl GFS storms.

I agree, but if it was even a quarter of what is shown it would still be severe

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/49348-the-severe-winter-of-1928-29-a-special-report-with-times-articles/

I wonder if we will get a repeat of this winter similarities to how that winter began in December with the northerly followed by a high to the east

Posted

So when's the 'zonal train' arriving? oh, it's been put back yet again i see, right... Posted Image

loving this, one can but dream tho

Posted Image

Edited by phil nw.
removed ot remark
  • Like 3

Posted

00z GFS pretty much the same. Attempts made to ridge into scandi, but then sucked backed into the euro high. Low res is poor for coldies.

00z metoffice looks poor to me for coldies,limpet high just to east,south east. Maybe a little downstream interest with heights a little higher north of Iceland and a negative tilt to a low presure south of Greenland.

00z ECM bit like GFS in my view, has a go at attempting to ridge into scandi, but then drops back into Europe. 240 chart looks poor going forward, with vortex pumping away over Greenland.

Basically we are kinda of in a up and down barlett situation, instead of the text book left to right barlett.

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 2

Posted

With ref to steve's post last night, i'm looking sw because i dont see a let up in the vortex energy headed from Canada to siberia. That means a 'sausage' type high needed just to our north and an undercut to advect the cold west. Having said that, the ecm this morning was headed gingerly in steve's direction until the atlantic didnt dig enough jet energy southeast and the flow went ne across the top of the block.

Ukmo carving out a fairly deep atlantic trough by day 6.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

P19 (GEFS 18z) would bring us a white christmas, the other is a brief N'ly toppler but with perhaps a reload further on. Otherwise, the 18z ensembles are not worth talking about, either anticyclonic or flat atlantic zonal.

post-4783-0-51517000-1386315711_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-41205400-1386315719_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Personally I think we are starting to see some small baby steps from the models in the mid range (ECM, UKMO) to a more favourable situation for the second half of the month.

At the moment too much energy is going into the northern arm of the Jet, but slowly some models are transferring this energy into the southern arm.

Hopefully the 12zs will continue with this theme later on.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

P19 (GEFS 00z) would bring us a white christmas, the other is a brief N'ly toppler but with perhaps a reload further on. Otherwise, the 00z ensembles are not worth talking about, either anticyclonic or flat atlantic zonal.

correction, that was the flippin 18zPosted Image

• Like 3