Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

hi chubby

as i said a lot of older folk might not have internet

will scare the life out of them if they get a knock at the door at this time of night telling them to evacuate

and still nothing on the main news channels

Posted

It's crazy it's getting no coverage on the news now. Look at Medway announcing evacuations at this late hour. Can't imagine how I would feel getting a knock on the door at this time of night.

• Like 3

Posted
'Far from over' 2347:

Geoff Brighty, of the Environment Agency, tells BBC Look East the storm is "far from over".

Posted Image

"We will see the surge go along the coast into Essex over the next three or four hours," he says.

Lifeboat station 2337:

A wooden structure previously used as a lifeboat station in Hemsby, Norfolk was washed into the sea tonight, the coastguard says.

At least two other wooden structures used as homes were also swept away as the storm hit at about 20:30, says a spokesman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25238120

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

From the Medway council site....

"

Updates Thursday 11.17pm

Medway Council is working with Kent Police and partner agencies on a limited evacuation of up to 300 properties in some areas of Medway. 

This action has been taken on the advice of the Environment Agency and their latest modelling of the flood risk in the area.

A door-to-door evacuation is taking place in the following streets:

StroodCanal RoadKingswear GardensWingrove DriveCranmere CourtSmith StreetCuxton RoadKnight RoadAlma StreetCharles StreetCommercial RoadRoach Street

RochesterDoust WayHathaway Court (off Esplanade)

Lower UpnorUpnor RoadMote LaneBrissenden Close

St Mary’s IslandRedshank RoadMarine ViewWatersmeet Road

Gillingham LowerWaterside LineOwens Way

UpchurchBottom of Otterham Quay Lane

HooProperties of very frontage of Hoo Marina

Lower RainhamCopperhouse LaneBloors Wharf Road

Residents living in these areas only are advised to evacuate their properties immediately.

When evacuating, please ensure your property is secure, including switching off any gas and electricity supply.  Please take any necessary items with you, including medication.

Where possible residents are advised to family or friends' properties outside the affected roads. If this is not possible they should go to the rest centre that has been established at Strood Leisure Centre by Medway Council.

If you have been told to evacuate and choose not to go to the rest centre or elsewhere, please make sure you inform relatives.

For further information residents should:Visit http://www.medway.gov.uk/information/newspages/floodwarning.aspxFollow @medway_council on TwitterSearch “Medway Council - Service updates and information†on Facebook

Evacuation tipsIf you are told to evacuate and choose not to go to the evacuation centre, please advise a family member or friend where you are going.Take any necessary items with you, such as medicine.Secure your property if you are advised to evacuate and switch gas and electric off."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

It's not just the East coast that has/is been hit...this is West Kirby  (on the north-west corner of the coast of the Wirral Peninsula) earlier today .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGxzujen74

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

The thing that really annoys me is that if this storm surge was happening in America

Sky and bbc would be all over it

Surely our news service should be dedicated to public safety

At least have an update every 15 mins

• Like 9

Posted

From the Medway council site....

"

Updates Thursday 11.17pm

Medway Council is working with Kent Police and partner agencies on a limited evacuation of up to 300 properties in some areas of Medway. 

This action has been taken on the advice of the Environment Agency and their latest modelling of the flood risk in the area.

A door-to-door evacuation is taking place in the following streets:

StroodCanal RoadKingswear GardensWingrove DriveCranmere CourtSmith StreetCuxton RoadKnight RoadAlma StreetCharles StreetCommercial RoadRoach Street

RochesterDoust WayHathaway Court (off Esplanade)

Lower UpnorUpnor RoadMote LaneBrissenden Close

St Mary’s IslandRedshank RoadMarine ViewWatersmeet Road

Gillingham LowerWaterside LineOwens Way

UpchurchBottom of Otterham Quay Lane

HooProperties of very frontage of Hoo Marina

Lower RainhamCopperhouse LaneBloors Wharf Road

Residents living in these areas only are advised to evacuate their properties immediately.

When evacuating, please ensure your property is secure, including switching off any gas and electricity supply.  Please take any necessary items with you, including medication.

Where possible residents are advised to family or friends' properties outside the affected roads. If this is not possible they should go to the rest centre that has been established at Strood Leisure Centre by Medway Council.

If you have been told to evacuate and choose not to go to the rest centre or elsewhere, please make sure you inform relatives.

For further information residents should:Visit http://www.medway.gov.uk/information/newspages/floodwarning.aspxFollow @medway_council on TwitterSearch “Medway Council - Service updates and information†on Facebook

Evacuation tipsIf you are told to evacuate and choose not to go to the evacuation centre, please advise a family member or friend where you are going.Take any necessary items with you, such as medicine.Secure your property if you are advised to evacuate and switch gas and electric off."

sort of thing that would be handy to see scolling on News 24 ticker....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

The surge has arrived in Ippy ahead of high tide apparently. Some streets flooded and a man hole cover has blown near the quay. And the wind has picked up again.

Very grim for all those affected. Stay safe everyone.

Posted
'Staying put' 0000:

In Essex, the 2,500 householders in Jaywick were being asked to sign a declaration by police if they decided not to leave their homes.

Posted Image

BBC Look East's Gareth George says: "If the householders say they staying, they are asked to sign a declaration saying they have had the risks explained to them."

But he added most residents he spoke to were "staying put".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

that's a lot of streets..surge/flooding must have caught everyone out.

good luck with waking up deaf vera at no44.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

http://www.pla.co.uk/hydrographics/index.cfm

Southend Tide 

Tide Gauge : Southend

Date/Time: 00:03 06-Dec-13

Height : 6.53 metres

2.33 metres above prediction

A tide height of 6m was predicted at high tide at 2:17am, we're already .5m over that, 2 hours before hand!

• Like 1

'Staying put' 0000:

In Essex, the 2,500 householders in Jaywick were being asked to sign a declaration by police if they decided not to leave their homes.

Posted Image

BBC Look East's Gareth George says: "If the householders say they staying, they are asked to sign a declaration saying they have had the risks explained to them."

Isn't Jaywick the most deprived part of the country? Maybe some are fearful of burglary if they go and a lack of police patrols. A lot of houses look like little more than shacks that could be easy to break into. Horrible situation.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The surge has arrived in Ippy ahead of high tide apparently. Some streets flooded and a man hole cover has blown near the quay. And the wind has picked up again.Very grim for all those affected. Stay safe everyone.

I think your high tide is still an hour and a half away, like mine.

Like you say, stay safe all, indeed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

'Staying put' 0000:

Posted Image

Didn't I read that most of this area is below sea level, I really think these people need to rethink.

Posted

Didn't I read that most of this area is below sea level, I really think these people need to rethink.

i agree alexis

property second life first

if this was slapped all over the news maybe people may take this a tad more serious

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

oh the irony, if folk are saying to police..

"oh were not leaving home, its not that bad or it would be on telly and all bbc/sky have got on is mandela".

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Reports of some flooding in Brightlingsea.

And low life vermin apparently going round Jaywick, looking for easy pickings. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Dance East in Ipswich looks like it is close to getting flooded!

https://twitter.com/apirie/status/408746585481572354/photo/1

• Like 2