Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Storm System & Arctic Blast Thursday 5th Onwards

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

spray off the east coast...

lol good one matt. Posted Image

BBC Lincolnshire's Sharon Edwards says there are reports of flooding in High Street, Faldor Crescent, Left Street and Bank Street in Boston.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Unfortunately, several of the EA level gauges on the East coast are showing "sorry, the last measurement was invalid" because the tidal level has carried on well beyond the astronomical max level according to the graphs. The surge is passing the Humber now. 

This is looking really bad around the Wash in 2 hours time.

Bit of a problem that. Fingers crossed that people stay safe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

at least the winds have died down, if the surge hit with the strong winds like earlier it could have been worse

Edited by JK1

Posted

Lets hope you are out there assisting with the rescue and evacuation efforts then !

Search and rescue of wheelie bins?
  • Like 1

Posted

Serious media ramp with everything these days ..

It's hardly a ramp, just look at the devastation & people have died.

The worst is yet to come with the tidal surges.

Keep the updates coming everyone... Is there buoy data somewhere?

Never mind, found it http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/United_Kingdom.shtml

Edited by Glenn W
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

One of the few times they haven't.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/observations/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

One of the few times they haven't.

Yes would agree for once! Looking at the gauges....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Just seen weather on ITV I think it was.Talked of winds and heavy rain this evening for this region.Not much of rain today so where's it coming from?

The storm surge comes from the funnelling of water down the north sea into the english channel where the narrowing of the land mass forces the water to 'pile up' and then flood the land. Add in high tides and wind and you have a potential for serious damage.

The interesting thing will be to watch what happens to the water SINCE the building of the flood defences. The hardest thing about building them is not stopping land flooding but modelling where that water will be diverted to. Needless to say the EA spend a lot of time trying to work this out for defences. If im right this will be the first big test of these defences along the coast due to a big storm surge.

I worked for the EA on flood defences in Leeds and there will be a lot of nervous people to see how these defences will cope and as above, what the knock on effects of such a large mass of water being diverted.

Edited by Barking_Mad
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Sometimes they needs to be a media ramp so people take notice and on the this occasion i think the ramp as you call it is justified 

• Like 1

Posted

You can look at River levels on the EA website, Here is the Great Yarmouth river gauge

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120738.aspx?stationId=6015

Posted Image

edit: High tide at Great Yarmouth is 9.44pm. Another 2 hours to go - a good chance that record river level height will be broken id say in a non-expert capacity.

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

The storm passed our shores about 10 hours ago. I wish the media would stop talking as if the high winds were still ongoing.

I'm more interested in how areas of Holland and Germany are doing?..

Meanwhile, a little perspective, huh? (Philippines v UK storm)

Posted Image

Absolutely get what you are saying but that comparison is grossly mis-calculated.  A) The Philippines is prone to some of the most destructive forces of nature known to man so to compare those is like trying to put a square peg in to a round hole and B There has been (by UK standards) some exceptional weather around today - I am not sure that coastal communities that have had their homes flooded out or roofs torn off would agree there.

Yes the perspective is we are lucky as a nation that we don't get those types of storms BUT by UK standards this was a pretty major event that has played out and continues to do in some form or another for this small nation.  That is why the media are hyping and to be fair I am all for it IF it raises awareness levels of severe weather with the general public.

Edited by P-M
  • Like 2

Posted

Search and rescue of wheelie bins?

I take it you arent actually following the real time events then ?  In case you haven't kept up the warnings now are for coastal flooding. Nothing to do with wheelie bins.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Courtesy of the Guardian link posted up by Coast earlier.

7.29pm GMT 

I have just been listening to Radio Humberside where listeners are describing flooding all around the River Humber. There's flooding at Kingston Retail Park, Victoria Dock and several other areas. Some are saying they haven't seen anything like the flood levels before and it is still 30 minutes until high tide.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Nothing to do with todays storm and the sad loss of life ,just the point that the media seems to be over the top in reporting what ever it is , I like storms but I certainly do not want to see people get hurt .....

No surprise it's the top story really given that yesterday the top story was Nigella Lawson snorting cocaine Posted Image

Still several hours until we find how justified the "media hype" is, if man coastal areas are underwater tomorrow morning then quite clearly the new stories were more than justified.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

You can look at River levels on the EA website, Here is the Great Yarmouth river gauge

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120738.aspx?stationId=6015

Posted Image

edit: High tide at Great Yarmouth is 9.44pm. Another 2 hours to go - a good chance that record river level height will be broken id say in a non-expert capacity.

several of the gauges graphs have been stopped at 15.00 - whether this is on purpose by the EA so that people don't crash the system looking I don'y know.  Boston, Wisbech etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Tidal gauge at Lowestoft. Speaks for itself....

Posted Image

Where is this link from? If that it is accurate, well need I say any more really.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

Note the wind has changed from NNW to NW. Those wave heights are still going up. 

Posted

Emotions are very mixed in here tonight, as are some of the posts, please think before you post as this is a serious developing situation fo many folk across Europe. Rather them than me, as like most of us I like extreme weather but I also treasure my life. Posted Image

Where is this link from? If that it is accurate, well need I say any more really.

http://www.ntslf.org/data/realtime?port=Lowestoft

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Nothing to do with todays storm and the sad loss of life ,just the point that the media seems to be over the top in reporting what ever it is , I like storms but I certainly do not want to see people get hurt .....

It is a major event for coastal areas?  I am not sure what planet you are on to think that the media are hyping something that is rarely seen.  I can not remember the last time a coastal surge was predicted to affect the area it currently is (I am 31 so that makes sense to some) but even a 1in30 year events warrants the media attention?  But more importantly people's homes are flooding across the UK - that warrants the media coverage.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

River witham in Boston is flooding the town centre so I hear, and Kings Lynn is heading the same way... Not good news folks.