Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Storm System & Arctic Blast Thursday 5th Onwards

Summer Sun

Posted

Max gust of 40mph here in Buxton this morning, nothing too out of the ordinary for early December in these parts although the storm will likely give a glancing blow anytime between now and 1pm. Although im expecting to see gusts any higher than 60mph at maximum, and there goes the plant pots as I type this.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Max gust of 40mph here in Buxton this morning, nothing too out of the ordinary for early December in these parts although the storm will likely give a glancing blow anytime between now and 1pm. Although im expecting to see gusts any higher than 60mph at maximum, and there goes the plant pots as I type this.

Something wrong there 66 mph here 56mph in the last hour. Trees going mad at time son my web cam.

Just looked now showing an average of 10 mph.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Maybe a wave effect as the air passes across the Pennines Pit ? I'm not at home today, but my wife normally texts me if it starts to get bad, and nothing's come through yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Maybe a wave effect as the air passes across the Pennines Pit ? I'm not at home today, but my wife normally texts me if it starts to get bad, and nothing's come through yet.

Seems weird as it's often a lot higher than I get.

Posted

Wind's are from the west currently, given the local topography most of the towns are easterly facing so usually escape the worst of the gusts compared to other areas, in my home town we have the kettleshulme 'gap' on the cheshire/derbys border which allows some of the higher gusts to come through as the wind swings SWly. Buxton is spared due to it being situated in a bowl-type valley although just a few miles out from town the roads can climb as high as 1200ft luring unsuspecting motorists into a false sense of security as they drive just a handful of minutes away from the town center.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

How did Jo find a quiet bit???

offshore wind - you can see the waves further out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Storm watch: Gales rip roof off house in South Shields

Published on the 05 December

10:19

Published 05/12/2013 10:19

</body>

Sponsored by

Posted Image

GALE force winds ripped a roof off a house in South Tyneside this morning

At 9am today residents living in Victoria Road, South Shields heard a load bang before a flat roof was torn from one of the street’s maisonettes.

Debris was strewn across the road as the resident, who was inside at the time, called for help.

A neighbour said: “It’s a small miracle nobody was hurt.

“This street has a very busy thoroughfare, there’s always people walking along it.

“We just heard a loud bang and saw the roof flying past.â€

Posted
David Cameron â€@David_Cameron

I've asked Environment Secretary Owen Paterson to chair a COBRA this morning on the storm disruption - ensuring everything is being done.

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron

Posted

A severe flood warning in Wales.

• The following Flood Warning will remain in force for two hours after the time of high tide. The high tide at Point of Ayr is at 12:15 GMT on Thursday 5th December 2013. At Point of Ayr the tide level is expected to reach 5.92 metres above Ordnance Datum

• 10:49 on 05 Dec 2013

Posted

Thames Barrier closed tonight:

The Thames Barrier will be closed tonight to protect London from floods as the east coast braces for the biggest tidal surge for 30 years. Forecasters have warned that gale force winds, large waves and high tides could cause chaos across the east of the UK. They said sea levels could reach the heights seen during the devastating floods of 1953 - but insisted London's Thames estuary defences mean the capital is well shielded. The 1953 floods left 307 people dead and 40,000 homeless.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/thames-barrier-to-close-as-london-braces-for-gales-and-worst-tidal-surge-for-30-years-8984922.html

Posted

I'm not in a very wind-prone location here, but have just had a 47mph gust which is the highest since January 2005.

Its actually rather mild at the moment with a temp of 9.5C, it'll be interesting to see how rapidly it drops when the front arrives.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted

Ramping up in N Pennines now. Just have 5min very intense sleet and hail storm....can't remember seeing one of those before. 55mph gusts.

Posted

Another severe flood warning in Wales. Tide forecast to be 20ft above normal here...

• The following Flood Warning will remain in force for two hours after the time of high tide. The high tide at Greenfield to Bagillt is at 12:15 GMT on Thursday 5th December 2013. At Greenfield to Bagillt the tide level is expected to reach 6.25 metres above Ordnance Datum.

10:56 on 05 Dec 2013

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/34681.aspx?area=101FWTWN460&page=1&type=Region&term=Wales

• Like 1

Posted

Wind's are from the west currently, given the local topography most of the towns are easterly facing so usually escape the worst of the gusts compared to other areas, in my home town we have the kettleshulme 'gap' on the cheshire/derbys border which allows some of the higher gusts to come through as the wind swings SWly. Buxton is spared due to it being situated in a bowl-type valley although just a few miles out from town the roads can climb as high as 1200ft luring unsuspecting motorists into a false sense of security as they drive just a handful of minutes away from the town center.

You might get higher sustained winds on the tops or upslopes but the damaging gusts are often worst on the lee slopes as you get a rotor effect, combined with funneling through river valleys.Sheffield is notorious for especially gusty winds for this reason.

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffieldgale1962.htm

Posted

Mayday mayday,

Mean 44.9mph

Gust 71.4 mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

There is certainly an increasing chance of the North Sea tidal surge causing some fairly significant overtopping issues on Low-lying parts of Eastern Coasts. Lots of talk about 1953, but it's worth remembering that Flood defences are much better now than they were then. The Flood Forecasting Centre will be updating their forecast any time now, but from the data I've seen, 2-2.5m above projected high tides widely along the East Coast. In my patch that means a high tide this evening of well over 9 metres, and that's high enough to be of real concern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

The Dee Estuary is a natural funnel with the wind and tide as they are. I wonder if the will shut Connah's Quay power station down.

Posted

Temp in Swaledale still rising... Currently 6.2

But a lot clearer after earlier hail.

Edited by Swaledalehenry

Posted
A couple of tide indicators for later in areas in the East that may be of concern:

post-6667-0-98217200-1386059072_thumb.jp post-6667-0-18949400-1386059040_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-22863200-1386243299_thumb.jp  post-6667-0-33666000-1386243301_thumb.jp

High tide at Southwold overnight is at 00:05 (2.70m), but all the figures above are without any effects of low pressure and storm surge

Posted
11:00 Update: Environment Agency issues multiple severe flood warnings for worst tidal surge in 60 years

The Environment Agency has issued 26 severe flood warnings – its highest category – ahead of the most serious coastal tidal surge for over 60 years in England.

Communities along the North Sea coast from Northumberland down to the Thames Estuary and Kent, in addition to those on the Irish Sea coast from Cumbria down to Cheshire, could see significant coastal flooding later today and into Friday. The coastline from Wells-next-the-Sea in Norfolk to Clacton, Essex, is particularly at risk, including Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.

Evacuations are taking place

Evacuations are taking place in some areas, including Great Yarmouth, by the emergency services and people are urged to follow any instructions by the police.

Severe flood warnings are currently in place across Kent, Norfolk and Suffolk. People along the eastern coast, and some parts of the north west coast, are being urged to take urgent action to prepare for flooding today (Thursday) and into the early hours of Friday. The Environment Agency is likely to issue further severe flood warnings in the coming hours.

Some defences could be overtopped by the combined effect of high tides, high winds and a large tidal surge.

At present (as of 1100), there are an additional 137 flood warnings and 61 flood alerts in place across England.

Flood defences protecting the coast line

In some areas, sea levels could be higher than those during the devastating floods of 1953. However, flood defences built since then – including the Thames and Hull Barriers – mean that many parts of the country are much better protected than in 1953.

The Environment Agency will be closing its Thames Barrier tonight (Thursday) to defend London, in addition to operating numerous other defences such as those at Colne in Essex and Kings Lynn in Norfolk.

Farmers are being urged to protect their livestock and consider moving them out of affected areas.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/151075.aspx

Edited by radiohead