Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Storm System & Arctic Blast Thursday 5th Onwards

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

storm surge..thats got to be scary, and its happening at night.

police are evacuating some folk near the wash. 

Edited by chubbyfan

Posted

In Boston, Lincolnshire, 18,000 households have been told to "move to a place of safety". That means upstairs if they have a house - or to collection points if they don't have anywhere else to go - and then taken to reception centres.

Posted

Around 400 people are forced to leave their homes after flooding in north Wales

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

About 400 people were forced to leave their homes after flooding when high tides and gale force winds battered north Wales. In Rhyl, Denbighshire - one of the worst-hit areas - evacuees are being cared for at the town's leisure centre. Many were ferried to safety by the RNLI and emergency services after the storm surge at around lunchtime. The next high tide is expected to hit the area just after midnight but serious flooding is not expected.

Thursday's storm hit the coastline about lunchtime causing major disruption with roads closed, schools shut and trains stopped. Two severe warnings - suggesting there was a danger to life - had been issued for the area earlier on Thursday. In Rhyl, one of the worst affected areas, a rest centre has been set up at the leisure centre for residents and schoolchildren forced to leave buildings because of the tidal surge. At least 25 residents and six dogs were rescued and two inshore lifeboats manned by RNLI crews and assisted by the fire service ferried people to safety from flooded bungalows in Rhyl.

At the height of the flooding, the fire service dealt with 34 flood related calls in a four hour period. Red cross volunteers were also helping in Rhyl, sending 4x4 vehicles to help with evacuations. All of the flood warnings were lifted across north Wales at about 16:00 GMT including the highest state of alert at Greenfield, Bagillt and Point of Ayr. Earlier, people living near the River Dee at Saltney, Flintshire said they could not remember the river being so high. Cars in Deganwy were caught in the flood water but sandbags stopped homes in Marine Parade being damaged.

A BBC reporter at Talacre, Flintshire said the area was "like a ghost town an hour and a half after the evacuation. "The Dee estuary is bubbling away like a broth." There were reports that the defences have broken. During the height of the storm, scaffolding being used in roof repairs at an Aldi store in Mold, Flintshire, collapsed onto cars in high winds. An Aldi spokesperson said: "Although nobody was hurt in the incident, we immediately evacuated the store." Natural Resources Wales (NRW) had warned that high tides and gale force winds could "cause sea surges at their highest levels for the last 10 years, possibly 20 years". Strong winds of between 60-70mph (97-113km/h) had been reported on the Llyn peninsula on Thursday morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25220290

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Just saw this, from Sheffield apparently 

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Whitby is flooding and it's not even high tide there yet. Not looking good for areas further south. Hopefully people are taking the warnings seriously.

Posted Image

I hope so aswell but watching Sky News it looks like people ain't

Posted

Just saw this, from Sheffield apparently 

Posted Image

Looks like the builder didn't use any frame fixings. Was it just stuck in place with sealant? Wouldn't take much pressure gradient over the building to suck that out then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A few pictures I've found from local sources. A very intense day of weather! 

post-9615-0-24117900-1386263635_thumb.jppost-9615-0-76694200-1386263865_thumb.jppost-9615-0-62670900-1386263869_thumb.jppost-9615-0-76814200-1386263953_thumb.jp

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 6

Posted

The current US news on our situation:

http://youtu.be/fxAOu6Ys5tM

BBC news:

http://youtu.be/Jzuagvw0avM

Edited by Coast
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Looks like the builder didn't use any frame fixings. Was it just stuck in place with sealant? Wouldn't take much pressure gradient over the building to suck that out then.

Add to that the fact I think I recall gusts of 78mph recorded in the area, it was perhaps not just bad workmanship.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Ok, this is looking to be getting quite serious now for real. 1953 may well be repeated unfortunately. Sea defences have definitely met their match tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

shoddy work could have killed someone .

I blame Mother Nature myself but then again in our country somebody usually has to take the blame. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Providing the news coverage continues, the near on 900 users on netweather will be torn between watching the media inputs online and offline I reckon. My thoughts are with you lot on the immediate coastlines, please don't take any unnecessary risks. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Providing the news coverage continues, the near on 900 users on netweather will be torn between watching the media inputs online and offline I reckon. My thoughts are with you lot on the immediate coastlines, please don't take any unnecessary risks. Posted Image

^^ This.

Hope everyone stays safe and takes this storm very seriously.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

How come the media saying storms rather than just say storm? I don't get it.

I blame Mother Nature myself but then again in our country somebody usually has to take the blame. Posted Image

working in construction industry there's no way that frame should have failed, if I had installed it incorrectly and it failed it wood be me getting the blame not mother nature !! L

Posted

It's clear out much earlier the tide is rising as Lowestoft.

Posted Image

And at Harwich low tide was 0.5m higher than normal.

Posted Image

That is not a pretty situation. The quicker the surface feature moves through Europe the better, not too sure of its location right now but a whole host of North Sea counterparts are going to have to seriously brace themselves over the coming hours too.