Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Rapidly going down, Robin. Now 39 severe and they don't seem to be appropriate to me in most cases - they refer to the early morning tides, which have passed.

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 1

Posted

Rapidly going down Robin. Now 39 severe and they don't seem to be appropriate to me in most cases - they refer to the early morning tides, which have passed.

Hopefully then the worst is over and they can start to assess any damage and get insurance companies to facilitate some quick repairs or find people temporary accommodation. We pay enough for insurance generally, so let them sort it! 

• Like 2

Posted

Anyway... Morning all. :)

Mostly cloudy here. It looks like the high tides here, in the early afternoon, will be about 0.7m above normal, due to surge, which should provide a nice spectacle, due to them being on top of existing spring tides, but shouldn't be too disruptive, particularly as it's now much calmer. :)

Have a good POETS day all too.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning netters,It seems we managed to escape the worst of the storm surge, Germany however did not fair so well, take a quick look at https://twitter.com/anthonywx

Thanks for posting. There only seems to be one news item at the moment, so this might all be otherwise missed. A tidal surge over 3m above normal on a spring tide is terrible. Thank God we didn't have it so bad here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Morning all,

As far as I can tell so far that the situation would have been far worse for people's lives if all the authorities and emergency services hadn't been so brilliant.

With the current one sided news coverage I am not sure how much we will see, but I hope if you were in an a red area you haven't been too badly affected.

Interestingly I see that there are alot of comments on the BBC webpage on Facebook remarking about the unnecessary 24hour coverage of Mandela, so I suspect that this will be mentioned on points of view. I suspect the global event reason will be used. I haven't bothered to put the TV on yet as it is the rolling interviews they use time and time again that are just a waste of time.

Anyway enough of that, I wish all of you hopefully a lovely day.

• Like 7

Posted

There is other news apart from the sad departing of Nelson Mandela. Why oh why do we have to have it on a rolling loop? It is not exactly a surprise.

I expect that the BBC is sending at great expense reporters to South Africa to stand outside somewhere he might have been and tell us nothing new.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Very cold but a little brighter here in Ippy. I did not get to sleep until about 03:30/ 04:00 this morning. I guess I felt I wanted to go see what was going on down at the river. Then I thought about going out to see if I could clock Lovejoy (no....not Ian MacShane lol) I didn't of course, but what I can see of the river side from the house, all seems to be quite normal.

I hope everyone is ok after the floods etc. Ipswich SEEMS to have come out fairly ok but not looked at news yet.

Anyway, have a good day all. See yah later and take care. :)

• Like 3

Posted

God, I am tired now.... I have our Christmas party tonight to make through yet :)

No reports from anyone else at work of any damage. One guy who lives in Manningtree hasn't made it in yet though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Morning all.

I've not had a chance to catch up fully on the flooding yet but a quick look in here and media sources seems to indicate there has been some in our region and also a few evacuations? Hopefully no more fatalities but I think there will be some inevitable damage. Lets hope that the worst of it is over and recovery is swift, it seems like many have escaped a 1953 scenario which is positive.

Sad news about Nelson Mandela, but he was a very old man who lived the later part of his life to fulfil a dream of a freeing South Africa from apartheid and bringing people together - a very worthy cause and done with great Statesmanship and dignity.

Yes I agree Coast, looks like Mandela got off lightly, I mean the SE got off relatively lightly. Posted Image My thoughts are with you all. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Thinking logically, perhaps the Storm could be name "Storm Mandela" as he was also a powerful force but then again, maybe not so destructive. Anywya, I must check the latest elsewhere and if folk do indeed hear more about the storm, please post it to the storm thread. Maybe we could ask for a storm aftermath thread to be set up. Posted Image

What a mad day yesterday, here's to much calmer weather for a few days. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

"Thinking logically, perhaps the Storm could be named "Storm Mandela"

Oh please no.

• Like 2

Posted

Hemsby on the Norfolk coast, 5 homes damaged beyond repair:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Snape, Suffolk:

Posted Image

Cromer pier:

Posted Image

All photos are from here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25247531

• Like 2

Posted

"Thinking logically, perhaps the Storm could be named "Storm Mandela"

Oh please no.

