Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 30th November onwards

Paul

Posted

I maybe wrong but I believe this was relating to Robbie's observations with regard to the stratosphere given the attached charts and the only warming up Robbie would be talking about would be from within the stratosphere profile. Posted Image  Please somebody correct me of I'm wrong.

not sure there, maybe robbie could explain what he meant?

they are pressure anomaly charts, which would put the average HP centre over scandi. giving us something like this for example-

(taken from the GFS 00z and the nearest i could find quickly)

Posted Image

certainly not warm by any means! Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

In terms of a longer-term output, I can see things calming down for Christmas and something abit more warmer than what we have at the moment.  A firm Scandinavian ridge till the New Year I believe is the more expected output.  

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Looks like the green ghost from ghostbusters has taken over these images! Lol apologies mods...
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This is the type of pattern which could evolve this month. GEFS 06z  Perturbation 19 would be perfect and there are others which are trending.Posted Image

post-4783-0-99831000-1386082170_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-14097400-1386082180_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-50912200-1386082190_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-51550300-1386082201_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-97726200-1386082211_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-62564900-1386082221_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-37496500-1386082254_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-10541200-1386082269_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-26935800-1386082278_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-70486700-1386082294_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

not sure there, maybe robbie could explain what he meant?

they are pressure anomaly charts, which would put the average HP centre over scandi. giving us something like this for example-

(taken from the GFS 00z and the nearest i could find quickly)

Posted Image

certainly not warm by any means! Posted Image

Moreover, they only go out to the 17th/18th December. I suppose the pattern could persist into Xmas/New Year, but it's too early to say.

• Like 2

Posted

Moreover, they only go out to the 17th/18th December. I suppose the pattern could persist into Xmas/New Year, but it's too early to say.

Ohh no, you mean the Mother-in-Law might not make it down for Christmas?? .................*sobs tears of joy*

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

if an easterly influenced pattern does set up ,it could disappear for xmas and come back again after ,there are so many options on the possibility side that it becomes mind Numbing and Prozack territory ,all very  interesting and if it does come to fruition a fantastic forum discussion with loads of  IMBY and Pram wars .so tonights ECM will be the one to watch ,only a thousand tickets for tonights show available ,booking recommended .JOE Laminate next i fear .Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Exciting update there from Ian!  Sounds like a step change from the Met office is on its way! Hopefully the lunchtime update of the long range forecast update will reflect this !

I have been watching the GFS ensembles over the last few days and what started with 1 or 2 easterlies showing there have gradually been more and more so we are now at nearly 50% showing some sort of scandi High. Hopefully this trend will continue. We still need to see some ridging up towards Greenland though otherwise we just watch and drool as Europe gets covered and we are on the periphery

I've been on nights so have not read the met update but i read yesterday that they base their further outlook on the ECM monthly output which Matt H has this morning gone for a Scandinavia block mid month. It is nailed on for a change in forecast with precautions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Re - trailing segments of vortex, I know that these are complicated charts representing vorticity across an atmospheric layer, however without losing your mind to the physics involved provide an illustration of how the vortex is stretched.

Posted Imageecmwfpv475f240.gif

Great post Lorenzo, so the above chart would , in laymens terms, allow a Scandi high to form more easily (if it verifies) as there is little residual vorticity that has been left behind? Was it not mentioned a few days ago that the deep FI Greenland height rises did not come to fruition due to the models underestimating the amount of vorticity left behind.... if so, the above chart show be seen as encouraging but should not be taken as gospel

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

The GFS 12z shows the powerful low, bringing strong winds on Thursday to many northern areas, with a central pressure of mid 970s mb

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

12z being very progressive as always, much flatter also.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

12z being very progressive as always, much flatter also.

It is very much in line with this mornings UKMO though which is probably the model to watch for mid term developments.

Posted

I wonder if there a chance this potential Scandy block could become established for a length of time, to bring in the cold it may have too ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

UKMO view (just chatted with them) remains as before: i.e. for Scandinavian block to establish after next week's milder (for some, notably so) phase and a progressively colder return from SE/E thereafter.

Fergieweather, any chance of pert 19 GEFS 06z pleasePosted Image

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO 120h

Posted Image

Posted

UKMO view (just chatted with them) remains as before: i.e. for Scandinavian block to establish after next week's milder (for some, notably so) phase and a progressively colder return from SE/E thereafter.

fascinating update Ian.  What time frame we looking at here...10d-12d?  

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO 144 better than GFS 12z at the same time 

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

The most encouraging thing about recent output is Ian F's comments.

The Meto are taking a potentially easterly (that's what I construe as to his comments about cold spreading from E/SE parts) seriously and appear to be calling it the form horse.  We know that they more or less ignore the GFS at more than 8 days out, so I think we should do until that kind of timeframe.

Normally, though, the Meto are rather circumspect about these sorts of signals and with a minority of ensembles wanting the easterly, it seems to me that (as usual) they know more than we do, and therefore have something else to back up the pro-easterly view.

• Like 5

Posted

Pretty dreadful outlook in the medium term with high pressure becoming banked over Europe steering up mild southerlies for most away from the far south-east of the UK.

Outlook rather poor for cold searchers this evening.

- A pretty disappointing run up to Christmas is likely, nothing worse than a mild run up to Christmas, i think most enjoy frost and snow around the festive season.

But the period beyond December 15th could still develop nicely. Fingers crossed.

-- Main event in short term, with a significant wind event for Thursday with risk of widespread gusts to 70mph with some extreme gusts to 90mph possible in parts.

Edited by Matty M

Posted

The most encouraging thing about recent output is Ian F's comments.

The Meto are taking a potentially easterly (that's what I construe as to his comments about cold spreading from E/SE parts) seriously and appear to be calling it the form horse.  We know that they more or less ignore the GFS at more than 8 days out, so I think we should do until that kind of timeframe.

Normally, though, the Meto are rather circumspect about these sorts of signals and with a minority of ensembles wanting the easterly, it seems to me that (as usual) they know more than we do, and therefore have something else to back up the pro-easterly view.

There appears a solid build up of cold air to the east to tap into now...rewind a month back and many of us were chasing signals for an easterly...with a lack of a cold pool to the east.  IMO any easterly incursion from mid month would be notable indeed.  exciting times...

Posted

UKMO 144 better than GFS 12z at the same time 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Would that be due to nice the vacum towards Swenden / Finland way for the our high to slip into, whereby on the gfs there is more low presure in the way of high ridging north east.