Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 30th November onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

I spot -16 uppers creeping into northern Texas....

AO must be dropping like a stone by that point.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Perhaps Greece is a place coldies may want to go? 

Posted Image

Ends with the UK under mildish uppers, very cold across East and South East Europe.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

indeed I agree very robust looking high and placement is very important as nick says there is low heights dropping into the alantic and at 240 ecm I could stand corrected by a scandi high.

but it does look to be going into south east Europe which is not an ideal location.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013120112/ECM1-240.GIF

Or perhaps not given the continuing LP over Greece and Turkey.

An excellent chart for cold fans in the SE with a continental drift setting in and a very real prospect of fog. Whither then the HP - into Scandinavia (perhaps, perhaps not ?). I suspect we could still see the centre over Denmark or North Germany were there a T +264 on this model. That would be sufficient (with the right orientation) to advect colder air into southern Britain

• Like 1

Posted

well I stand correct the ecm 240 as steve suggested is epic

There is huge uncertainty at the moment at day 5 and 6 and therefore there is no point getting hung up on the opps in isolation. Wait for the ensemble groupings.Overall the outputs are pretty decent tonight considering its 1st December. Edited by Jason M
  • Like 4

Posted

ECM pretty much franks the 48 day cold spell for most, perhaps 60hrs in the far NE and 36hrs in the SW. Thereafter I'd suggest pretty decent agreement, with HP over Europe developing firstly 'milder' S flow and eventually a mild SW'erly during the 2nd week of Dec. The danger now is the 48hr cold spell shortens even further across the next 4 to 6 runs, but as things stand all of us look set to feel the first cold blast of Winter on Friday, with some of the white stuff also possible in the north...at least for now.

With all this talk of cold it's easy to forget the main Scottish barbecue season starts on the 10th? Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

This is how we want ECM to progress tomorrow.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Posted Image

So Hot and sunny in summer, bitterly cold and snowy in winter....I want eastern Med and southern Italy climate please...

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

ECM pretty much franks the 48 day cold spell for most, perhaps 60hrs in the far NE and 36hrs in the SW. Thereafter I'd suggest pretty decent agreement, with HP over Europe developing firstly 'milder' S flow and eventually a mild SW'erly during the 2nd week of Dec. The danger now is the 48hr cold spell shortens even further across the next 4 to 6 runs, but as things stand all of us look set to feel the first cold blast of Winter on Friday, with some of the white stuff also possible in the north...at least for now.

With all this talk of cold it's easy to forget the main Scottish barbecue season starts on the 10th? Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes essentially fits in with what Ian F said earlier of an essentially anti-cyclonic pattern with the Atlantic effecting the far NW at times, whether we can avoid some very mild weather on the whole will be dependent on the HP centre not slipping South.

Posted Image

So Hot and sunny in summer, bitterly cold and snowy in winter....I want eastern Med and southern Italy climate please...

BFTP

Yes, like some of the early 00s winters with potentially a lot of snow for Greece and Turkey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Great chart this

Posted Image

In July Posted Image

Bin....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Remember-

•  Circular, monostrength PV= Raging +AO/NAO= poor set up for hopes of cold.

•  Distorted, stretched PV with amplified jet and ridges/WAA across the N hemisphere= neutral or Negative AO and potential -NAO at times.

I don't see any of the first option on offer this evening which has to be a plus.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

What is the forecast for the NAO? Is it going to be a negative or a positive in the next few weeks?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Greece bathing in -8 to -10 uppers.happens all the time does my head in jammy sods

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Whether people on here admit it or not after a very brief colder spell thurs - sat we are looking at a period of 2weeks before any sustained cold may set up. Imo its a case of come back in two weeks to see if our prospects have improved.

Well, if you have been following the forum recently and not the express then this should have been obvious. Nobody has suggested HLB on this forum in the near future. Only recently have some knowledgeable members such as BA and Nick Sussex et all noticed the idea of a Scandi high gaining support. Therefore, we are doing quite well with regards tocold with a not that favourable a pattern at present. Cold northerly shots will keep the lions at bay while the larger picture is shaping up nicely with the continent forecast to cool significantly. The fact that the polar vortex is not dominating our weather at present is rather encouraging and has been a theme for the past 5 or so winters Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

... and as an extra. I dont like this GFS strat chart on Meteo so well - but it does go out much further. Right up to 384 we have a signal for continued warming over the Euro sector

