Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I still cant believe how intense the rain and hail was. It was even heavier than any storm I seen in Florida.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Damn it seems to be passing to the south of here. Hope we get a shot here in the city.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

I knew the forecast for tonight was squally showers but I wasn't expecting this. I can't remember ever having thunder and lightning in winter and can't remember ever having it during the night, so to have both at the same time is unbelievable Jeff. i think a pipe has burst nest door with the torrential rain and gusts that we just had in that shower. I didn't see any forecasts of possible thunder and lightning tonight so I think it has caught everyone out.

• Like 2

Posted

The fact the Met Office forecast heavy showers for the west of Scotland yet don't mention any Thunder risk always possible during blustery showers in winter. Surprised further east into Central Scotland getting these Thundery Showers.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Most of the activity is north of Stirling in terms of rain,snow and hail.We are getting the rump of it with the lightning thrown in.Rannoch moor is getting obliterated on the web cams with snow or hail.

• Like 1

Posted

What a noise, sounded like cannons going off overhead. Looked out and the ground was white with hailstones.

Feel a bit sorry for my auld auntie looking after my dog tonight, she'll be going nuts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

That squall moving away from Glasgow now, another one maybe developing over the Cowal peninsula??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just when I had thought, that's enough weather for one day.. Couple of distant rumbles, possibly waking up the residents of Fife about now..

post-7292-0-57960100-1387068776_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

There I was watching the football and flash bang wallop - thought Grangemouth had gone bang ! Quiet again now but it will take a while for the hail to melt.

Posted

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IFOMIDVA2&day=14&year=2013&month=12

Faroes dropped to 935mb as that system passed North of the country.

Amazing reel on yr no a trio of weather bombs. http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa.html

post-7292-0-75096000-1387070196_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-50977000-1387070197_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Posted

Found this earlier and it is a great site, extremely hypnotic, so HC beware :)

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-5.98,39.26,512

Click the word Earth and a menu opens for other levels in the atmosphere, you can also click and drag the globe around.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Stormy Weekend Part Two now in full swing! We also had a few flashes of lightening last night about 10pm, but after that things really calmed down and we woke to a very still morning. We are off out in the afternoon to a Crimbo do Posted Image , so will probably get blown home later tonight! Stay safe all!

PS: How come my weather station always seems to miss the big gusts and only ever updates when the wind dies down? Grrrrrrr!

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted

Windspeed starting to pic up a little out there now.

The nearest LP reading 955mb on the latest surface plot.

post-7292-0-81015000-1387106623_thumb.gi post-7292-0-69937300-1387106668_thumb.gi

post-7292-0-67572500-1387107642_thumb.pn

Hurricane force 12 on the shipping forecast. Wild.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Aww that's nice of her, did she think you'd be scared? Posted Image (I am only on the wind up, I knew what you meant Posted Image )

I've never understood people who are scared of thunder, if you hear the thunder then the lightning hasn't killed you 

I've never forgotten the old lady up the road when I was little in the 80s, telling me about walking across some waste ground in London with her little girl, doing Christmas shopping at the very very end of 1945, and some thunder rumbled overhead and her little girl started running desperately, pulling at her Mummy's hand, shouting urgently, "come ON, Mummy! come ON!" because she assumed it was bombers and they had to find an air-raid shelter...

Puts it into perspective a bit, doesn't it?

Bit of rain and wind last night here, but nothing major. I put my light out at midnight, thinking, "blimey, bit windy and rainy, glad I'm indoors" and slept immediately, so it can't have been anything like what the rest of you had…!

Posted

Despite the thunder and lightning of last night we got none of the rain/hail some of you talked about infact don't think yesterday was all that bad just the rain was a bit heavy and it wasn't cold

Posted
Posted

What's this?...looks like we won't top 10c today for the first time since last Saturday. Outrageous ;-)

Mostly cloudy and 6.3c in moderate southerly breeze.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

After a relatively calm morning where I was able to snatch a walk up East Lomond, the wind has started picking up in the last half hour or so.

I was also looking at my weather data for up here and so far the mean temperature for December is a sobering 5.7C.  That compares with 2.4C last year, 2.9C in 2011 and -0.6C in 2010.

• Like 2

Posted

After a relatively calm morning where I was able to snatch a walk up East Lomond, the wind has started picking up in the last half hour or so.

I was also looking at my weather data for up here and so far the mean temperature for December is a sobering 5.7C.  That compares with 2.4C last year, 2.9C in 2011 and -0.6C in 2010.

It's certainly been notably mild. Mean temp at Aviemore 6.3c. A few sites, including Glasgow Bishopton and Edinburgh Gogarbank are yet to record an air frost this month:

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

• Like 1