Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

[*]

Harwich surface water 0103:

Elysia Jai said surface water can now be seen on roads in Harwich, Essex.

Posted Image

Email your photos and updates to east.newsonline@bbc.co.uk

[*]

0056:

BBC Essex is receiving reports of flooding around the county, with Mersea Island cut off.

There is flooding at Harwich quay and water levels are rising in Point Clear.

[*]

Sandbag helpers 0046:

Neil Collingridge emailed us this photo of flood water in Waldringfield, Suffolk.

Posted Image

Please send your photos and updates to east.newsonline@bbc.co.uk

• Like 1

Posted

Battlesbridge is all closed off by the police and I can see water in the road beyond them around the bridge so have turned back round. Will head to Southend via Rochford now.

Posted

Flood update: Key roads in Suffolk closed due to flooding

As of 12.30am these roads were closed:

*The A12 in Blythburgh is closed in both directions between the B1125 Angel Lane junction and the A145 junction

*The A12 at Bascule Bridge in Lowestoft is closed both ways between A12 Station Square and A12 Belvedere Road

*The A137 at Stoke Bridge, Ipswich, is closed both ways between B1073 Burrell Road and A1022 Bridge Street

*The A137 Wherstead Road in Ipswich is closed in both directions between Wherstead Interchange and the Bath Street junction

*A1117 Oulton Broad Swingbridge in Oulton Broad, Lowestoft closed in both directions between the A1117 Saltwater Way junction and the Commodore Road junction, because of flooding.

Posted

[*]

Boat on street 0113:

Geraldine Murphy spotted this boat getting around the flooded streets of Lowestoft.

Posted Image

[*]

Essex emergency line 0109:

An emergency line has been set up for people who need help evacuating in Essex: 0800 096 1233

this looks like this could be quite ongoing still

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Went around to the roads listed here by Medway Council

http://t.co/BCpk6D0yvK

On St Marys Island.. nothing. Dead quiet, no police, no evacuation happening at all. The river is still some 6 foot from breaching the defenses too.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

try  radio  suffolk 

Yes local radio is your only hope - listen to the phone ins and try to work out the callers' locations in relation to your own — if it's a river, if they're upstream having problems, you're probably going to get them too.

I remember the flooding in October 2001, 3 feet of it out in the lane and a foot of fast flowing icy cold water through the garden and the Cam came to 1 inch below our door step. We couldn't find out whether it was going to get worse or whether the worst had passed as the Environment Agency just had flood warnings and a 6 hour old emergency flood message. We were up river from Cambridge so first to bear the brunt of it. We moved everything of value upstairs in the end just in case, although the carpet stayed. Thankfully it got no worse although the loo stopped working.

Hope things have improved over the last 10 years, but somehow I doubt it.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted

I just got back from a walk by the Strand and Gillingham Pier.  If I was living in the Gillingham areas I would leave.  The water had already risen over the top of the berths and was about lapping 5 foot along the path. I didn't stay long at the Strand as the water was rising rapidly and I didn't feel safe.

• Like 3

Posted

http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/mapFromCMSCodes?topic=fwa〈=_e&codes=064FWC2&layerGroup=1#x=589373&y=168830&lg=1,&scale=5

the mauve areas are the warning areas

high tide if i am seeing correct will be around 02.30 am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

guys think before you go out

is it safe?

No it's not safe. Stay put.

People have no idea how cold and fast-flowing flood water is even if it's fairly shallow - I did a 15 yard dash to the house through some once and my feet were like blocks of ice once inside.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 3

Posted

An Environment Agency director has warned that floods in various parts of England could continue with the next tide.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/gallery_environment_agency_director_warns_there_could_more_flooding_with_next_tide_1_3082230

now i am gone

goodnight all

Posted

What a dud.. Medway council telling people in my area they should evacuate immediately.. even with another hour of the tide coming in there's absolutely no way the river is going to rise another 5-6 foot to breach the defenses. 

Goodnight!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

What a dud.. Medway council telling people in my area they should evacuate immediately.. even with another hour of the tide coming in there's absolutely no way the river is going to rise another 5-6 foot to breach the defenses. 

Goodnight!

If it doesn't flood it's a good thing, not a dud.

• Like 4

Posted

If it doesn't flood it's a good thing, not a dud.

I wanted to see a bit of flooding.. telling people to evacuate immediately is a bit excessive given the water is still some 6 feet below all the flood defenses. Only slightly higher than the average Spring Tide.

Though there are some reports of flooding now on Pier Road in Gillingham.

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

WOW!

Drove to Herne Bay seafront, and the water is so high it's coming up against the beach huts, it's also nearly as high as the pier! The waves are crashing over the walls onto the road, with a number of stones thrown at cars for good measure. The highest I've seen the sea since living here

• Like 4