Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Storm System & Arctic Blast Thursday 5th Onwards

Summer Sun

Posted

That's a surprise - well inland and the drains there aren't tidal as far as I'm aware.

Staffordshire Fire tweeting

'High Volume Pumps from Rugeley have been Mobilised to RVP at Humberside Airport to assist with flooding calls'

Given the airfield is 20ft asl, it's quite a surprise to say the least.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

'High Volume Pumps from Rugeley have been Mobilised to RVP at Humberside Airport to assist with flooding calls'

OMG how can that be surely the waters cannot be that high, must be drains 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Strange as the tide is going out. I wonder if Sarah is reporting the earlier high tide?

Pass. Next question? A lot of breaking news over the coming hours I feel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

OK - I think they're using Kirmington as a base of operations for flooding incidents in the Humber area, rather than Kirmington itself flooding.

• Like 1

Posted

Assumption is that would be the meeting point for mobilisation and then head out I guess?

ah that makes more sense RVP being rendezvous point for assisting calls around the area, NOT the airfield itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

yes and a lot of it not very good i am fearing, i just hope everybody that has been advised to evacuate has done so

Posted

Assumption is that would be the meeting point for mobilisation and then head out I guess?

Correct there are High Volume pumps from Staffordshire going there as a RVP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Getting very close to record levels now in Great Yarmouth and still a little while to peak high tide. 

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120738.aspx?stationId=6015

Hope everyone in coastal area's are keeping safe! 

Looks like it's been exceeded now. Hope everyone is ok round there :(

Posted
Waveney warning 2043:

Waveney District Council is urging residents in threatened properties to vacate as soon as possible.

Reports suggest that the tide is far higher, far earlier than expected and residents should not wait until immediately before the predicted surge peak at about 23:00 to head to a shelter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Levels falling at Whitby so bizarre. Too make life more interesting powers gone off in Whitby.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

In North Norfolk here, and hoping the surge is not as bad as expected, although being 9 miles inland, will not effect me directly flooding wise, but remember the surge of 77 (or 78) as a child, and having to wade through freezing cold water on a neighbours neck after waves were breaking down the golf club we lived in's chimney and surge flooded the main coastal roads. Not old enough to remember 1953, but by all accounts was way worse than 77 (or 78! lol). Wind was surprising here today, as storm was not hyped up days earlier in the mainstream news like more recent ones and was pretty gusty this morning, went quiet around 12pm (figured it was done), then was very windy for an hour or so past 1.30pm. Not sure exactly how strong the gusts were, but blew in some windows at work, and a few trees down blocking roads locally (not happened for a few years here, 13 at least). 

Wells, Cromer, Salthouse, Hunstanton, Blakeney, Snettisham and Heacham are all places I know very well and just a few miles away, and hope all the people being evacuated can return to their properties with none or minimal damage.

I lived on a houseboat on the Yare in 78, I couldn't get to it for 3 days and even then I had to wade through filthy ice cold water.

Highest wind gust on  my weather station was 69.6 mph at just after 15:00 today.

I wasn't here, I was driving back from London where it was nowhere near as bad as here.

I hope it's okay to post links on here, if not, please delete, but a fairly detailed account of what is happening around here locally right now. http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/regional_picture_water_levels_rise_in_great_yarmouth_and_cliff_park_high_rest_centre_is_full_coastguard_rescues_fishermen_from_cromer_pier_emergency_services_drafted_in_from_across_the_country_and_military_on_standby_1_3080978

An awful lot of helicopters flying around here in the past 90 minutes or so too...

• Like 2

Posted

a quote from uk weather forecast on facebook

Tonight I have witnessed something I certainly "hope" I'll never witness again! I have seen coastal flooding in areas you wouldn't have thought would flood in and around the Hull/Humber area. ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

A couple more updates from the BBC.

2102: BBC Radio Lincolnshire reports that flood water is receding in Boston.

2112: The BBC's Dan Johnson, reporting from Whitby, says: "The water has come over the harbour and, according to the fire service, flooded maybe 200 properties around the harbour. Now to add to the problems we've been plunged into darkness by a power failure around the harbour area. Street lights are out, the lights in houses are out, the only illumination is the flashing lights of the emergency vehicles."

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looking very nasty out there. I suspect flood defences will be on the agenda once again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just breaking on BBC news

North Sea tidal surge is the worst since January 1953, Environment Agency confirms

The BBC's Dan Johnson, reporting from Whitby, says: "The water has come over the harbour and, according to the fire service, flooded maybe 200 properties around the harbour.

Now to add to the problems we've been plunged into darkness by a power failure around the harbour area.

Street lights are out, the lights in houses are out, the only illumination is the flashing lights of the emergency vehicles."

• Like 1

Posted

Paul Hudson â€@Hudsonweather 19m

MT @Kitty_B_Good Chaos in Boston Stump under 18 inches of water, market place, bus station, borough council officesand many shops gone

Expand

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Sky news at 21:33

Great Yarmouth

The area is expected to see two meter tidal surges in an hour.

13 fire services from as far as Devon and Shropshire helping with floods across norfolk 65 soldiers also helping.

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Watching BBC 24 before 21:00 and expert on there said this is a once in 200 year event