Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Frosty evening for walking the dog, with a thick covering on the car roofs, which I couldn't resist running my finger across to check how well settled in it was, especially on the blue or red cars for some reason; my son told me off in case we had to do a runner for setting off car alarms, kids of today eh? Local weather station saying 1.3 degrees and clear, which sounds about right. Hoping it holds until the morning as I like waking up to a frost, although it's helpful if it's cleared by the time we pull away so as not to spend 5 minutes ice scraping. Hope AS is now safely home after his L-O-O-O-N-G day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Feeling chilly as the heating went off normal time at 8 pm.

Not normally up this time but still making cake pops for maisey school xmas fair tommorow.

Getting a tad fed up as didnt relise what a silly idea cake pops were!

3 hrs in and still waiting for them to set to put the baggys and ties on.................zzzzzzzzz.

So probably 4 hrs for 35 cake pops omg.

• Like 2

Posted

just went out and the cars are icing up now

fax for monday

Posted Image

a weak westerly flow

looks likely a lot of cloud on this chart

temps

Posted Image

although these uppers look warm the surface will not be

with cloudcover i would see temps around 8 degrees

expect fog overnight as well

no rain expected

ukmo at 144

Posted Image

Posted Image

dry cloudy and temps 8 maybe a 10 if lucky

overall pretty boring

take your pick what happens next it all depends where this high decides to sit

• Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

ecm ensembles

show dry again

temps average

fi is the 12th on there as disagreement and a jump which looks odd on ecm

lets see if the pub run chucks out some nice ensemble runs

Edited by john pike
  • Like 2

Posted

just went out and the cars are icing up now

Few hours ago it was 1.6c frosty cars..... Now 3c wind picking up cloud increasing..... No frost here now..... 6c by 6am?

Posted

From the Environment Agency's website (http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/142151.aspx) it looks like Kent is going to bear the brunt of the storm surge, with a Severe Flood Warning for Sandwich and Flood Warnings for the surrounding area + Gravesend.  Not good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Frosty here and I had too many choccy biscuits earlier resulting in a sugar rush but I did win at scrabble beating mr P by over 100 points :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

From the Environment Agency's website (http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/142151.aspx) it looks like Kent is going to bear the brunt of the storm surge, with a Severe Flood Warning for Sandwich and Flood Warnings for the surrounding area + Gravesend.  Not good.

Not good as I work right next to the Thames in northfleet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Lovely clear, crisp and cold night in Ippy. The stars are out and Orion is watching over us from above. :)

Have a good night, all. See you tomorrow. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Communities urged to prepare for worst east coast tidal surge in 30 years

04-Dec-2013

Communities along the length of the east coast of England should be braced for the most serious coastal tidal surge for over 30 years.

The Environment Agency and Met Office are warning that gale-force winds, large waves and a tidal surge caused by low pressure will combine with high tides tomorrow (Thursday), throughout Friday and to Saturday morning, bringing a risk of significant coastal flooding.

In some places, sea levels could be as high as those during the devastating floods of 1953. However, flood defences built since then – including the Thames, Deptford and Hull Barriers – mean that many parts of the country are much better protected than in 1953.

One severe flood warning in place

The Environment Agency recently issued a severe flood warning – its highest category – to homes and businesses near The Quay in Sandwich, Kent, for high tides at 00:43 and 13:06 on Friday. At present, there are also 16 flood warnings and 52 flood alerts in place.

Areas most at risk

These include the North Sea coast from Northumberland down to the Thames Estuary and Kent.

The tidal reaches of the River Trent, Nottinghamshire, could also be affected.

And on the west coast, from Cumbria down to Cheshire, severe gales and large waves combined with high water levels are also expected tomorrow (Thursday).

The Environment Agency will be closing the Thames Barrier on Thursday night to defend London, in addition to operating other defences including those at Colne in Essex and Hull.

Natural Resources Wales, the organisation which leads on flooding in Wales, is urging people along the north Wales coast between eastern Anglesey and Liverpool to be prepared for flooding on Thursday.

Dr Paul Leinster, Environment Agency Chief Executive, said: 'Gale force winds and large waves along the east coast of England are forecast during Thursday and Friday, coinciding with high tides and a significant coastal surge'.

'Flooding of some coastal communities is expected and some defences could be overtopped by the combined effect of high tides, high winds and a tidal surge.'

'Coastal paths and promenades will be highly dangerous as there is an increased risk of people being swept out to sea.'

'The Environment Agency is monitoring the situation closely, working alongside partners including the emergency services, Met Office and local authorities. Environment Agency teams are out on the ground checking that flood defences and barriers are in good working order, monitoring sea levels and issuing flood warnings.'

'People should check the Environment Agency website or follow @EnvAgency and #floodaware on Twitter for the latest flood outlook, and to sign up to receive free flood warnings.'

