Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.
Bridge closure 2147:

Oulton Broad road bridge is to be closed shortly, Waveney District Council says.

It says water levels are now too high for cars to cross safely.

Revised Suffolk warning 2139:

The Suffolk Resilience Forum says it expects the tidal surge to hit the Suffolk coastline "up to an hour earlier than predicted - and may be slightly higher".

It said the next high tide at Lowestoft was expected at about 23:00.

A spokesperson said the tidal surge had hit parts of Norfolk an hour early, and "in some cases has been 200-300mm higher than estimated".

Posted

I thought they knew how to model storm surges these days?

The Suffolk Resilience Forum says it expects the tidal surge to hit the Suffolk coastline "up to an hour earlier than predicted - and may be slightly higher".

A spokesperson said the tidal surge had hit parts of Norfolk an hour early, and "in some cases has been 200-300mm higher than estimated".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

evening all

Does anyone know where i can see where the'red' areas are?

I am sure we ok here in colchester but some of my family lives in mistley near the water?

They have only just moved there so they dont know what the areas like.?

Posted

Still find it hard to believe i'm in the red zone in Minster,

hav'nt got a scooby doo of what to do!

If you start to get flood water make your way up to services area,at least there is a toilet and food options.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

sorry off topic

just announced the nelson mandella has passed away

Not to worry, John...RIP, a great man!Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

evening all

Does anyone know where i can see where the'red' areas are?

I am sure we ok here in colchester but some of my family lives in mistley near the water?

They have only just moved there so they dont know what the areas like.?

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/142151.aspx

• Like 1

Posted

If you start to get flood water make your way up to services area,at least there is a toilet and food options.

Hope i dont have to,if i get flooded where i am this will be serious!

Posted

Bridge closure 2147:

Oulton Broad road bridge is to be closed shortly, Waveney District Council says.

It says water levels are now too high for cars to cross safely.

Webcam at Oulten seems to be out but there's a picture here from about 20 minutes ago.

http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/1363165406-Weather-Oulton-Broad-Webcam-HD-Oulton

Edited by Southernman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

stay safe everyone! This has really shocked me. I've been dreaming of snow and didn't think for a second we'd have floods to think about. The red warning comes to just across the park from me. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Webcam at Oulten seems to be out but there's a picture here from about 20 minutes ago.

http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/1363165406-Weather-Oulton-Broad-Webcam-HD-Oulton

wow, seeing that is nothing like when we moored up there two years ago and watched the power boat racing at the Wherry Hotel.

Posted

hi lewis

thanks for that

anyone know where sh sands is

3.67 meters

2.72 above prediction

I used to sometimes work in the Thames Estuary for Trinity House and passed it many times.  If my memory is correct it is near the north end of the N Edinburgh Channel, roughly NE of Sheerness and E of Foulness(possibly north of Herne Bay?).  I'ts one of the biggest of the old WW2 anti aircraft forts in the Thames Estuary.

• Like 1

Posted

stay safe everyone! This has really shocked me. I've been dreaming of snow and didn't think for a second we'd have floods to think about. The red warning comes to just across the park from me.

Exactly just had phone call from my mum to say about some people being evacuated in faversham..... Jeez....Just been out at a friends a few miles from here was white out.... Big flakes...glad to have seen some but the wind up here earlier today was crazy but no real damage.... Now to think kent didnt really get the winds from this storm but are now having areas inundated by storm surge.... Stay safe people....
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just to reiterate, don't forget the dedicated storm thread has a few of the latest updates on it too. Anybody in prone areas, please take yourself and your most treasured possessions and pets if need be up to second floor level or above where at all possible. This is a developing situation right now I'm afraid.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78664-severe-storm-system-arctic-blast-thursday-5th-onwards/page-25

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Blimey. According to Kent news evacuation has been advised in lower areas of Strood and Rochester. Never thought they would be at risk they still seem pretty high above water to me Posted Image

Got a source for that?  :) Other half works on the medway city estate and her daughter lives near the strand in gillingham. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

CFS time

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pretty much the slow breakdown from blocking earlier in the month

Temperature - (-1) - Still on the cold side, unfortunately the low moving through the channel has mild air so no snow.

Precipition - (+1) - Looks pretty wet at times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Good site for real time tide readings

http://www.ntslf.org/data/realtime?port=Lowestoft

This from Lowestoft shows tide is early and huge almost 2m extra

The Lowestoft Weather Facebook page is saying this:

"Lowestoft town is under water. Currently 4 Fire engines on rescue missions the RNLI inshore rescue service have just arrived at south Lowestoft fire station. A major incident in Lowestoft is now ongoing."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Got a source for that?  :) Other half works on the medway city estate and her daughter lives near the strand in gillingham.

Can't link on my phone but check kentonline, that is what they are reporting. Take a look at the new red areas on the environment agency website too.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Right...it's high tide around here at about 01:30 tomorrow. So when the surge comes, does it rush down the river like, say the Severn Boar; or does it come later.

Please forgive my ignorance. Posted Image

I was wondering that too, especially given what can happen in hurricanes. I suspect it'll be more like a very rapidly rising tide.

• Like 1

Posted

Just been down to Shoebury East Beach, it is already looking like a normal high tide, and we still have 4 hours to go. It could get interesting along the front, but no one is taking any precautions, its very quiet.

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm glad there are other sources of information now, re the tidal surge.

We'll hear nothing from the BBC, now that Nelson Mandela has died. To be honest his has been the longest death in history. RIP great man. I'm not trying to sound churlish. :(

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

i know you may all have seen this, but thought to copy on here in case any one of you need to refer to it for any reason: Don't forget the pets too!

The British Red Cross has issued advice for those in areas at risk, including: • Prepare an emergency kit including emergency numbers, insurance policy, first aid kit, torch and water. • Pack essential items you will need if evacuated - medication, clothing, toiletries and items for children. • Turn off the mains power and water, and take mobile phones and chargers with you in the event of an evacuation. • Avoid contact with floodwater where possible - it may be contaminated with sewage. • Don't allow children to play in or near flood water. • Check if vulnerable neighbours need any support

• Like 1