Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Great link, really mild, feels like late Autumn never mind December !!

Feels like a typical Scottish Summer L!A bonus tae this though.Nae Central Heating require this morning.Big Innes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Was looking at the climate history graphs on Weather Online there, struggling to find a time in a recent December where it was so consistently mild. To my mind I thought maybe 2006 or 2007 would have been very mild, but not as much as this.

Watching the Galatasaray v Juventus game with envy. Istanbul, you have Glasgow's weather and we want it back!

• Like 2

Posted

April...............sorry December comtinues a pace. Can't remember it being this mild in a long time for december

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Maximum today 12.0C and dropping rapidly to currently 6.0C (-1.5C/hr).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

At work so cannot post charts, the 12z GEFS panel is worth a look for over the weekend, some truly insane systems projected within the perturbation suite.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=102

GFS spectacular at winding up low pressure systems, however many similar runs in this selection.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This is the GEFS 10m wind forecast for somewhere along the mate corridor (around Airdrie way) just as an example:

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2013121112/graphe7_1000___-4.528301886792452_55.91093117408907_.gif

I'm not 100% sure if this is gusts or sustained, but either way it's pretty bad, and if it's sustained (which I suspect it is) it has the potential to be worse than any of the storms we've seen in the last few years.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I am looking forward to some Atlantic storms after the recent boring weather, I just hope they are not to severe though and everyone stays safe!

• Like 1

Posted

Excellent post LS.Posted Image

The models do seem to be taking the troughing more into Europe and the jetstream that little bit further south in the further outlook and a period of cold zonality could hopefully be on the cards from Christmas onwards. I can remember January 84 being very snowy accross Scotland and a period of proper cold zonality would be very welcome while we wait for a proper HLB to develop !

Posted

Couple of others from the same timeframe following on from LS post, this with the Atlantic view.

Jet mean and control run

post-7292-0-52961300-1386800650_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-98377900-1386800646_thumb.pn

500hPa anomaly and also t850hPa anomaly.

post-7292-0-64647300-1386800652_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-97509300-1386800643_thumb.pn

Couple of other tempting charts from Huug Van Den Dool site - cracking name that !! Pretty nice charts too if you like Greenland highs Posted Image

post-7292-0-88823600-1386800653_thumb.gipost-7292-0-18890000-1386800883_thumb.gi

Just got to complete a Deadliest Catch grind through this positive NAO spell and fingers crossed the wait will all be worth it later on.. still lots going on to monitor within the reliable wrt. to the RACY systems bombing on the Jet.

Edit - add ECM mean at 96 hrs. ECM mean charts Now on Netweather http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ecmens;sess=

post-7292-0-48954800-1386801308_thumb.pn

Also the postage stamps are back for folks who want to look through the entire run.

post-7292-0-54794400-1386801353_thumb.gi

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Whit aboot  Scotster making a TV appearance tonight on the Winter In The Scottish Mountains programme oan the BBC ehPosted Image

Big Innes

• Like 5

Posted

Okay from the 18z pub run Ensemble - bombs away Posted Image

Three of the most extreme projections,  general track is in place, another 8 similar in that run either further North or less explosive.

post-7292-0-52643100-1386806133_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-62125300-1386806134_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-66002400-1386806135_thumb.pn

This evening Fax from Met office and 12z ensemble.

post-7292-0-18066200-1386806297_thumb.gi post-7292-0-63433100-1386806185_thumb.gi 

Going to be another amazing satellite reel on yr no from this one.

• Like 8

Posted

Morning all,

Another mild night generally: http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/amextremes.html

But it was chillier yesterday evening in the south of the country, a low of 1c at Leuchars and even an air frost at Eskdalemuir.

Looks like a stormy few days ahead!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Peeplings! Another murky day ahead, still don't have the central heating on! Metcheck saying snow for me on Monday...we'll see! Anyhoo, gauny be blawy over the next few days eh? Better tie everything doon jist in case!

• Like 2

Posted

Very windy overnight here with old farmhouse rattling a lot,not much sleep. A result of us being just north of the Cairngorms with the wind from a southerly direction. Judges who were here for the neep competiton!!!!!  yesterday said it was calm in Keith but could hardly stand in our  field in the late afternoon yesterday. Farm road now dry and dusty again a theme of 2013. Currently almost flat calm and 12.1c.

Love the model thread this morning where the models are being interpreted by where you live in the UK.  If it turns cooler by Christmas then the fact we all live in the north of the UK and are nearer the Arctic Cirle will aways give us a better chance of snow

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Whit aboot  Scotster making a TV appearance tonight on the Winter In The Scottish Mountains programme oan the BBC ehPosted Image

Big Innes

Cheers Posted Image  But for some reason my pals were more excited by my foot!

post-10976-0-32287900-1386840421_thumb.j

A thought-provoking programme.

Edited by Scotster
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

And here we go again...10C or so at 9am here, dry and earlier cloud cover now breaking up nicely to show large amounts of blue sky but the sun has yet to put in an appearance. A bit of a breeze coming and going, and that breeze felt warm when I was outside earlier.

As usual I forgot about that program on BBC Scotland last night, will have to see if I can find it on iPlayer.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

And here we go again...10C or so at 9am here, dry and earlier cloud cover now breaking up nicely to show large amounts of blue sky but the sun has yet to put in an appearance. A bit of a breeze coming and going, and that breeze felt warm when I was outside earlier.

As usual I forgot about that program on BBC Scotland last night, will have to see if I can find it on iPlayer.

Here you go: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03l5lvh

An unbearable 9.4C here but the murk is at least lifting so I'm off for a stroll in Glendevon :)

• Like 4

Posted

Thought it was you! excellent program and definetly thought provoking.  I know a few people who have been caught in a slide and its not fun.

Posted

Thanks for the link scotster, look forward to watching that, now that monopoly of telly by masterchef concludes !

Posted

Cheers Posted Image  But for some reason my pals were more excited by my foot!

Posted Image553172_10152060482100239_16.jpg

A thought-provoking programme.

I watched that last night too - and even rewound to show the Mrs this bit! Had no idea it was someone from on here Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

-10c, light winds with snow flurries.....

Sorry, in the Canadian rockies at the mo! :rofl: I'm mainly shocked I'm not missing snow in the UK which usually happens when im abroad! Slightly worried about my exposed house back home though as it didn't do that well in the last storm! Looks more of a sw'ly for the first storm than funnelling thro the Central belt this time which may help.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Judges who were here for the neep competiton!!!!!  yesterday 

Well??Don't jsut leave us all in suspense - how did your neeps do????

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Thanks for the link scotster, look forward to watching that, now that monopoly of telly by masterchef concludes !

What is it about Masterchef. I hate soaps and reality shows. Yet I am hooked on Masterchef. It must be to do with the skill of some of these Chefs and the funny comments from the experts about some of the disasters.It's gripping TV.
  • Like 2