Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

River Thames Live Dophins Updates? :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Just been for a walk by the river and all seems normal. Although it seems a bit higher than usual. Couldn't see river from the bedroom at nine this morning, but it was visible at 11:30 so orf we jolly well went.

post-17085-0-56572100-1386335595_thumb.j

post-17085-0-31336000-1386335628_thumb.j

post-17085-0-32574400-1386335668_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted

Another house wrecked in Hemsby:

Posted Image

Above and more here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/10497522/UK-weather-warning-live.html

• Like 3

Posted
UK flood defences praised for saving lives and property on east coast

Huge storm and tidal surge pass without major destruction despite water rising above levels of 1953 great flood

Britain's flood defences and flood warnings that led to thousands of people leaving their homes in the face of record-breaking high tides along the east coast have saved lives and property, according to the Environment Agency and police. Although two people died on Thursday in fierce storms, which disrupted large parts of the country, overnight flooding from coastal surges was not as bad as expected. But Owen Paterson, the environment secretary, warned that the crisis was not over. "Conditions like this only occur in some places every 500 years, so it's good that over 800,000 properties were protected by our flood defences," said Paterson after chairing a meeting of the government's Cobra emergency committee at 8am on Friday to assess the situation. "I would stress that this is not over. There will still be exceptionally high tides today and tomorrow, and I would urge everybody to pay very close attention to advice from the Environment Agency and also to follow instructions from the police, local government and emergency services."

The Environment Agency said that in some places on the east coast sea levels were even higher during Thursday's storm than they had been in 1953, when a similar flood claimed thousands of lives. But this time flood defences were much more effective, Jason Wakeford, an Environment Agency spokesman said. "The worst effects were in darkness overnight, so it is too soon to assess the overall picture. But several thousand properties have been affected in the biggest coastal event of the last 60 years and the warnings we issued were in line with that risk," said Wakeford.

In Hemsby, Norfolk, five homes slid into the sea, and three more were teetering on the edge. Robin Adams, the owner of one property, which he rented out, watched it fall over the cliff at 8.30pm on Thursday. "In half an hour the sea had lifted the bungalow up and folded it over and carried it away," he said.There were delays and cancellations for rail passengers and problems for motorists caused by debris and flooded roads. In some areas, such as Boston in Lincolnshire, schools were closed.

On Friday morning 27 severe flood warnings signalling danger to life remained in place across northern England, East Anglia, the Midlands and the south-east, along with 140 flood warnings and 63 alerts, including in north and south Wales, saying people should be prepared for flooding. Another 77 warnings and alerts have been removed over the past 24 hours. Most flood warnings in Scotland had been lifted on Friday. Wakeford, the Environment Agency spokesman, said: "Some 800,000 properties have been protected by the defences put in place in the last six decades and we have issued 120,000 warnings to individual properties. "It is quite clear from those numbers that events like this are hugely dangerous – the 1953 flood claimed thousands of lives so alerts and warnings are very important to prevent such a disaster happening again."

The Thames Barrier faced the biggest tide since it opened in 1982 and will be closing again later on Friday after being shut overnight and reopened. Norway, Denmark and Germany were also hit by the storm. In Hamburg, Germany's second-biggest city, the water rose about four metres (13ft) above average flood levels on Friday. Northumbria police tweeted: "Early indications are that the tidal surges in our area this morning are less than what we saw yesterday."

Essex police said the county had escaped the worst of the weather. Charlie Hall, deputy chief constable of Norfolk police, said: "This has been a serious incident which could have been far worse had it not been for the support and co-operation of the public and all the agencies working to keep people safe. "In places, water levels were higher than those experienced in the flooding of 1953, when many people lost their lives. "Thankfully that has not been the case on this occasion, a combination of improved defences in place and the concerted efforts of the community, the emergency services and the agencies that have worked to support the evacuation and keep people informed. "The widespread evacuation was based on the high risk of severe flooding and was essential in ensuring the public's safety. A night-time rescue operation would have placed both the public and emergency services at far greater risk." Military personnel from Colchester Garrison helped emergency services during the night in Maldon in the county and most people evacuated from their homes had left rest centres, police said.

More than 10,000 homes on the coast were earmarked for evacuation on Thursday night after officials warned that lives could be at risk. In Boston, Lincolnshire, more than 250 people were taken to evacuation centres, and 200 were reported to be at a centre in Clacton-on-Sea in Essex. Sandwich, in Kent, escaped lightly. About 20 homes closest to the Quay, where the flood defences are currently being improved in a £21m scheme, are thought to have suffered flooding when the defences were overtopped. About 178 properties were evacuated with some residents spending the night in a local leisure centre. Strand Street, one of the main streets in the centre of Sandwich, remains closed where Environment Agency staff set up a temporary barrier. On Thursday night residents queued for an allocation of 10 sandbags per house, some using borrowed shopping trolleys to carry them. Householders have been warned the emergency is not over, with a second high tide forecast for around 1pm.

