Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Storm System & Arctic Blast Thursday 5th Onwards

Summer Sun

Posted
I’M LEARNING TO WEATHER STORM

WELL, we survived The Great Storm, or whatever we want to call it when telling our children in years to come.

The thing is, yes, it was windier than normal and there was some damage. In some parts of the country things were even worse, and people had to be evacuated from their homes – but according to some sources it’s going to happen again before Christmas, and will no doubt happen a couple of times next year too. So if this is the Great Storm, what will we call the one coming in the next week or two? Great Storm 2.0? Mega Storm?

Was last week’s weather worse, or the same as, or not quite as bad as, The Great Storm of 1987, when weatherman Michael Fish laughed at predictions of damaging high winds which subsequently tore lumps off the country? If the gravity of a storm were to measured in media coverage, the 1987 episode would win hands down. There was no internet and social media back then, and yet we still talk about it, and use it to measure all subsequent windy days.

I know there are meteorologist types who like to measure weather in more scientific ways, but each to their own. More recent storms were caught on more cameras, were beamed live from more eejits’ smartphones than was even dreamt possible back in the 1980s, but the fact that 1987 still gets a mention even now must mean it was pretty bloomin’ big. Back then, as a teenager , I didn’t pay too much attention to the weather and don’t remember much happening. My husband, who is from “the southâ€, recalls huge damage to trees and buildings, and can still show me bits of New Forest that don’t look much like forest at all any more thanks to the storm.

But back then I wasn’t a homeowner, so things are a bit different now, and the slightest hint of bad weather and panic sets in. Is the roof up to it? Should we have replaced that old window? How solid is our 1950s garage, really? This is not helped by the fact that I can now access countless weather websites and apps 24 hours a day on my mobile. It’s a bit like diagnosing an illness by Google – you know you shouldn’t, you’re only going to scare yourself but you do it anyway. Of course this is something that wasn’t possible back in 1987 – and probably for the best.

Having plucked up the courage to finally assess the damage from this year’s storm/hurricane/gusts I was pleasantly surprised – firstly by the low levels of damage and secondly by how relaxed I was on hearing the news. Clearly I’ve chilled out in my advancing years. Our old glass and metal greenhouse, which I think has been there almost as long as the house itself, shifted a few feet along the garden – no mean feat, we’ve tried to lift it and heavy is an understatement. It just looks like someone has picked it up and moved it, which, depending on your belief system, they did.

Some of our plants are a little worse for wear, but nature has a way of bouncing back, and I am pleased to report our 1950s garage is as solid as a rock. So that’s this particular Great Storm done with. But don’t worry, there’ll be another one along soon

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/home/2.4887/i-m-learning-to-weather-storm-1.1103995#

(I didn't write that stuff!!)

Posted

a rather selfish and parochial view. Perhaps she should visit some of those driven from their homes or see the clean up required in many villages and towns down the east coast?

By all accounts the storm surge, that which caused the damage in the east, was close if not higher than the 1953 storm. More damage was averted by the increase in storm defences and much better communications and very probably by a better forecast leaving enough time for the emergency services to get folk out where they were at high risk.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Quite correct John. Just seen the people trying to clear up after the forgotten storm. I wonder how much help they will get from the Government.

Had a rather poor reply back from the beeb over their decision to drop the coverage at a vital time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

a rather selfish and parochial view. Perhaps she should visit some of those driven from their homes or see the clean up required in many villages and towns down the east coast?By all accounts the storm surge, that which caused the damage in the east, was close if not higher than the 1953 storm. More damage was averted by the increase in storm defences and much better communications and very probably by a better forecast leaving enough time for the emergency services to get folk out where they were at high risk.

yes was very bad along east coast we was lucky here in skegness the sea gates saved 10,000 homes here enviroment agency said in our local paper i did go to see it put we was pushed back by police at one point it was worrying as the sea was putting a lot of pressure on gates Edited by Skeggy Blizzard