Further information

Environment Agency flood warnings, updated every 15 minutes

Follow the Environment Agency on Twitter

Met Office weather forecasts and warnings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Just got home after a evening in a cold barn, changed the cambelt so was bare hands touching cold metal for few hours lol, glad to be home as need my dinner and a hot bath!

still no frost on any cars here so not sure if I will get my first frost tonight or not..

Posted

Communities urged to prepare for worst east coast tidal surge in 30 years04-Dec-2013Communities along the length of the east coast of England should be braced for the most serious coastal tidal surge for over 30 years.The Environment Agency and Met Office are warning that gale-force winds, large waves and a tidal surge caused by low pressure will combine with high tides tomorrow (Thursday), throughout Friday and to Saturday morning, bringing a risk of significant coastal flooding.In some places, sea levels could be as high as those during the devastating floods of 1953. However, flood defences built since then – including the Thames, Deptford and Hull Barriers – mean that many parts of the country are much better protected than in 1953.One severe flood warning in placeThe Environment Agency recently issued a severe flood warning – its highest category – to homes and businesses near The Quay in Sandwich, Kent, for high tides at 00:43 and 13:06 on Friday. At present, there are also 16 flood warnings and 52 flood alerts in place.Areas most at riskThese include the North Sea coast from Northumberland down to the Thames Estuary and Kent.The tidal reaches of the River Trent, Nottinghamshire, could also be affected.And on the west coast, from Cumbria down to Cheshire, severe gales and large waves combined with high water levels are also expected tomorrow (Thursday).The Environment Agency will be closing the Thames Barrier on Thursday night to defend London, in addition to operating other defences including those at Colne in Essex and Hull.Natural Resources Wales, the organisation which leads on flooding in Wales, is urging people along the north Wales coast between eastern Anglesey and Liverpool to be prepared for flooding on Thursday.Dr Paul Leinster, Environment Agency Chief Executive, said: 'Gale force winds and large waves along the east coast of England are forecast during Thursday and Friday, coinciding with high tides and a significant coastal surge'.'Flooding of some coastal communities is expected and some defences could be overtopped by the combined effect of high tides, high winds and a tidal surge.''Coastal paths and promenades will be highly dangerous as there is an increased risk of people being swept out to sea.''The Environment Agency is monitoring the situation closely, working alongside partners including the emergency services, Met Office and local authorities. Environment Agency teams are out on the ground checking that flood defences and barriers are in good working order, monitoring sea levels and issuing flood warnings.''People should check the Environment Agency website or follow @EnvAgency and #floodaware on Twitter for the latest flood outlook, and to sign up to receive free flood warnings.'Further informationEnvironment Agency flood warnings, updated every 15 minutesSign up for free flood warningsFollow the Environment Agency on TwitterMet Office weather forecasts and warnings

Not looking good for Sandwich,spent most of my working life on a site at Sandwich with the River Stour on three sides! we had people in rubber boats paddling up to one end of the site on one very high tide.A few years later they built a wall up about a foot around the riverside borders only for the river to nearly over top it a year or two later,the wall was last raised to over 3 feet so it should be enough to protect the site.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

And I live in Greenhithe, not far from Asda.... Still, I have my wellies. :-D

Though not looking too good reading that, under a flood warning here so I'll be keeping a close eye on things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Just the lurg, but it has hit me harder than I thought I would, solids are a no no at the moment.

Take care Jax......There is a nasty little Bug-ger around atm. I hope you haven;t got it.This one is not man or even girlie flu.......this is like  mumps and whooping cough combined...  I'm now in my fourth week and have never ever had a bug as bad as this before.....Two courses of antibiotics haven;t dented it, still deaf in one ear, horrendous sore throat, lymph nodes all over the place....and a hacking cough that prevents me eating, keeps me awake all night and I'm sure has cracked all my ribs.   I'm now doing the hospital rounds for Xrays/swabs/cultures/bloods etc and am  managing to get a couple of hours sleep on a potent mix of wine, heavy duty painkillers and ice cream!All I can say is...

a) hope you haven;t got it

b) glad I'm not living in Scotland or Sandwich

c) given the sudden temp drop here tonight, let's hope all the thick lined curtains I've ordered off ebay arrive shortly.xxx

Posted

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136443.aspx

a very good site to keep your eye on river levels etc

click on your area then the river your are looking for

i assume the thames barrier should be closed as well

lets hope things do not get to bad

keep watching the warnings though

• Like 1

After our press saying Arctic blast for UK  they should see the American Arctic blast on tv tonight!!!! 24 states hit by freezing temps and heavy snowPosted Image

To be honest the uk weather is nothing to complain about we are very lucky really it's never as bad as other countries we get off lightly I think ! :)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Stornoway in the western Isles reporting heavy thunderstorms at the moment? anyone know whats going on there at the moment?

Posted

Morning all. Nice to report something different today from dirty Dartford, its frosty out. Cricket ain't to bad for those who want to have a look. Good luck to anyone who might be affected by the storm surge later today.

Edited by Charltonkerry