Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 30th November onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Whatever will Nick Sussex make of the ECM??

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will it or won't it?

It will, negatively tilted retrogression to GL as well.

Looking good in far FI but can it stay like that?

The thing is that the building of high pressure starts in semi-reliable its just the in-between that we need to focused on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking good on the Ecm 12z op within the reliable timeframe, the brief arctic blast will plunge down through the uk during thursday to bring a cold night and an even colder icy feeling friday and saturday, snow showers briefly to areas bordering the irish sea, some streaming through the cheshire gap but a swift transfer of the snow showers to the eastern side of the uk with western and central areas becoming largely fine and frosty, the most frequent snow showers generally across the far north & east of scotland. During friday the N'ly gales ease down and the snow showers leave the mainland behind but i'm more interested now on how the next few weeks will shape up, there is a chance of a much colder and long lasting blocked pattern as we head towards christmas with very cold air heading in from the east.Posted Image Posted Image

post-4783-0-43379900-1386014377_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-49564200-1386014387_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-89147200-1386014402_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-98185900-1386014429_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-52227500-1386014460_thumb.jp

post-4783-0-29390500-1386014479_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Its not a staight forward case of the Met office coming on board IF the ECM shows a possible easterly setting up over the following  runs ,on their data and charts that we dont see If an easterly is possible going by their data they will gradually ease it into the extended outlook as the days go on .Yes easterlies resulting from a descent high to our n/east dont happen much but with the right conditions can deliver big time .And going by tonights charts and other data i would say theres a fair chance of a scandy or northern europe high setting up .Take a long look at the monthly outlook from today ,and basically after 15 days they will not commit to anything ,We can only use the modells as a tool not a crystal ball ,ITs one hell of an Atmosphere up there with things going on we have little Knowledge on ,although we are starting to learn in this modern age with computers .so taking ECM and to some extent GFS They are Sniffing at something ,so we can discuss the possibilitys of an easterly because its there in the output .And this is only Day 2 ,Bring out the STellas .Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

What page number are we on people???? Oh.......lols

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

JMA showing the cold getting into Scotland, N Ireland and Northern England on Thursday

Posted Image

Everywhere cold on Friday

Posted Image

Coldest air gone by Saturday

Posted Image

Ends with high pressure moving into Scandinavia and for the meantime we are mildish compared with above

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

From what I have seen model wise the last few days regarding the northerly

cold snap later this week is that the UKMO model has been the most

consistent. The ECM has been way to amplified and the GFS as flat as a

pancake and to progressive although it now looks as if it may have been

nearer the mark in that respect.

When a looming cold spell is only 5 or 6 days out and the models still

differ from one another I think it is fair to say no one model is going to

be right.

The ECM should always be treated with some scepticism when it shows a much

more amplified pattern than the other two models and the GFS like wise bhen

it shows a much more progressive and flatter pattern. As for the UKMO model

I would say 90% of the time if it isn't on board forget it.

• Like 6

Posted

You may be correct but believe me you woudnt want a winter anything like 62-63 trust me!!Posted Image

It would be mighty interesting.

Would this help to get a scandi high?

Posted Image

Goes right upto 30mb level almost to 20mb level.

Edited by Winter Monsoon

Posted

You may be correct but believe me you woudnt want a winter anything like 62-63 trust me!!Posted Image

nah, give me 1947 it was snowier than 63Posted Image

Let's hope the Ecm really has latched on to this new trend for an increasingly blocked and eventually much colder pattern, get the cold in place and wait for the siberian express and powder snow.Posted Image

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 9

Posted

Thankfully there are some GEFS 12z perturbations which are more bullish about keeping the arctic blast going strong throughout friday with snow showers and strong Northerly winds across the eastern side of the uk, would be nice to squeeze an extra day out of this.

post-4783-0-99980200-1386016487_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-49854500-1386016496_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-11433600-1386016505_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-97296600-1386016513_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-97570800-1386016521_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-10060400-1386016531_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-15261300-1386016540_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-48101300-1386016553_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

It would be mighty interesting.

Would this help to get a scandi high?

