Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Good morning everyone. A chilly -4.8 and frosty here .

Just seen the beeb weather - does not look good if you are on the East coast of our area. Take care everyone on the coast hope you keep safe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all, the sun came out yesterday which was nice. Partly cloudy with some ice on the cars this morning.

Posted

Just been outside to scrape the other half's car windscreen,wind picking up and very chilly 3.5C

Morning all, the sun came out yesterday which was nice. Partly cloudy with some ice on the cars this morning.

Oh baby that Sun rise <3 beautiful morning!

Morning all!

A very colourful sunrise this morning with hues of pink and orange filling my rear view mirror. Unfortunately, as you may have read in the other thread, there was no comet Ison to pierce the sunrise so it's all eyes to Lovejoy now.

A slight frost meaning a bit of windscreen scraping first thing and that's despite a general temperature of 3/4°C, which is rising rapidly as the sun comes up in clear skies. There was still a lot of white frost on the grass throughout Sussex.

So the winds are battering Scotland currently but even they don't look set to get the claimed 8" to 12" that the newspapers were carping on about. Flooding a concern for some North Sea facing coasts today and that could be down as far as Essex with the storm surge.  Anglian and South East have flood warnings and you can look at those here:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters

Good morning from Esbjerg in Denmark,

Overcast with high winds, the Danes are braced for this storm to peak this afternoon, the port has been closed to shipping and all flghts to/from the offshore oil rigs are suspended.

It is forcast for snow to start tonight leading into tomorrow - hope it does not get too bad regarding the snow as Im on the flight back to London City Airport tomorrow morning.

As requested earlier in the thread I will post some pictures when/if the weather gets interesting.

Have a good day.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all - at some point during the night the frost was replaced by cloud and wind - blustery this morning but nothing like oop north ...

post-10773-0-48292800-1386232371_thumb.j

Stay safe everyone, especially on the east coast !

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. After a frosty night, and a beautiful sunrise...it's now dull, with a very chilly wind.

Hope all you folks in the expected surge area stay safe and dry. Take care and good luck. :)

Sunrise this morning over Ippy docks.

post-17085-0-36949000-1386232607_thumb.j

post-17085-0-26230100-1386232649_thumb.j

post-17085-0-64080700-1386232697_thumb.j

• Like 8

Posted

Morning all

Had to scrape some ice from the car this morning at 6am, but it was that soft ice (Mr Whippy?) that didn't take much to move it away.  Was between 0 and +2 on the drive to the office.  We had the hint of a decent sunrise here in Harefield but now it's grey again although the grey seems slightly less grey than the recent dark grey and is more of a light-dark grey, bordering on light grey but still fundamentally containing a lot of grey.  Grey.  I'm having one of  those moments when you say a word over and over again and it starts to sound like nonsense.  Grey, grey, grey (look, it happened again!)

I need to work fewer hours......

AS

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning all,

Chilly and frosty start with a beauty of a sun rise....so nice to see it again. Take care out there in the E of our region

Posted

Morning all,

Chilly and frosty start with a beauty of a sun rise....so nice to see it again. Take care out there in the E of our region

Morning Lloyd. Latest on Kent and the East:

Kent is on flood alert ahead of the worst tidal surge for 30 years which could affect thousands of homes

Communities along the length of the east coast of England should be braced for the most serious coastal tidal surge for over 30 years - with Kent earmarked as one of the areas most at risk. The Environment Agency and Met Office are warning that gale-force winds, large waves and a tidal surge caused by low pressure will combine with high tides today, throughout Friday and to Saturday morning. This will bring a risk of significant coastal flooding affecting Northumberland down to the Thames Estuary and Kent.

n some places, sea levels could be as high as those during the devastating floods of 1953. However, experts insist flood defences built since then – including the Thames and Deptford Barriers – mean many parts of the country are much better protected than 60 years ago. There is one severe flood warning in place in Kent - the highest category - to homes and businesses near The Quay in Sandwich for high tides at 00:43 and 13:06 on Friday. There are also flood warnings and flood alerts in place for the rest of the coast. The Environment Agency will be closing the Thames Barrier tonight to defend London. Staff there are liaising with local authorities who are putting emergency evacuation plans together

It could mean thousands of home owners, businesses and retailers having to decamp to emergency shelters such as sports halls and community centres. Dr Paul Leinster, Environment Agency chief executive, said: "Gale force winds and large waves along the east coast of England are forecast during Thursday and Friday, coinciding with high tides and a significant coastal surge. Flooding of some coastal communities is expected and some defences could be overtopped by the combined effect of high tides, high winds and a tidal surge. "Coastal paths and promenades will be highly dangerous as there is an increased risk of people being swept out to sea.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/sport/kent-on-flood-alert-ahead-9812/

Posted

Storm surges occur because the weight of the air pushing down on the sea is much less with low pressure than with high pressure. This creates a bulge which makes the storm surge. Tonight, this is due to coincide with high tides.

