Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
A Winter's Tale

2014 FIFA World Cup

I enjoy it thoroughly when your media "expects" and it all falls flat..

I wish England all the best because I think they will need it. End of.

I agree Mondy...We've as much chance of winning the WC as have you lot.Posted Image

Enjoy all the 'chances to see' the whole of England's 1966 triumph. In colour!Posted Image

I enjoy it thoroughly when your media "expects" and it all falls flat..

Just because they're English media, it doesn't make them ours.
  • Like 2

To be honest this time I don't think there is that much Media expectation certainly not form I have heard over the last couple of days,

I agree Mondy...We've as much chance of winning the WC as have you lot.Posted Image

Enjoy all the 'chances to see' the whole of England's 1966 triumph. In colour!Posted Image

Actually I still have fond memories of Wembley 61 Pete. Now what was score. Oh yes 9-3 and Jimmy scored a hatch trick. Mind I was on a small ship at the time surrounded by passionate Scots football supporters so kept an exceedingly low profile otherwise the next splash would probabaly have been me overboard.

Here's a question, would you want your club side to win the Premier League or England to win the World Cup given the choice. I suspect many would go for the former.

Edited by J10

Well as it's very unlikely that my club side will ever win the Premier League (Brighton) then England. But of course on reflection that's very unlikely as well. But I did enjoy 66.

Here's a question, would you want your club side to win the Premier League or England to win the World Cup given the choice. I suspect many would go for the former.

Good Q.I think it's become 'worse', if that's the correct way of putting it, since the inception of the PL.I remember the 80s and early 90s especially, where me and my mates would get really wound up watching England games; it was as important as watching your favourite league side.

England World Cup win any day of the week for me. I know a lot of others are not minded the same, but I think it'd give the country a huge fillip. Posted Image

Edited by Steve C

Good Q.I think it's become 'worse', if that's the correct way of putting it, since the inception of the PL.I remember the 80s and early 90s especially, where me and my mates would get really wound up watching England games; it was as important as watching your favourite league side.

i always found an England loss in a major tournament more distressing and painful than watching West Ham lose.a big game..with the exception of maybe when West Ham lost the cup winners cup final to Anderlecht in 76 when i was a boy..maybe its because major tournaments only come around every 2 years and England dont always qualify..plus over the years England have had some decent sides and did come close to winning Italia 90 and Euro 96...my expectations these days of both England and West Ham are fairly mediocre...getting to the last 16 is as far as i can see..that will do me.

Brazil should be fairly happy with their draw. You never know what to expect from Mexico, Croatia or Cameroon. Croatia and Mexico should be competing for 2nd place. After seeing Croatia lose to Scotland twice in the qualifiers, I don't think they'll have enough to go past the other two sides and reach the last 16. In my opinion, Cameroon fail to impress and I think they'll be the bottom side.

GROUP A:

1. Brazil - 9pts, +9
2. Mexico - 4pts, -1
3. Croatia - 4pts, -2
4. Cameroon - 0pts, -6

Brazil 3-0 Croatia
Mexico 2-1 Cameroon
Brazil 2-0 Mexico
Cameroon 0-1 Croatia
Cameroon 0-4 Brazil
Croatia 1-1 Mexico

Spain should finish top and their easiest game would be against Australia. But the re-match of the 2010 World Cup Final and a game against South American opponents Chile will make for two crucial and very tough games. Spain should have enough to score more goals than their opponents and to have the majority of possession but they need to turn up if they want to avoid Brazil in the last 16. Netherlands probably should reach the last 16 but I think they could defensively be exposed and I'm not convinced they'll emulate their form during the qualification campaign. Chile really are a difficult side to play against. They have a continental advantage over the other sides and they do play well as a team and I can see Chile giving Spain and the Netherlands are run for their money. Australia are an average international side - their team is okay with some decent players. They'll need solid team performances and to get the best out of their key players if tey are to stand a chance of competing.

