Severe Storm System & Arctic Blast Thursday 5th Onwards

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

All quiet now rapid drop in winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

My warning for tomorrow has now upgraded to severe, can someone decipher the finer points please?

Latest Information:

High tides on Friday 6 December will flood properties in this Flood Warning Area. High spring tides, combined with a prolonged surge, mean that water levels are forecast to be very high. This poses a serious risk for both high tides on Friday. For the 02:30 tide the predicted astronomical tide level is 3.06 mAOD. The forecast surge is 1.06 m. The total water level at Sheerness is 4.12 mAOD. For the 14:45 tide, the predicted astronomical tide level is 3.18 mAOD. The forecast surge height is 0.93 m. The forecast high water at Sheerness is 4.11 mAOD. Forecast wind speeds are northwesterly force 4 to 7, wave heights are low. Our staff are working to minimise the impacts. Water levels may be dangerously high before the predicted astronomical tidal peak. This is because the surge is raising water levels before the peak of the astronomical tide.

Thanks. :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

My warning for tomorrow has now upgraded to severe, can someone decipher the finer points please? Latest Information:High tides on Friday 6 December will flood properties in this Flood Warning Area. High spring tides, combined with a prolonged surge, mean that water levels are forecast to be very high. This poses a serious risk for both high tides on Friday. For the 02:30 tide the predicted astronomical tide level is 3.06 mAOD. The forecast surge is 1.06 m. The total water level at Sheerness is 4.12 mAOD. For the 14:45 tide, the predicted astronomical tide level is 3.18 mAOD. The forecast surge height is 0.93 m. The forecast high water at Sheerness is 4.11 mAOD. Forecast wind speeds are northwesterly force 4 to 7, wave heights are low. Our staff are working to minimise the impacts. Water levels may be dangerously high before the predicted astronomical tidal peak. This is because the surge is raising water levels before the peak of the astronomical tide.Thanks. :-)

What they are saying is that tides are high anyway (4.12m above ordnance datum - sea level to all intents and purposes) but that the surge levels will be a metre above that or 25% higher than an already pretty high tide. I don't know the height of the flood defences are where you live, or how far you are from the flood banks, but if you are in a severe flood warning area, you need to be ready to follow the advice of the emergency services. You've got a good few hours to prepare though note that tide can peak two hours before scheduled high tide in circumstances like these) and You should identify and collect your most valuable possessions and start to think about who you might stay with, should you be asked to evacuate. PM me if you want more detail. Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

whereabouts in sheerness are you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

My warning for tomorrow has now upgraded to severe, can someone decipher the finer points please?

Posted Image

glad I'm not living in one of those brand new houses with a river view....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Class 3 warning in Sweden - highest level:

http://www.smhi.se/vadret/vadret-i-sverige/Varningar

For those unable to comprehend Swedish, it basically says:

"Southerly wind with very strong gusts 21-24 m / s, in the southern most part risk of squalls 25 m / s Thursday evening wrap to northwest increasing to gusts to 25-29 m / s, in the western part briefly 30-32 m / s"

32 m / s is 72 mph.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

Just come out from Buxton and one lane of the A6 near Dove Holes is blocked by a overturned lorry. Blues and two's were already on the scene by the time I went past the incident but luckily it happening before rush-hour so queues weren't too bad.

Posted

41 severe flood warnings now, it seems to be getting more serious. If anyone is having problems with the EA website, you can view the warnings here too :

https://apps.facebook.com/floodalerts/

CLA South East â€@CLASouthEast 19s

@EnvAgency have asked us to warn Members in the Kent coastal areas about the possibility of tidal surges going 'overtop' of flood defence

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 2

Posted

The winds have been bad enough in many areas, I have never seen so many places reporting gusts over 80mph since being on the web 8-9 years ago. The storm surge down the N Sea looks pretty serious for England and perhaps even more so for parts of the European coast. Let us hope that no more lives are lost although flooding for some along the east coast sadly looks inevitable.

My warning for tomorrow has now upgraded to severe, can someone decipher the finer points please? Latest Information:High tides on Friday 6 December will flood properties in this Flood Warning Area. High spring tides, combined with a prolonged surge, mean that water levels are forecast to be very high. This poses a serious risk for both high tides on Friday. For the 02:30 tide the predicted astronomical tide level is 3.06 mAOD. The forecast surge is 1.06 m. The total water level at Sheerness is 4.12 mAOD. For the 14:45 tide, the predicted astronomical tide level is 3.18 mAOD. The forecast surge height is 0.93 m. The forecast high water at Sheerness is 4.11 mAOD. Forecast wind speeds are northwesterly force 4 to 7, wave heights are low. Our staff are working to minimise the impacts. Water levels may be dangerously high before the predicted astronomical tidal peak. This is because the surge is raising water levels before the peak of the astronomical tide.Thanks. :-)

Hi Anything-But. I'm not familiar with your location but generally a severe flood warning means there is danger to life and property. Sorry if that sounds scary but officially that is what it indicates. Move valuable items upstairs (including items with sentimental value and insurance documents), switch off electricity and gas if safe to do so and seriously consider evacuating (if you haven't already been told to by emergency services). If you want to speak to someone to get more specific information/advice, ring the Environment Agency via Floodline (0845 988 1188) or the Incident Communication Service (0800 80 70 60). I suspect they will be very busy but should have staff answering calls. Please try and stay safe everyone.RG

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

I am awaiting the arrival of my parents after their evacuation from Caister near Gt Yarmouth. I am only 3miles down the road but not on a flood plain thank heavens. I really hope this is the authorities being too careful.

Posted

56mph max in Buxton today, co-incides with the cold-front passage as it made it's way through. Some short (but sharp) gusts brought to the surface via convective inhibition as small squall-waves (the best I can describe it) developed along the front.

oh..and we have snow falling here now Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

I just hope the surge and flooding causes no fatalities, probably one of the worst way to die is drowning in violent water

Edited by JK1

Posted

Track the lowest pressures in Sweden:

http://www.smhi.se/en/Weather/Sweden-weather/Observations#

radar on this site shows that snow streamers are moving east to west across central Sweden.

Looking at reports from Denmark, centre of about 966 mb now appears to be just west of the northwest coast as Skagen at the north tip has a light east wind, everywhere else westerly but strongest south-central, gusts to 140 km/hr in places already.

Posted

Lost a few things from my Garden and gained a few.

Looks like a tree has gone down in a garden opposite me. There is a gap where there wasn't one before. I know there's damage and trees down in other parts of Sheffield but considering 70 mph gusts a lack of damage to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Lost a few things from my Garden and gained a few.

Looks like a tree has gone down in a garden opposite me. There is a gap where there wasn't one before. I know there's damage and trees down in other parts of Sheffield but considering 70 mph gusts a lack of damage to be honest.

I suppose the risk to trees is somewhat lower now than a month or so ago thanks to the leaf fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Breaking News: River Tyne has burst its banks in Newcastle city centre.

Source: Sky News.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Apparently a few trees have gone down around here. They were pretty much horizontal as the cold front and attendant torrential rain pummelled through.

Posted

I suppose the risk to trees is somewhat lower now than a month or so ago thanks to the leaf fall.

Or the weaker ones get removed more quickly as it's very rare that we don't get at least one storm gusting over 60 during a year.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Breaking News: River Tyne has burst its banks in Newcastle city centre.

Source: Sky News.

Yes video here - http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/91963/video-river-tyne-bursts-its-banks-as-north-east-prepares-for

• Like 1