The Kent coast is expected to receive a 3metre, or >12ft storm surge

post-5986-0-02179400-1386234311_thumb.pn

Take care and keep tuned in to warnings, and alerts.

Edited by Sparkicle

Posted

Wind has picked up really quickly here in Ippy. I just saw an Asda bag go floating past the window. :) I do wish people would keep their rubbish under control. But I suppose its a pretty good indicator of how strong the wind is.....how high the bag flies and for how long. :D

See yah later.

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all,

As others have commented on, it was a lovely sunrise this morning.  I was working from my windowless office yesterday so missed any sun in the afternoon, so watching the sun rise this morning did cheer me up on my journey to work.

Also had a frost here - but it was the nice type of frost - effortlessly scraped off my windscreen this morning and the inside of the car didn't mist up.  I must get a car next time where the front windscreen heats up like the back one does!

I hope those on the east coast are ok today.  I work on the river Thames (opposite the Houses of Parliament) so not sure if I will notice the water any deeper than usual?

SR  :)

• Like 2

Posted

High tide times today could be key to what happens along the East coast with regard to the storm surge and any flooding. Typical for Walton-on-the Naze, Essex:

High Tide 00:40 (4.40m)
Low Tide 06:55 (0.30m)
High Tide 13:01 (4.60m)
Low Tide 19:03 (0.60m)

You can check your local tide times here:

They are quite high at the moment anyway 

Posted

I hope those on the east coast are ok today.  I work on the river Thames (opposite the Houses of Parliament) so not sure if I will notice the water any deeper than usual?

SR  Posted Image

You're be on the right side of the Thames Barrier, thankfully.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all.  A high of 5.3c here at the moment, but did have a soft frost on the car this morning. Been out to walk the dog, and there is a bit of a breeze out there, coming from a westerly direction :D

Have a good day all, whatever you are doing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

High tide times today could be key to what happens along the East coast with regard to the storm surge and any flooding. Typical for Walton-on-the Naze, Essex:

High Tide 00:40 (4.40m)
Low Tide 06:55 (0.30m)
High Tide 13:01 (4.60m)
Low Tide 19:03 (0.60m)

You can check your local tide times here:

They are quite high at the moment anyway 

Yes, I think today is the peak day of this round of spring tides and it's a pretty big one this month. Timing very bad. :(

• Like 1

Posted

Crikey!! Just been outside for a ciggie and it's blowing a hoolie out there. That sprung up really quick. Well, as the old adage says....'Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning'.

Again, take care peeps.

Lovely images, Steve. Thanks for sharing. :)

Edited by Keraunophile
  • Like 1

Posted

You're be on the right side of the Thames Barrier, thankfully.

The Environment Agency recently issued a severe flood warning – its highest category – to homes and businesses near The Quay in Sandwich, Kent, for high tides at 00:43 and 13:06 on Friday. At present, there are also 16 flood warnings and 52 flood alerts in place. Areas most at risk include the North Sea coast from Northumberland down to the Thames Estuary and Kent.

http://www.nce.co.uk/news/nce-live-news-updates-thursday-4-december-britain-braced-for-biggest-coastal-surge-in-decades/8656396.article?blocktitle=NCE-Live-Updates&contentID=8860

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Going by the EV website,the warning for here only applies for high tide tomorrow (friday) think it`s 02:15/14:45, didn`t think things were going to be as risky today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Crikey!! Just been outside for a ciggie and it's blowing a hoolie out there. That sprung up really quick. Well, as the old adage says....'Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning'.

Posted Image

I was thinking about that saying this morning, but I also thought about the other side of it, which applied for a lot of people in the south of the region yesterday evening. Perhaps the 'delight' was having a nice sunrise this morning. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Over the rooftops this morning I saw a beautiful blurred sunrise as i couldnt find my glasses, and therefore a camera. But it was, honest.

Very frightening thought of a 3m storm surge around the coast.

As 1 Bar = 10m head of water, then 100 mb reduction in sea surface pressure should equate to a rise of 1metre in a wide body of water, which of course the North Sea isnt, its a funnel. Its a complex hydraulic set up influenced by tidal movements, atmospheric pressure, the conduit shape, wind direction and fetch. So the calcs are difficult but the Environment Agency has this sort of thing pretty much nailed. Better than our weather models anyway !

• Like 2