Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning, 

So it's not only depressed, but, dull and dreary in dirty Dartford and also frost free.

Morning CK, morning all. 

I was watching the fallen leaves dancing in the vortex of the car I was following this morning and thinking it was more like late October than early December.

A little bit of respite for many this afternoon, particularly in the Northern part of the region - enjoy the much overdue bright sunshine before 'fresher' weather joins us from tomorrow.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

AS, must apologise for this, must have been my fault (like everything else is), but I can confirm I used my windscreen washer this morning, they need adjusting and do cause some severe drizzle effect.

• Like 1

Posted

I quite like a bit of drizzle...

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

AS, must apologise for this, must have been my fault (like everything else is), but I can confirm I used my windscreen washer this morning, they need adjusting and do cause some severe drizzle effect.

Thanks CK I thought it must have been something like that - the alternative was just too fanciful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning all,

Another grey morning with drizzle incoming. Models look like they might show summit interesting in 10-15 days time, but as ever we will see....Jeez I hope so, I need an injection of something interesting......however, I really dont want a major snowfall around the 17th just before I jet off....which of course, it now will lol

Have a good day all x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I too can corroborate AS's report of something called 'weather', more precisely known in these parts as 'drizzle'. In the days of Francis on BBC Breakfast Time, the term 'mizzle' was adopted. Quite an interesting composition of the words, 'mist' and 'drizzle', 'mizzle' I offer to you weathermongers out there in cyber land, is an accurate term to describe this morning's phenomenal atmospheric occurence. Others from Francis' book of wonder words to describe other atmospheric phenomena are 'thorms' and..... the others escape me. Perhaps when the atmosphere wakes up and lifts the general mood, and my mind from the depths of this blanket of murk, I will recall them. I shall now drop an email to the 'Editor (?)' of the Express, that fine vanguard of all things important, to educate him on the word ' mizzle'. Watch for the headlines....

Edited by fluid dynamic
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

I think we also have this weather here that you speak of.....well it's hump day and the bin men have just been and woke me up....I'll check back later when I've had a coffee or two...

Posted

I shall now drop an email to the 'Editor (?)' of the Express, that fine vanguard of all things important, to eductate him on the word ' mizzle'. Watch for the headlines....

Deadly stormforce mizzle to 'BLAST' the UK causing travel chaos, misery and destruction for millions for at least 12 months

This could be worse than a mini-tornado!

• Like 3

Posted

I see reports are peppering our regional thread this morning of 'something happening' in the weather. At the risk of crashing the forum with yet another post on the 'weather' we are 'experiencing', I too can confirm that around the Heathrow and Uxbridge area this morning, 'drizzle' 'happened'. I instantly started taking note for the drizzle-ometer, but sadly the new car's 'automatic' system just would not play ball, so intermittent only came on when there was barely any moisture on the windscreen, yet when I turned on 'full' windscreen wipers, there just wasn't enough rain for more than ... say.... 4 swipes of the windscreen wipers. The roads outside look 'dampish', and I guess that is the end of the excitement until the next big event - maybe this afternoon's 'clearing through', maybe the 'cold plunge' on Friday or maybe just in my Christmas dreams?!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Looking at the yellow grey tinge to the blanket sky, you'd be forgiven for thinking it's about to snow if it wasn't so warm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Morning all!

This made me laugh.

https://twitter.com/GlennyRodge/status/142574115264532480

It says that in that Scandi crime book - 'Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow' by Peter Høeg - quite a good book.

We've got another one on here… S'No Posted Image  The S is silent.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted

Sutton breaks into a cheer as something different happened in the weather Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

yes i can confimr the early dangers of believing that the sun may shine was in fact Posted Image

drizzle and pitifully boring weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morning lol

Posted

I shall now drop an email to the 'Editor (?)' of the Express, that fine vanguard of all things important, to eductate him on the word ' mizzle'. Watch for the headlines....

Deadly stormforce mizzle to 'BLAST' the UK causing travel chaos, misery and destruction for millions for at least 12 months

This could be worse than a mini-tornado!

lololol i like it very true

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Its murky and drizzly here in deepest Ipswich. Nowt new there then. :)

Now...I see warnings have been upgraded, but it all seems to be up North. So why are there warnings for EA? What are we to expect.....storm force murk and drizzle perhaps. Or a light breeze maybe.

Have a good Hump Day everyone. :D

• Like 2

Posted

Read this and weep....

Snowfall amounts of 6 to 22 inches fell in parts of northern Minnesota, including the Duluth, Minn., area on Monday into Monday night, and another 6 to 12 inches may accumulate through Wednesday from northern Minnesota to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/winter-storm-impact-northern-u/20564835

I'm a distributor for a company in South Michigan, do you think I need to make a visit? :whistling: 

So why are there warnings for EA? 

Morning Grace!

Norfolk coasts are on the edge of the warning area for heavy gusts of wind tomorrow :good:

• Like 1

Posted

Amber Warning of Wind for East of England : Norfolk

Yellow Warning of Wind for London & South East England : Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire

Westerly gales are expected to spread southwards across northern and central areas of the UK on Thursday, with widespread gusts of 60 to 70 mph. However within the area of the amber warning gusts are expected to reach 80 mph in places and perhaps as high as 90 mph in exposed parts of the north and west of Scotland.

Winds will veer northwesterly and begin to ease during the afternoon, with the strongest winds becoming confined to eastern coastal areas by the evening.

There is also the potential for significant coastal flooding along the East Coast of England, parts of southeast Scotland, north Wales and northwest England. This may include flooding affecting parts of coastal communities and travel disruption along coastal routes.

The public should be prepared for the potential for significant disruption.

This warning will be kept under close review and updated as necessary.

Issued at:

1123 on Wed 4 Dec 2013

Valid from:

0200 on Thu 5 Dec 2013

Valid to:

1600 on Thu 5 Dec 2013

Warm air crossing the Atlantic will encounter very cold arctic air which will cause a low pressure system to develop later on Wednesday. This low pressure will then deepen rapidly on Wednesday night and Thursday morning, tracking quickly eastwards to the north of Scotland as it does so. As this system moves eastwards into Scandinavia it will to bring very strong westerly winds to northern and central parts of the UK during Thursday. The winds will then veer northwesterly and will bring much colder arctic air southwards across northern areas before easing into Friday. A combination of large waves, surge and high tides may also give rise to some coastal flooding, especially along the East Coast of England, southeast Scotland, north Wales and northwest England.

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Hi all, been lurking around in the back ground but thought I would say hello.

I live in Crawley, W/Sussex but commute every week to Esbjerg in Denmark, sometimes I get lucky and have two different weather climates and the end of this week might be one of those, this part of Denmark has severe storm warnings in place for Thursday and snow warnings for Friday Saturday - just seen out of the window my first slight snow flurry - so a little earlier albeit very very small/light

Hello Hanny - we will look forward to your reports from Esbjerg !

You are welcome to join the snow depth cup but we will only accept measurements from Crawley :-)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Ooooh! Hold up there......I can see a brightening in the sky to the South. What the....?? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Brightening here now. Posted Image

Posted

Brightening here now. Posted Image

Posted Image It's taking it's time, but it'll get there for you guys! 

Posted Image

• Like 1