Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Hi everyone! Hubby is at Barking station and has seen a train go through spraying something onto the rails, antifreeze of some sort perhaps? How cold is it going to get?CD

There's been the RHTT (Rail Head Treatment Trains) going around this corner of the country today I've noticed on Greater Anglia's tweets. Yeah to sttop slippery lines... my train this morning was wheelspinning like mad.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh dear, dear ol' boy is likely to have a horrible journey cycling from the station! :((

Edited by crazy_diamond

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Nice squall line going through here in SE London,gusts between 50mph and 55mph,wheelie bins taking off etc.vertical rain and a little hail

Posted

There's been the RHTT (Rail Head Treatment Trains) going around this corner of the country today I've noticed on Greater Anglia's tweets. Yeah to sttop slippery lines... my train this morning was wheelspinning like mad.

as i said to crazy diamond, the trains not only spray water but can also lay a very thin film of sand mixed with a glue on to the running rails to give wheels a better grip (in theory!!)

on a weather note......the squall seems to have stopped and was very brief.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I am glad to see that comment that you replied to by Surrey has been deleted, most inappropriate considering that two people have lost their lives  and many people could be homeless due to flooding

It was an inappropriate and Ill-considered remark and I think Surrey should, perhaps post an appology.
  • Like 1

Posted

Nice squall line going through here in SE London,gusts between 50mph and 55mph,wheelie bins taking off etc.vertical rain and a little hail

Vertical rain?CD

Posted

Just spent 10 mins outside and was surprised at the level of wind down here  - really wasn't expecting it in Sussex like this and it will probably make for some dramatic sea shots tonight, as long as the water stays out at sea Posted Image

Looks like I should charge the camera and get the anemometer out later!

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest update on Norfolk:

One of Norfolk’s largest ever evacuation operations is underway, with thousands of people set to leave their homes and seek refuge from the looming floods.

In the Great Yarmouth area alone thousands of people are being evacuated in response to a number of severe flood warnings across the county. About 9,000 properties are being visited by police officers and staff over the next few hours to advise on plans for imminent evacuation. Norfolk police has said there will be a 36 to 48 hour evacuation which covers three anticipated high tides. Where possible people are being encouraged to make arrangements to stay with friends or relatives who do not live in the affected areas. For those who cannot do this rest centres are being set up this afternoon.

Norfolk’s Deputy Chief Constable Charlie Hall, who is leading the multi-agency response, said: “This is a significant policing operation underlined by the number of people and properties affected over the next two days. “We understand people may be anxious, but we would like to reassure residents that Norfolk has tried and tested flood response plans which are being put in place, in line with Environment Agency advice. “Such disruptions are entirely necessary to ensure the safety of everyone involved and for the evacuation to be conducted in a planned and organised manner.â€

The high tide is due to reach Kings Lynn by 7pm, moving on to Great Yarmouth by 10.30pm and Lowestoft by 10:45pm. It is expected to progress south down the coastline through the evening. Properties in the South Yarmouth, North Yarmouth, Caister, Southtown and Cobholm areas of Great Yarmouth are being evacuated.
Rest centres in Great Yarmouth areas will open from 2pm and include Flegg High, Martham Primary, Caister High, Cliff Park High, Ormiston Venture Academy and Lynn Grove High.

Sandbag locations include Beach Coach Station, Pasteur Road car park (opposite Topps Tiles), Southgates Road, Quay Road, Gorleston by the toilets and the Runham Road junction. An additional site will open from approximately 1pm at the bottom of Beaconsfield Road (Northgate end). Sand and bags are available but people need to bring their own shovels

In Wells, the site manager at Pinewood Caravan Park has made the decision to evacuate 22 touring vans. Sixty-one properties will be evacuated at 4pm in the East Quay, The Quay and Freeman Street areas.

The flood barrier at Wells will be closed at 5pm alongside the following roads; Polka Road, Stanley Road and Freeman Street.
A rest centre will be set up at Alderman Peel High School in Market Lane in Wells.

Wells harbour master Bob Smith said the weather is “getting worse by the hour†but said he is waiting to see what happens and the weather progresses and will get a better view when the tide comes in.

In Blakeney 30 properties are to be evacuated. The Blakeney Hotel has 66 people staying, they will be closing the flood door.

In Salthouse some 23 properties will be evacuated and at 5pm a road closure will be put in place on the A149 coast road.

Walcott has 52 properties to be evacuated and the coast road will be closed.

Evacuation centres in north Norfolk are being prepared to accommodate residents who are having to leave their homes. If you are advised to leave your home, your designated evacuation centre will be the following, open from 4pm:

â–  Blakeney - Blakeney Village Hall

â–  Cley - Cley Village Hall

â–  Morston - Morston Village Hall

â–  Salthouse - The British Columbia Hall

â–  Walcott - The Lighthouse Inn

â–  Wells - Alderman Peel School

The centres are used to muster those who cannot get out of their homes. If the flooding is set to be prolonged, people will be moved into rest centres, which are also being open from 4pm. These are at Holt Community Centre, Stalham High School, and Alderman Peel High School, Wells. The South Quay car park in King’s Lynn along the quay side will be closed from 3pm. Anyone parking their car is asked to remove it before this time. Shepherd’s Port area of Snettisham, coastal areas of Heacham and South Hunstanton have received evacuation notices. Approximately 500 homes properties in that area are affected and residents are being asked to leave for their own safety. A rest centre has been set up at Hunstanton Community Centre in Avenue Road for those affected.