Goes right upto 30mb level almost to 20mb level.

certainly looks good - i suspect its trop led. i note the deep fi warming at the top is still modelled. i suspect by xmas we may begin to see some serious action in the upper strat. whether it downwells to the trop is another matter.

fwiw, i think the action on the scandi ridge is too far east over the next 10 /14 days to have our name on it. i am yet to see convincing evidence that any low heights can make it through the blocking to our south to advect the cold west. the cold pool looks to far east to manage to get here without any forcing. that would leave us with a chilly easterly drift - really not a surprise given the extended ecm ens for london over the past few days and exeter's updates. remember what stewart used to say - ' the trend is your friend'.  that led us to the northerly and then to the eastward progression of the flow. then onto the scandi ridge. not sure where the trend is to follow this. it looks pretty strong to me and could easily sit over most of nw europe for some considerable time.  there will always be curveballs thrown in by the ops but i guess the secret is to spot when they are feasible. hope i'm wrong on the cold pool but it may well be beyond mid month before we see some movement west of those deep cold uppers. in the meantime, europe will slowly head into the freezer and without any strong flow over the uk, we could easily do so to - certainly an inversion possible.  would like to see the canadian vortex and its lobes back off a bit further west to allow the pattern to retrogress further. no evidence thats likely though.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Looking good on the Ecm 12z op within the reliable timeframe, the brief arctic blast will plunge down through the uk during thursday to bring a cold night and an even colder icy feeling friday and saturday, snow showers briefly to areas bordering the irish sea, some streaming through the cheshire gap but a swift transfer of the snow showers to the eastern side of the uk with western and central areas becoming largely fine and frosty, the most frequent snow showers generally across the far north & east of scotland. During friday the N'ly gales ease down and the snow showers leave the mainland behind but i'm more interested now on how the next few weeks will shape up, there is a chance of a much colder and long lasting blocked pattern as we head towards christmas with very cold air heading in from the east.Posted Image Posted Image

This may sound crazy, but I think we are on the cusp of something that may turn out similar to 1962/63. I reckon that around christmas will be the turning point and massive Northern blocking will establish itself at first over Scandi and linger around Iceland and ridge into Greenland too. It probably won't be enough to 'rival' 62/63, but I definitely think that something is on the cards. The trend is to definitely perk up the heights towards the NE, and for the polar vortex to be placed over N America, which will amplify the heights towards Greenland and the arctic. Some may dispute me now, but I'd appreciate a little patience through December, then we will see how things pan out. We shall see.

Having had a rather stressful kind of day (not weather related btw)Posted Image I'm certainly buoyed up by a certain number of posts on here tonight. Despite the fact we here in Ireland are less likely to enjoy or indeed benefit from a possible cold feed of easterlies off the continent than you guys, anything would be better than the now highly anticipated milder interlude predicted from Sun-Tues inclusive.

I am so willing this chart to be the initial step in something really special down the line.

post-17830-0-26986100-1386017491_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted

The Ecm 12z ensemble mean keeps it on the cold side even when the nw'ly arctic blast blows itself out later on friday, friday looks bitterly cold with residual snow showers only slowly dying out in the east, then a fine, very cold and frosty weekend. Into next week, most of the uk retains surface cold with high pressure becoming centred to the southeast of the uk bringing a gentle southeasterly continental drift with widespread night frosts and sunny days, perhaps the air will be too dry for much in the way of fog, only the far northwest of the BI showing a significant rise in temps as a moister sw'ly flow develops but for many it looks dry, fine and rather cold beyond next weekend.

post-4783-0-45775100-1386017816_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-63985500-1386017829_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-17100300-1386017840_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-85668200-1386017850_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-68203000-1386017863_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-98911100-1386017875_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

certainly looks good - i suspect its trop led. i note the deep fi warming at the top is still modelled. i suspect by xmas we may begin to see some serious action in the upper strat. whether it downwells to the trop is another matter.

fwiw, i think the action on the scandi ridge is too far east over the next 10 /14 days to have our name on it. i am yet to see convincing evidence that any low heights can make it through the blocking to our south to advect the cold west. the cold pool looks to far east to manage to get here without any forcing. that would leave us with a chilly easterly drift - really not a surprise given the extended ecm ens for london over the past few days and exeter's updates. remember what stewart used to say - ' the trend is your friend'.  that led us to the northerly and then to the eastward progression of the flow. then onto the scandi ridge. not sure where the trend is to follow this. it looks pretty strong to me and could easily sit over most of nw europe for some considerable time.  there will always be curveballs thrown in by the ops but i guess the secret is to spot when they are feasible. hope i'm wrong on the cold pool but it may well be beyond mid month before we see some movement west of those deep cold uppers. in the meantime, europe will slowly head into the freezer and without any strong flow over the uk, we could easily do so to - certainly an inversion possible.  would like to see the canadian vortex and its lobes back off a bit further west to allow the pattern to retrogress further. no evidence thats likely though.