Posted Image

If this comes off then it is possible the pattern may be supported by strat signals for a good 10 days or more. So a Scandy high evolution might be there for a while. That would be interesting.. wouldnt it? Mind you - bear in mind this is a GFS strat forecast at a million miles away - but strat forecasts are usually a bit more accurate than trop ones... and it only needs be a trend to keep the vortex buckled away from our sector to allow height rises to be maintained.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Ecm 12z op run is still looking very wintry later in the week with snow showers, N'ly gales and severe frosts, the ecm might be a bit quick killing the n'ly on saturday, it could be a 3 day Arctic blast, coldies should be happy with what the ecm is showing and what darren bett just showed on this evening's weather, areas exposed to the full force of this blast will have drifting snow. Nice end to the 12z with no sign of the atlantic coming back, indeed the blocking signal strengthens with a chance of european cold on the way as we go deeper into December...GOOD RUN.Posted Image

post-4783-0-32900200-1385925311_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-41196100-1385925319_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-23668700-1385925329_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-14327700-1385925336_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-28515400-1385925345_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-96118800-1385925352_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-57385900-1385925362_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-01771700-1385925398_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-77829000-1385925413_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-12293500-1385925539_thumb.jp

post-4783-0-82154800-1385925551_thumb.jp

post-4783-0-04076200-1385925570_thumb.jp

post-4783-0-02027200-1385925784_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Away for a day - over 800 users online, and page upon page of skim reading required. You can always tell when winter is in full swing on NetW - come here in the summer and we barely get to a new

page each day!

Fascinating watching this uncertain scandy evolution develop. I'm still in the camp that thinks it will not quite

make it, but for those that

saw my post of a day or so ago showing wave 1 warming slap bang over the uk, what we are now beginning to see is the models wrestle with this

data. The warming at the top

of the atmosphere will propagate downwards thus by day 9

Posted Image

Zonal winds at the moment are here - notice around 30m/s around 60N in the middle strat

Posted Image

dropping to around 20 m/s at

the same latitude by day 9

Posted Image

Remember that the warming

is in our sector of the NH, so this reduction of zonal winds is likely to be most exaggerated over the uk

Vortex impact? Some very

interesting images today at

day 9 once again. First at 100hPa - almost into the troposphere:

http://users.met.fu-

berlin.de/~Aktuell/strat-www/wdiag/figs/ecmwf1/ecmwf100f240.gif

Not quite a vortex split, but a

definite separation of sorts and as we have seen recently a marked meridional pattern. Higher up at 30 hPa in 10 days time, the same strat support for height rises

in our part of the world:

Posted Image

Note here the warming is a little further to the east, but helping to drive zonal winds away from the scandy sector in the days following this image - or so I would guess.

Conclusion? Scandy height rises look on the cards following the cold shot

coming - the evidence was

there a day or so ago - but just how great that ridging will be is uncertain. However if energy at the heart of the vortex is separated at 100hPa as on that 10 day

chart then chances increase all the time. Not enough to convince me yet, but enough for a definite loading of the dice towards that possible solution. One thing I dont think it will be is a return to

zonal at all. Another period of uk high with stagnant dross is my best guess but I would put proper scandy height rises into second place with zonal atlantic very much third.

For all strat doubters note again that the energy that has kicked this off was a wave 1 warming forecast at 1hPa and propagating downwards. No disconnect

here - once again,.

Fantastic post, very informative. It would lend itself to more drama in here as you point out that the effect of this warming will be exaggerated over the UK and thus, eye candy should start to appear on the NWP although this does not mean it will verify!
  • Like 1

Posted

What is the forecast for the NAO? Is it going to be a negative or a positive in the next few weeks?

Going by this I would say there is 50-50 chance of it going negative or positive.On closer inspection perhaps more of a negative NAO as we head into the first full week of Decemberhttp://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Fantastic post, very informative. It would lend itself to more drama in here as you point out that the effect of this warming will be exaggerated over the UK and thus, eye candy should start to appear on the NWP although this does not mean it will verify!

Yes - the models will toss up varied solutions I think over the coming days, but all pointing to height rises. I would emphasise though that even with zonal winds falling and warming helping drive the vortex away from uk/scandy sector we are still not anywhere close to the kind of strat conditions where zonal winds die right down and sometimes reverse - leading to all kinds of high lat blocking and easterly flow. The overall pattern would still suggest that it will be hard for a scandy ridge to evolve far enough north to bring a proper easterly to the UK... BUT this winter has been a very interesting one already - and its only 1 day old - and maybe... just maybe the constant ridging that has been evident over the aleutians and over the atlantic/uk is a sign of something this winter that might just give us something special early on.

Further on the optimistic side zonal winds will decrease naturally through Jan/Feb and if the blocking signal can be maintained then it will increasingly build further to the north. Plenty to look forward to even if we dont quite manage more than short lived blasts in December.

And the blast coming this next weekend is certainly looking like a special one! Another bit of evidence pointing to this winter being anything but ordinary. Perhaps winter 2013/14 will become known as the one where composite analgues didnt quite cut the mustard!

Edited by Catacol_Highlander
  • Like 4

Posted

I think it's a brave person who forecasts anything with any confidence for this weekend, let alone beyond from a from run to run, across the models and between the ensemble suites there's such a range of possible solutions being shown. It's probably one of the most used phrases in here over the years, but it's a good one - more runs are needed...

• Like 6