GROUP B:

1. Spain 7pts, +3
2. Chile 5pts, +2
3. Netherlands 4pts, -1
4. Australia 0pts, -5

Spain 2-1 Netherlands
Chile 2-0 Australia
Spain 1-1 Chile
Australia 1-2 Netherlands
Australia 0-2 Spain
Netherlands 1-1 Chile

I've barely seen Colombia play but given the advantage of playing in South America, a solid team with some star players, I think they'll be a hard team to beat and I can see them finishing top. However the Ivory Coast and Japan are two of the best sides outside of Europe and the Americas and they'll certainly be competing for a place in the last 16. Fail to beat Greece or defeat Colombia could be the difference between finishing top of bottom between the two sides. I think Ivory Coast have a stronger side and will be harder to beat. Greece are difficult side to beat and they don't concede many goals - but they don't score many either. They can't be ruled out and they could have a major influence on the outcome of the group but I don't see them doing particulary well.

GROUP C:

Colombia 7pts, +2
Ivory Coast 6pts, +1
Japan 4pts, +1
Greece 0pts,-4

Colombia 2-1 Greece
Ivory Coast 1-0 Japan
Colombia 1-0 Ivory Coast
Japan 2-0 Greece
Japan 1-1 Colombia
Greece 1-2 Ivory Coast

This is a good/bad draw for England. All sides presumably will beat Costa Rica so it comes down to the games between Uruguay, Italy, England. All three sides are good, but not great, international sides. Uruguay again has a geographic advantage aswell as having probably the best player in the group with Luis Suarez - if his fantastic form continues into the World Cup then Uruguay stand a good chance of qualifying. This Italy team isn't the same as the great sides of the past but as we saw in Euro 2012 you can never rule out the Italians. They are organised, capable of scoring in any minute of a match and they have got some key players who could harm other teams. I think Italy's fate depends on England and Uruguay games - one win and they and well on their way. But I see two very close games: Italy struggled with the humidity in the Confederations Cup and the opening game with England could be very tight. I fancy England to scrape through - but one defeat and depending on the Uruguay v Italy game, then it could all be different. I don't expect Costa Rica to do very much, but any point (or goal) they gain will have major implications on the group,

GROUP D:

1. England 5pts, +3
2. Uruguay 5pts, +2
3. Italy 5pts, +1
4. Costa Rica 0pts, -6

Uruguay 2-0 Costa Rica
England 1-1 Italy
Uruguay 1-1 England
Italy 1-0 Costa Rica
Italy 1-1 Uruguay
Costa Rica 0-3 England

On paper, a very good draw to France. If they turn up, their solid and improving side should get the better of Ecuador and Honduras and they should have enough to get past Switzerland. Given how France were on verge of being knocked-out in the play-offs, I could imagine the French can't believe their luck but no team can take their group for granted. I've not seen much of Switzerland - like Croatia and Russia they are a solid, well-organised European side but without any real star player. They are somehow ranked amongst the top 8 teams in the World but their qualification record was excellent and after seeing some of their club sides - such as Basel - play good, coherent football then I can see Switzerland being a difficult team to break down aswell as having a decent attacking threat. A question mark I have over them is how will they cope with South American climate/stadiums. Ecuador's qualification was down to a great home record at high altitude. Away from home and their record in South America is extremely poor. They do have some good players but I don't see them doing enough to qualify. Honduras is another side I've not seen enough. They are probably an okay international side but I don't see them doing very much.

GROUP E:

1. France 9pts, +6
2. Switzerland 6pts, +1
3. Ecuador 1pt, -3
4. Honduras 1pt, -4

Switzerland 2-1 Ecuador
France 3-0 Honduras
Switzerland 0-1 France
Honduras 1-1 Ecuador
Honduras 0-1 Switzerland
Ecuador 0-2 France

I the past year or so I haven't seen much of Argentina but any team who is playing on their continent, boasting some good players and two exceptionally world-class strikers should do well. I don't know much about Bosnia, Nigeria and Iran. Bosnia have a very good goal-scoring record and this could help them to proceed. Nigeria can be hot or cold and I expect Iran not to cause too many problems.