In Scotland rail services were back to near normal after a virtual shutdown on Thursday but there were problems with services across eastern and south-eastern England and motorists were advised to stay clear of main routes such as the A47 and A12.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/06/uk-flood-defences-storm-surge-east-coast

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Just peered out of the window and the river seems even higher than earlier. Are the tides still higher than normal?

Posted

Just peered out of the window and the river seems even higher than earlier. Are the tides still higher than normal?

Where are you currently Grace?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Yep, about 3/4 metre this afternoon. Your high tide is 14:11.

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, about 3/4 metre this afternoon. Your high tide is 14:11.

Ah yes, that answers it, ta Steve!

post-6667-0-34012900-1386337102_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

I should clarify that the 3/4 metre bit is the surge element. This is addition to the spring tide element, so a big 'un. :)

Posted

Hope all you folks in the flood areas are doing okay! 

Experienced my first frost for the winter today... Judging by the mod thread I may just have to be content with frost.

• Like 1

Posted

Experienced my first frost for the winter today... Judging by the mod thread I may just have to be content with frost.

Thank you for passing that on, the MOD thread tends to be like this for me currently:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Sad news about Nelson Mandela, but he was a very old man who lived the later part of his life to fulfil a dream of a freeing South Africa from apartheid and bringing people together - a very worthy cause and done with great Statesmanship and dignity.

The mood is rather sombre in my house today. The passing of Tata Madiba has been very emotional for us (We are a South African family). 

Onto weather related topics ;) I think I am going to take a break from model watching at the moment as far as I can make out we may have to wait for anything of interest. Oh well I did buy a can of fake snow for my Christmas tree, maybe I can make the windows look festive. 

Posted

Morning all, or is it afternoon, i'm a tad tiredPosted Image

So my first port of call last night was Felixstowe Ferry, arrived to find quite a gathering of home and business owners getting the last bits onto higher ground so lent a hand to help them get done, amazingly they were all rather upbeat and excited about what was about to happen, the consensus seemed to be that its mother nature you can't stop it so you may as well enjoy seeing it. I didn't stay too long after the water started rushing in (and it did come fast) as the only road in or out would fill up fast as it took hold.

post-18801-0-93871900-1386339308_thumb.jpost-18801-0-90752600-1386339344_thumb.jpost-18801-0-66084100-1386339380_thumb.j

post-18801-0-22899000-1386339416_thumb.jpost-18801-0-12668600-1386339452_thumb.j

So then it was down to the seafront where it was good too see that the flood defences were hard at work and it was looking like as i said yesterday, just a little splash over the wall and not a raging torrent.

post-18801-0-89438400-1386339876_thumb.jpost-18801-0-71172800-1386339912_thumb.jpost-18801-0-11990000-1386339949_thumb.j

post-18801-0-32853400-1386339985_thumb.j

On my way back to Ipswich and a quick stop to see how the town was bearing up, a few roads closed as the water reached its peak but again nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

post-18801-0-62345700-1386340554_thumb.jpost-18801-0-24463000-1386340591_thumb.jpost-18801-0-55479400-1386340627_thumb.j

post-18801-0-45280200-1386340663_thumb.j

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Also I do feel the government's response was a good one, no matter what we might think of DC and his pals. The actions taken by them and the EA, British Army and other sections of society certainly deserve our respect.

• Like 7

Posted

Afternoon all. Is bluebreezer 54 still about? Haven't seen him posting much of late unless I need to go to spec savers Posted Image

I am indeed Triple x and still post fairly regularly. Spec Savers it is for you then Posted Image . Thanks for asking though.

I really feel for all the folk who saw their homes and businesses affected by these events but relieved that for a number of reasons it wasn't so much worse. Let's hope they are able to recover soon.

• Like 8

Posted

Also I do feel the government's response was a good one, no matter what we might think of DC and his pals. The actions taken by them and the EA, British Army and other sections of society certainly deserve our respect.

Yes, thankfully we all knew about the potential in good enough time and I suspect you'll find all sorts of official people look in on Netweather Posted Image as members were calling it pretty much spot on in the days leading up to yesterday.

Forecasting has of course come a long way since 1953 but then again so has the flood protection along our East coast. Still didn't stop everything, but without the heads-up forecasts/flood warnings, the commitment to sea defences and the sterling work of the uniformed services and civilians, yesterday could have been a whole lot worse.

Big pat on the back for all concerned! Posted Image

Edited by Coast
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Yes, thankfully we all knew about the potential in good enough time and I suspect you'll find all sorts of official people look in on Netweather Posted Image as members were calling it pretty much spot on in the days leading up to yesterday.

Forecasting has of course come a long way since 1953 but then again so has the flood protection along our East coast. Still didn't stop everything, but without the heads-up forecasts/flood warnings, the commitment to sea defences and the sterling work of the uniformed services and civilians, yesterday could have been a whole lot worse.