You're ok, it has been named Hurricane Xaver in some sections of the media. It is amazing to think how many Hurricanes blast past our shores these days. Posted Image

The main thread is still going if folk are interested, see below. Let us hope we don't hear of any late emerging news of the like we don't wish for.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78664-severe-storm-system-arctic-blast-thursday-5th-onwards/page-30#entry2856399

Take care, I wish you all a beautiful Friday.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Snape, Suffolk:

Posted Image

Cromer pier:

Posted Image

Oh poor souls. It must be awful seeing ones house wrecked like that. It looks really sad. My thoughts to all those who have been affected. :(

I guess, however desirable a waterside property is...it's times like this when I bet the owners wish they had chosen differently.

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Snape, Suffolk:

Posted Image

Cromer pier:

Posted Image

I'd heard about Hemsby. I hope those houses had been previously abandoned. :(

Also I heard people had to be rescued from Cromer Pier. I wonder whether they were staff? I was there a couple of months ago, with similarly big waves, but the tide wasn't as big. Must have been a scary place!

• Like 1

I'd heard about Hemsby. I hope those houses had been previously abandoned. Posted Image

Also I heard people had to be rescued from Cromer Pier. I wonder whether they were staff? I was there a couple of months ago, with similarly big waves, but the tide wasn't as big. Must have been a scary place!

Steve, it was reported that it was people fishing at the end of the pier.  Why you would want to fish in that lot I really don't know.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning all,

Thanks to Paul for posting those pics of my hometown. My dad said he stayed up to watch the water breach the (hmm I cant really call it a sea wall)....The slope leading up to the prom. Thankfully it didnt seem to cause too much in the way of damage.

Today looks much quieter and the coming weeks look pretty much the same....

On a seperate note, im trying to find a forecast for Tenerife for my hols. I know NW have the holiday section but if anyone knows, I would be interested to know if they take the island as a whole (as the north and south of the island have such different weather) ......Im going to the south so wanted to find the specific forecast for that area of the island....

Cheers and happy POETS day to those who can take advantage of it x

Posted

Here are some photos from the Ipswich Star of the floods at the waterside early this morning.

post-17085-0-23093600-1386327173_thumb.j

post-17085-0-34451800-1386327187_thumb.j

post-17085-0-77520900-1386327200_thumb.j

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Mornig all, thoughts go out to those affected by the flooding, this is the one time im greatful for living ontop of a cliff, im not sure how the sea front is here but ive not heard anything on facebook so must be ok

Posted

Morning all,

On a seperate note, im trying to find a forecast for Tenerife for my hols. I know NW have the holiday section but if anyone knows, I would be interested to know if they take the island as a whole (as the north and south of the island have such different weather) ......Im going to the south so wanted to find the specific forecast for that area of the island....

Morning Lloyd.  This might help:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6297190

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Tenerife-Sur/forecasts/latest

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/river-thames-dolphins-live-updates-2896898h

Oh dear looks like the surge may have caused some confusion!

Edited by hernebaylooby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Hi all, anyone watching the tides for Southend? It seems instead of the expected 6.2 metres it's going to well be over 7 metres!

This mornings low tide was 1.5 meters higher than predicted.

Might take a drive over there, but it's a bit chilly out!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/river-thames-dolphins-live-updates-2896898hOh dear looks like the surge may have caused some confusion!

It's gone!

Posted

Just been to Brightlingsea promenade, to witness the new saltwater lake there and the beach hut carnage. Posted Image

post-11059-0-73845700-1386331942_thumb.jpost-11059-0-26282900-1386331997_thumb.jpost-11059-0-76129900-1386332043_thumb.jpost-11059-0-78632100-1386332083_thumb.jpost-11059-0-64853500-1386332125_thumb.jpost-11059-0-74851700-1386332180_thumb.jpost-11059-0-04389500-1386332222_thumb.jpost-11059-0-24965300-1386332400_thumb.jpost-11059-0-31165000-1386332356_thumb.jpost-11059-0-12436700-1386332448_thumb.j

post-11059-0-51564200-1386332576_thumb.jpost-11059-0-02524100-1386332620_thumb.jpost-11059-0-83469200-1386332716_thumb.j

post-11059-0-95314900-1386332667_thumb.j

• Like 8