Roads due to be closed in these areas include South Beach Road in Hunstanton (from the top of the road at Oasis Way roundabout), Jubliee Road (near North Beach and the flood defence) and South Beach (near the flood defences) in Heacham and Beach Road in Snettisham. Norfolk police are issuing the following advice to people:

• Take any medication and valuables you may need.

• Do not wade through any flood water, even if it is still. Drain covers can shift during flooding and pose a danger to anyone wading through the area.

• Stay away from flooding areas, particularly riversides and seaside areas.

• Road closures will be in place for public safety and pedestrians are also strongly advised to avoid these areas.

Meanwhile the Highways Agency is advising road users to be cautious and avoid parts of the A47 and A12, and all routine roadworks planned for today and tomorrow on the road network have been cancelled and will be rescheduled once normal weather conditions have returned. The agency is working with its contractors to make extra resources available along the parts of the network that are at risk, including the A47 between Acle and Great Yarmouth and the A12 between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.

Additional staff are being deployed to help keep trunk roads in these areas clear of debris following the high wind gusts of this morning and to ensure any incidents are cleared rapidly. Breydon Bridge on the A12 between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft is likely to be closed this afternoon. Live traffic information updates are available on the Highways Agency website at www.highways.gov.uk/traffic and the latest weather forecasts can be found at www.metoffice.gov.uk People are being urged to be on the alert for any further warnings from the Environment Agency. People in affected locations should call the Environment Agency’s Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for further information. For further information follow @norfolkpolice #floodaware #norfolk on Twitter or visit the Environment Agency website www.environment-agency.gov.uk

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/regional_picture_4pm_update_huge_evacuation_operation_begins_from_hunstanton_to_great_yarmouth_1_3080978

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just stuck my head out the door here and wind seems to have dropped quite a bit now, in the light I saw bins, buckets etc strewn across the lawn but figured, no point collecting them until the wind drops, too dark now though to do that.  Feeling cold though.

Posted

Not heard much about potential flooding in sandwich.... Are they evacuating? Meant to be pretty severe later tonight according to ea...

Looks like they are being asked to prepare to evacuate:

Email alert to Sandwich residents

Residents of Sandwich in Kent have been told to get ready to evacuate their homes. The Environment Agency sent residents an email topped with this stark heading: "Severe Flooding. Danger to life." It said: 

High tides on Friday 6 December will cause dangerously high water levels which will flood properties in this Flood Warning Area. This poses a serious risk for both high tides on Friday. Our staff are working to minimise the impacts. Water levels may be high before the predicted astronomical tidal peak. This is because the surge is raising water levels before the peak of the astronomical tide and are likely to overtop some flood defences in the area.

Act now to protect yourself, family, neighbours, pets and valuables.

You may experience power cuts and loss of services.

Stay in a high place with a means of escape.

Be ready should you need to evacuate from your home. Co-operate with the emergency services and call 999 if you are in immediate danger.

The Environment Agency, which covers England and Wales, is currently showing 41 severe flood warnings, 125 flood warnings, and 77 of the lowest level flood alerts. Most of the severe warnings are along the whole east coast as far south as Sandwich, Kent. There is another clump of severe warnings just north of Liverpool on the west coast and on the south coast near the Isle of Wight.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/05/uk-weather-warning-east-coast-braced-for-floods-live-updates

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Was about to question that myself Posted Image

MAybe it was going upwards?

Maybe the post was meant to say horizontal?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Well if this isn't snuggles weather, I don't know what is.

Stay safe out there, y'all.

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 2

Posted

Glad I wasn't on any planes today! Some great footage of two attempted landings at Birmingham today - http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/05/uk-weather-dramatic-footage-shows-planes-unable-to-land-at-birmingham-airport-amid-gale-force-winds-4218358/?ITO=facebook

• Like 3

Posted

Well if this isn't snuggles weather, I don't know what is.

Yup, I can be found on days/nights like this snuggled up under the fleece throw on the sofa, about the only rare time you would find me seeking out TV to watch or a good DVD, then again I often read a bit more of any book I currently have on the go too. Have 3 fleece throws 1 for each sofa and another for the bed, so I can snuggle under the throw and duvet (with a book), I think they are brilliant for that use when it is cold out.

Total peace and quiet here now, the only noise is the tapping of me on the keyboard (bliss).

Posted

Glad I wasn't on any planes today! Some great footage of two attempted landings at Birmingham today - http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/05/uk-weather-dramatic-footage-shows-planes-unable-to-land-at-birmingham-airport-amid-gale-force-winds-4218358/?ITO=facebook

Go-arounds are not unusual, but the skill of the pilots is superbly shown in those 2 videos. Phew.

I just hope everyone in the areas under threat tonight and beyond heed the warnings, follow the advice given and remain safe.Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

Just look at all the alerts! http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/142151.aspx

Spreading alerts inland more now.. Southend, Rochford, Hullbridge now covered by them. Slowly getting towards me... hopefully Rayleigh will stay clear.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Evening, crikey it looks like I dodged a bullet by moving here. I really hope the house back in Great Yarmouth doesn't end up underwater, still got a lot of valuables back there and well I wouldn't want any family or pets to get into harms way either. Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Blimey!  glad now I live further in land and high up then.

Need to pop out at some point soon as the moo juice is getting very low.

Gone oh so quiet here now, no rain or howling wind.