Big pat on the back for all concerned! Posted Image

absolutely! I almost feel like we should write a letter to say well done. How often do they get praised. Maybe one for the PM, but to mention all involved, businesses, communities, local authorities (officers, not so much the members), police, fire brigade, RNLI etc, EA, met office - but not the BBC! . I must say I am very impressed by all

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

absolutely! I almost feel like we should write a letter to say well done. How often do they get praised. Maybe one for the PM, but to mention all involved, businesses, communities, local authorities (officers, not so much the members), police, fire brigade, RNLI etc, EA, met office - but not the BBC! . I must say I am very impressed by all

Posted Image Steady on PB, I wouldn't go that far, but credit where credit's due that's for sure.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 5

Posted

Yes, the Police were stopping people going on to the Promenade in Brightlingsea in the early hours. It was only this morning and seeing the way it had flooded in the area, made me realise how correct that decision was. :) Walking there would have been extremely hazardous.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, thankfully we all knew about the potential in good enough time and I suspect you'll find all sorts of official people look in on Netweather Posted Imageas members were calling it pretty much spot on in the days leading up to yesterday.

Coast, you may believe the above to be unlikely but impending extreme weather reports do certainly get escalated to other sections of the media (apart from the BBC, no I jest) from forums such as ours, so I don't think it is such a long shot. One things for sure, it can be seen as a great way to keep live event threads on-topic, well at least I hope so.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

just watched the update on BBC News 24 re the flooding. Hmm I think the BBC have been listening to complaints as this one chap Chris, did a very good report live I thought, and he was careful what he said. Anyone see him? I liked his report. It was clear that they hadn't had done much research and he improvised, but he did sensitively.

Onto weather I hear the north are in for some snow. Very cold but stunning this morning. Went for a ride on the horse and it was so lovely. I really love this kind of weather. Great if you were wrapped up which I was. More please of the weather this morning!!

Posted Image Steady on PB, I wouldn't go that far, but credit where credit's due that's for sure.

I know am getting carried away..think it was seeing the sunshine this morning that lifted me!! Ill try to get back to my suspicious self soon! :) What is the score BTW for the weather next couple of days our region GTLTW I kinda have got a bit lost and out of touch recently...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Afternoon all,Dont know how many of you have read some of Ian Currie's books, or indeed some of you may have heard him on Radio London and LBC, where he had a weekly weather forecasting slot, for a while, some years ago. You may well have heard his Radio 4 programme, based on his book Frost, Freezes and Fairs or seen him forecasting on Cable TV.Many of you may well have read the excellent series of County Weather books, based on major weather events in Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, etc, which Ian Currie was the co-author of.I contacted him with the view of attending some of his weather related talks, as he is involved in the Meteorological branch of the Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society. Also I wanted to try and get a couple of copies of those County Weather books, as they are mostly out of print now. The Kent one for myself and hopefully a copy of the Sussex one for Tamara, who I knew had been wanting to get a copy of that county's major weather events, after moving down to Sussex some years ago.To cut a further long story short, Mr. Currie kindly agreed to meet myself and Tamara yesterday evening, to have a chat about the issues I've mentioned above. We had a really fascinating 3 hours with him and came away with our own personally signed copies of the Kent and Sussex Weather books. You can imagine that when you get 3 weather enthusiasts together, the 3 hours seemed like 3 minutes, we could have gone on for another 3 days, so interesting was the discussion, with a full and hearty swapping of views and weather memories. He really was an interesting and hospitable host to both myself and Tamara and we came away with a real buzz about the evening.I mentioned to Ian that I'd ask members on the SE Regional thread, if any would like to attend some of his presentations on behalf of the Society I've mentioned above and he will be forwarding his schedule of events to me, in due course. Although the Society is based in Croydon, he actually holds these presentations throughout S.E.England and even further afield. Some of his chats are to closed Societies only but the majority are open to anyone who wants to come along to view them.As soon as Ian lets me know his timetable of events, I'll post them up in here. It's certainly worth going along to hear him talk about his weather experiences and indeed major weather events over the centuries.Regards,Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 8

Posted

Coast, you may believe the above to be unlikely 

No on the contrary, I really do think some 'top decision makers' lurk here (NW) when things are looking uncertain in the media or through other outlets. That's why I've always believed we should strive to keep things accurate and  informative as what is a hobby and interest to us, is guidance and advice to many others.

It's also nice to have some light-hearted entertainment along the way! Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

after all the events yesterday to day was marginally quieter here, I appreciate some coast areas are still waiting out the last of the high tides, but overall the warnings heeded, the changes in place to offer better or some protection appear to have paid off in terms of saving lives, sadly not the same for exposed or prone properties though, but fixing a house is easier than a life.

On the way home the big tree I saw yesterday that had fallen was in the last stages of being cleared away.

Still a cold wind out there, but dry, even sunny at times.

• Like 4