Brilliant post BA Posted Image  From the last few days, I think an anticyclonic south easterly/easterly feed is looking the most likely outcome even though GFS is still toying with milder SW. ECM Ens have been pretty solid on this continental feed though. The cold pool will be too far east at this stage however even with quite high uppers, this flow can deliver v low surface temps. ECM 12z det for example. +6 uppers on the 11th but surface temperatures a chilly max of 2c and overcast for B'ham. http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Birmingham/long.html    Hopefully we can get something to help trigger that cold pool west as we move towards xmas period.

Edited by bradythemole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

From what I have seen model wise the last few days regarding the northerlycold snap later this week is that the UKMO model has been the mostconsistent. The ECM has been way to amplified and the GFS as flat as apancake and to progressive although it now looks as if it may have beennearer the mark in that respect.When a looming cold spell is only 5 or 6 days out and the models stilldiffer from one another I think it is fair to say no one model is going tobe right.The ECM should always be treated with some scepticism when it shows a muchmore amplified pattern than the other two models and the GFS like wise bhenit shows a much more progressive and flatter pattern. As for the UKMO modelI would say 90% of the time if it isn't on board forget it.

Indeed I would say this northerly has yet again been dropped more or less completely , or at least in comparison to what it was showing a few days ago , this wkends cold plunge is as short as last wkends brief fling with the northerly wind, and yet absolutely know one said a thing about it last wkend , mainly because it wasn't bigged up by the models in the days leading up to it . But it's been yet again another lesson for the ones that bought into the fickle predictions made by the models , but when one isn't backing it , nothing is a dead cert. All the stick the gfs gets for been rubbish but in reality this has been the best by a country mile in nailing this latest fiasco . As for the easterly . Believe it when it actually comes , not when the ECM is showing it at t192 . Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Very wary of ECM at moment especially as we are near the 1st anniversary of the Beasterly that never happened.Posted Image Need to see more runs consistently show an Easterly develop and would like UKMO to jump onboard within their reliable timescale before I get too carried away lol!!I agree with BA that we in UK will be too far West for us to get impacted on(IF the Easterly does occur).However,i will be watching with great interest over next 5 days to see if heights continue to rise on the models once this weeks Northerly is out of the way!!.Looks like Denmark and Germany could get some serious winds by end of week(sorry off topic).One thing is that at least it looks mainly dry (especially in South) over next 2 weeks.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

For any newcomers id say stick with the ukmo when looking for a cold spell be it via the north or east.The other models out past the 200hr mark are great to look at and indeed do pick up trends ete esp in the nh charts.To avoid heartache and stress stick to the shorter time frames if its cold and snow your after.Look how the upcoming cold snap has panned out from five days ago!!Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

For any newcomers id say stick with the ukmo when looking for a cold spell be it via the north or east.The other models out past the 200hr mark are great to look at and indeed do pick up trends ete esp in the nh charts.To avoid heartache and stress stick to the shorter time frames if its cold and snow your after.Look how the upcoming cold snap has panned out from five days ago!!Posted Image

Excellent advice. With last year's failed eagerly only the ukmo was reluctant to be suckered in. The GFS was as guilty as the ECM, although it was the first to drop it like a stone. Many of us, including me, thought 2 v. 1 meant that ukmo was in the wrong but it stuck to it's guns and was right. That's my recollection anyway.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A couple of recent posts have been moved here-

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76235-model-banter-moans-and-ramps/

If views are not directly related to current charts then please use this other thread.

Thanks all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny and Dry with a Hard Frost.

For anyone playing Netweather 'forum bingo' this week has been great. I just need someone to post "I've always thought GEM is underrated" and I'm shouting 'House'......

• Like 2