Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Storm System & Arctic Blast Thursday 5th Onwards

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Jokes aside, any chance that folk could stick on-topic and continue to watch and listen and subsequently post useful updates in relation to developments of this most newsworthy weather-event. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

I notice the warnings haven't gone above yellow - surely, considering this storm was far worse than St Jude, it merits a far higher level of warning?

If you look at what the actual matrix says the warnings seem pretty accurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service says a section of the roof at the Chill Factore indoor ski centre in Trafford Park, Manchester, was blown loose by the wind. Around 300 people were safely evacuated as the roof was made safe and the centre was closed for the day while the roof was made safe.

• Like 1

Posted

I notice the warnings haven't gone above yellow - surely, considering this storm was far worse than St Jude, it merits a far higher level of warning?

There were orange warnings out for a large swath, though they seem to have been taken off now as winds have reduced. The low level gusts of 80-90moh were similar to the St Judes storm in places, though covering a larger area.

I guess the Met Office don't have a 'storm surge' or 'flooding' warning category though (not from heavy rain), that seems to be up to the Environment Agency.

Definitely seems to be a big event though..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Amber's were out.

I'm not into the north v south saga but the jude storm was  just as vicious, more people died, more houses were without power etc but that is probably down to population, so that's why we should never fight over which storm is worse when there's actual loss of life going on amidst it and actually effecting people. I hope everyone stays safe in the areas that are at risk of flooding. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I really have to question the 'intelligence' of some folk. Whilst the emergency services are risking their own lives evacuating areas and taking people to safety, some muppets are going in the opposite direction and putting themselves and everyone else in danger.

The main reason seems to be so they can show themselves up as complete nutjobs on live tv.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Watching look Leeds Tide pretty high in Scarborough right across the road in South bay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Winds went to amber, and flood warnings aren't the responsibility of the Met Office.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Posted

BBC South East today talking to the environment agency they say surge may even be higher than forecast. The One Show are doing a 'special' on storm surge at 7pm.

The surge at one of the gauges in the northeast earlier was 400mm above the forecast.

• Like 2

Posted

I really have to question the 'intelligence' of some folk. Whilst the emergency services are risking their own lives evacuating areas and taking people to safety, some muppets are going in the opposite direction and putting themselves and everyone else in danger.

Good evening storm chasers!!

Posted

Any projections on the surge itself? The '53 hit a peak surge of 18ft and I would imagine modern defenses have been built around Canvey to withstand that and more, unfortunately however the same defenses don't stretch everywhere and river inlets will be of concern for those upstream miles away from the seafront but with still the likelyhood of becoming flooded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

cyclones & low pressure system can sometime create meteotsunami not sure if that would happen though. anyways is the storm moving fast of slow & where is it's location now?

Edited by JK1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Unfortunately, several of the EA level gauges on the East coast are showing "sorry, the last measurement was invalid" because the tidal level has carried on well beyond the astronomical max level according to the graphs. The surge is passing the Humber now. 

This is looking really bad around the Wash in 2 hours time.

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

High tide has been and gone here, some minor coastal flooding but our new sea defences did a good job. Still the highest tide i have seen in very long time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

The storm passed our shores about 10 hours ago. I wish the media would stop talking as if the high winds were still ongoing.

I'm more interested in how areas of Holland and Germany are doing?..

Meanwhile, a little perspective, huh? (Philippines v UK storm)

Posted Image

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Just seen weather on ITV I think it was.Talked of winds and heavy rain this evening for this region.Not much of rain today so where's it coming from?

spray off the east coast...

Posted

The storm passed our shores about 10 hours ago. I wish the media would stop talking as if the high winds were still ongoing.

The strongest winds may have passed but the highest tidal surges haven't.

And nobody is comparing this to what happened in the Philippines.

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted

spray off the east coast...

Only spray? Well I wouldn't expect the heavy rain and wind she was wittering on about. Maybe a mess up? Winds have calmed and radar is almost clear. Edited by rmc1987