GROUP F:

1. Argentina 9pts, +7
2. Bosnia. 4pts, 0
3. Nigeria 4pts, -1
4. Iran 0pts, -8

Argentina 3-0 Bosnia.
Iran 1-2 Nigeria
Argentina 4-0 Iran
Nigeria 1-1 Bosnia.
Nigeria 0-2 Argentina
Bosnia. 3-0 Iran

This is one of the most interesting groups. Germany have got great strength and depth, are solid and they have the team and players to go very far. But this group could have a major bearing on their progress with three very solid international sides in Portugal, USA, Ghana. Portugal should have enough to progress - Cristiano Ronaldo is currently the best player in the world and their team as a whole is hard to beat and they pose an attacking threat. USA are good international team and their German manger has high ambitions for their World Cup chances. They've won a lot of games this year and not conceded many goals. In a friendly in May they defeated (an under strength) German side 4-3. The USA drew 0-0 with Scotland recently in a close game but last year the American forwards impressed in  5-1 thrashing. Ghana did pretty well in the last World Cup and they are one of the top African sides. They stand a decent chance of having close games with the other teams but ultimately they won't have enough to progress.

GROUP G:

1. Germany 7pts, +3
2. Portugal 6pts, +2
3. USA 4pts, 0
4. Ghana 0pts, -5

Germany 2-1 Portugal
Ghana 1-2 USA
Germany 2-0 Ghana
USA 1-2 Portugal
USA 1-1 Germany
Portugal 2-0 Ghana

Belgium are an emerging force in World football and this is a more than ideal group for this highly-rated, young team to progress in their first World Cup since 2002. They don't concede many goals but perhaps their goal-scoring record could be better. A lot is expected of them but they'll need to pass the tests against South Korea and Algeria. The latter should be the easiest game for all the teams in group H whilst South Korea could take some points of Belgium and Russia. If Belgium are on good attacking form, they will win the group. If Russia play well then they should get the results against South Korea and Algeria to progress and they could finish top if they get the better of Belgium.

GROUP H:

1. Belgium 9pts, +4
2. Russia 6pts, +1
3. South Korea 3pts, 0
4. Algeria 0pts, =5

Belgium 2-0 Algeria
Russia 2-1 South Korea
Belgium 2-1 Russia
South Korea 2-0 Algeria
South Korea 0-1 Belgium
Algeria 0-1 Russia

There are some potentially interesting games on offer in the last 16: [brazil vs Spain or Netherlands; Germany or Portugal vs Belgium]

LAST 16:

Brazil 3-1 Chile
Colombia 2-1 Uruguay
France 2-0 Bosnia.
Germany 3-1 Russia
Spain 2-0 Mexico
England 1-0 Ivory Coast
Argentina 2-0 Switzerland
Belgium 2-1 Portugal

Last 8: 

Brazil 2-0 Colombia
France 0-2 Germany
Spain 1-0 England
Argentina 2-1 Belgium

Last 4:

Brazil 1-2 Germany
Argentina 2-1 Spain

3rd Place

Brazil 2-0 Spain

Final:

Argentina 2-1 Germany

My personal opinion is that the seven sides that can win the world cup are Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay (may be a south american year this time).

Group A..

Brazil walk that.

Group B..

Spain and the Netherlands win.

Group C..

Ivory Coast and Japan.

Group D..

Uruguay and Italy win. England will not move past the group stages. Points will be 7,7,3,0.

Group E..

France walk that.

Group F..

Argentina walk that.

Group G..

Germany and Portugal.

Group H..

Belgium and Russia.

Essentially the easy draws go to Argentina, France and Brazil. England get a horrible draw and will go out.

Last 16..

Brazil vs Spain/Netherlands should be a cracker.

Spain/Netherlands beat group A opponent.

Italy/Uruguay beat both group C opponents.

France and Argentina top their groups and beat their respective opponents.

Germany/Portugal beat both group H opponents.

Only one scalp there.

No idea who wins from there.

England's game against Italy will now kick off at 11pm UK time and not 2am

I'm not so sure. But if you changed it to a cup win at Wembley, that would win hands down for me. Mainly because we will never win the Premier League (just saying that shows what a thoroughly depressing state English football is in).

England's game against Italy will now kick off at 11pm UK time and not 2am

why???

Because it was too convenient a time for viewers in Canada...

i would be pretty miffed if i was an England player..why kick off in the heat of the day just to suit you lot not having to stay up for one night?

Quite right. I think they should switch the current test matches in Australia to all night matches as it's playing hell with body rhythms. At my age I can't be having it.

Playing Italy is always going to be tough..but as long as we play Brooking and Keegan we should be OK.